Menu

Do you use Artistic Pursuits?

kristinannie

I saw this in someone's siggy and I looked it up. It looks really wonderful! My son is extremely artistic and this seems to have a variety of art projects. The books are relatively expensive though so I wanted to get some feedback before I took the plunge. I was going to get the first of the K-3 books and the preschool book.

http://www.artisticpursuits.com/index.html

Also, is it worth it to buy the art kits or is it just easier to buy what you need on your own? I have a lot of those items already.

We really like AP! I'm in Canada, so I never bought any of the kits, I had to piece them together from companies that would ship to Canada and local stores, or else I likely would have.

The books ARE expensive, but include art appreciation/art history as well, and are totally non-consumable.

Likely my daughter's favorite subject, I should do it more often (I'm not a very projecty mom and my supplies are so scattered after several moves)!!

We use it and love it! I like that I can easily line it up with our history studies for the most part. Most of all, I love that my kids are learning art techniques that I could never teach on my own because my own art education was so limited. I'm learning right along with them! AP is one of the best curriculum choices we have made. The lessons are easy to impliment and my kids have learned a lot!!!! They think art is fun and aren't afraid to experiment or try new techniques.

I buy my supplies mostly from Hobby Lobby and watch for sales. I have bought a few things through Rainbow Resource when I'm placing my big order for the year.

We are using Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book One, and my daughters LOVE it! Like your son, my oldest dd is extremely artistic, and would draw 24-7 if I let her, so this curriculum was a good choice for us. I love that picture study is included, and that we are doing REAL art using real supplies. I purchased our supplies at Rainbow Resource when they had free shipping last December. If you already own most of the supplies, I'm sure you could get by without the kit, and just get what you need.

I'm so glad to hear these rave reviews!!! It looked wonderful to me, but I always feel like I need to talk to someone who has used a program that is this pricey. I know my son will LOVE it. I was worried about teaching him art since he is so artistically gifted and I am NOT to say the least!!! Do you all order it from their website or is it available somewhere else?

I bought the supply pack from one of their suggested art sites. I was able to subtract anything I already had.

I love Artistic Pursuits, but don't get to it as often as I'd like lately. I suppose splitting up art into three areas is making it harder to get to AP. (We now do general art, drawing, and art appreciation.)

We have the Pre-K version - The Way They See It (I got it at a homeschool consignment sale last year) and I was fairly un-impressed. I LOVE the look of the other books though and will definitely be looking into them again in the next year. The Pre-K version is just too...I don't know...maybe it would have been better for us when he was 3 or so...

We have been using Draw Write Now as well, but I really want something to focus on Art Appreciation in the coming years and so far AP seems to be one of the best out there!

I saw this in someone's siggy and I looked it up. It looks really wonderful! My son is extremely artistic and this seems to have a variety of art projects. The books are relatively expensive though so I wanted to get some feedback before I took the plunge. I was going to get the first of the K-3 books and the preschool book.

http://www.artisticpursuits.com/index.html

Also, is it worth it to buy the art kits or is it just easier to buy what you need on your own? I have a lot of those items already.

OP, thank you for posting this. I've been looking for something that includes both projects and art theory, and this looks like a good fit for us. Thanks!