Menu

Has anyone used the same math program for K-12 or at least K-8?

RayDad

Guest baemorgan

I was homeschooled K-12 and I think I began Saxon in 3rd grade maybe. I know they didn't have K or 1 at that point but I used Saxon all the way to graduation and am beginning Saxon K for my pre schooler this year and Saxon 1 with my 1st grader. We have a close friend who is a math teacher and has taught more than 20 years in public, homeschooled her children, and in tutorials. I called her the other week to ask what her opinion was and she said her opinion is that Saxon is the most complete program that she has seen yet. I don't know many people who do every problem in every lesson or even every lesson but it's a great program and I felt very prepared when I was finished.

Horizons & Singapore K-5. We'll be using them both for 6th next year. (My boys do all of Horizons, and Singapore Text, Workbook, CWP. They also did IP through 4th.)

I think we'll move to Dolciani for algebra in 7th. (Until this year, Horizons Math ended at 6th. Singapore switches from Primary Math series to Discovering Math/New Elementary Math which doesn't align as well with the US math sequence.)

My oldest I used BJU math for grades Prek-3rd, then we used Calvert math, and K12 (yuck)

She is my mastery math based kid. She used Saxon this year and totally struggled with it. I'll be going back to homeschooling her this year so I want to find something we can use and finish with for her. Not sure what yet though.

My 2nd, 3rd and 4th do fine with Saxon math.

My 2nd and 3rd will continue with it at school for next year. They want to go one more year.

I'm supplementing my 3rd with CLE at home. She loves math and its just right for me to let her use because she's very independent. When they come home for the next school year I will switch her over to CLE.

I'll continue with Saxon with my 2nd daughter.

My youngest is coming home and I will use CLE with her until 8th grade and then switch over to Saxon after that unless CLE plans on extending their math past 8th.

My older set of kids #'s 1,2&3 used Saxon ...we used living books, facts practice and manipulatives in real life mTh until 3rd grade and then started 54... They all went through to Advanced Math and then went to CC. Next ds did Saxon until 87 and then Teaching Textbooks.

We are now using CLE for my 3 youngest children and will continue through 8th grade. I have not yet looked at their beta algebra...but I will. My plan is to go from CLE to teaching textbooks algebra 1 or CLE if it is ready for us. I will stick with CLE for as long as their Sunrise editions are available.

Faithe

We're on Saxon Algebra 2 and began way back in the beginning. I've certainly looked at other math programs, but Saxon goes from K- high school; and it's recommended by Susan, in The Well Trained Mind:001_smile:. (That was a big motivator and plus for me, way back in our early years.)

(We did not use any curriculum for Kinder, and began with Saxon 1)

Edited by Tammyla

We tried Saxon K, hated it and then found MUS.

We've used MUS from primer through Zeta (K-6th). I intend to use MUS with all of my kids. I have yet to make a determination for higher level math yet. We will be using Lial's pre-algebra next year for 7th. I wanted to give my oldest a different format for math as there is a good possibility they may be attending a charter high school.

• 2 weeks later...