Menu

Creative Writing and Public School -Help !

blessedmom3

Some of you might remember my thread :"My children are going to PS"

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243761

Well , I went to PS to register my 7 yo son . They told me he will be tested in math , reading and creative writing to see if he has 2nd grade skills, if not they will put him in 1st or even Kindergarten!

I showed them samples of my son's beautiful cursive & 3rd grade Rod&Staff , 3rd gr Singapore ( which is supposed to be 4th in PS,no?) Saxon 4/5 Math, but they did not care at all ...they say it matters mostly how well he does in reading and creative writing .

Does anyone know what they might ask for creative writing & reading? My son can read at 8th grade level with an excellent comprehension .He can spell well above his age. However, we never did a "dissection" of reading like they do in a reading program . We did not do a creative writing program either other than Writing with ease 1&2 and occasionally a book report . We did talk a lot about the book , but that's all. At times , I asked him to write a report on an animal or a planet . He also has a journal where he usually writes his pains :)

He will have the test on Wed. so I want to prepare him for that...I want him in 2nd grade , even there he won't be challenged but we won't convince the principal and teacher without a good creative writing skill , that's what they said.

Wow. That is just crazy! I've seriously never seen that stipulation & I've read many posts with homeschoolers transitioning into PS. Kids are all over the board with creative writing at a second grade level. I seriously cannot imagine that they would even consider taking a transferred student and placing them below grade level because the child wasn't up to par. It sounds like your son is advanced (waaaay more than my 7 year old, heck...he is just writing small sentences), so I'm sure your son will be fine. I hope someone chimes in and gives you good examples of what a typical assignment might look like. Try not to stress, so that your son will be relaxed too.

Susan

Wow. That is just crazy! I've seriously never seen that stipulation & I've read many posts with homeschoolers transitioning into PS. Kids are all over the board with creative writing at a second grade level. I seriously cannot imagine that they would even consider taking a transferred student and placing them below grade level because the child wasn't up to par. It sounds like your son is advanced (waaaay more than my 7 year old, heck...he is just writing small sentences), so I'm sure your son will be fine. I hope someone chimes in and gives you good examples of what a typical assignment might look like. Try not to stress, so that your son will be relaxed too.

Susan

He should normally go in 1st grade because he was born two weeks after their deadline (sept 1st) for that grade, but I requested him to be in 2nd grade because of his age and academic abilities and also we are considering moving to a state where the deadline is in Dec. so I just want him to be at his age&grade level with most kids in US. He is also tall for his age and emotionally mature for 2nd grade.

Not sure if this is their procedure with all homeschoolers entering PS .

I went to our state and read their standards ...I was very surprised what they expect even a K-er to know . This is no more what we did at that age , standards have changed ...they ask much too much for their age in my opinion . I was schooled in Europe and they have a different mentality still -- less school in the early years - more serious later .

Edited by blessedmom3

My ds is in 2nd grade top rating ps, In creative writing, they are either given a topic and write their thoughts on it, like Who is a special person in their family, what is so unique about him/her, and what makes him special to you or a topic what is their favorite winter sport.. etc.

They basically check grammar, punctuation, sentence formation and writing skills in it.

Other than that, they are given comprehensions to read and answer related questions (which are fairly simple), or write a book report, like writingdetails about a character , narrating story in few sentences..

I am pretty sure, if he is so advanced in math, he will have no issues. You can always iscuss with teh principal if you think they are not doing any justice to your son by placing in lower grades.

Wish you the best!

My ds is in 2nd grade top rating ps, In creative writing, they are either given a topic and write their thoughts on it, like Who is a special person in their family, what is so unique about him/her, and what makes him special to you or a topic what is their favorite winter sport.. etc.

They basically check grammar, punctuation, sentence formation and writing skills in it.

Other than that, they are given comprehensions to read and answer related questions (which are fairly simple), or write a book report, like writingdetails about a character , narrating story in few sentences..

I am pretty sure, if he is so advanced in math, he will have no issues. You can always iscuss with teh principal if you think they are not doing any justice to your son by placing in lower grades.

Wish you the best!

Thank you so much for giving examples . I guess he will do ok . I just asked this question and he was very detailed :) but I am not sure if he would do the same if asked to write it . He likes to talk , less to write :)