Menu

Cake Doctor Cupcakes - make 'em ahead?

If you mean make them on the 24th, baking them is fine. As long as they are in an airtight container, they should be fine for a couple of days at room temperature. If you are also frosting them, the type of frosting will determine whether or not to refrigerate.

If you are baking them this Thursday, freeze them unfrosted until next Thursday or Friday morning. You can freeze frosted cupcakes, but they won't taste as good as cupcakes with fresh frosting.

My sister bakes cakes/cupcakes as a side business and she always freezes them. They actually have a better texture. She does fiddle with the recipe, however, so I'm not sure if that's going to be true for every cupcake. People who order her cakes don't actually know that she freezes them but, in the beginning when she hadn't discovered this little "secret," she would always get more replies of how moist the cakes were when she had frozen them beforehand.

Her recipes is something like this: cake mix, box of pudding, 1/2 can of condensed milk, plus other ingredients that the cake mix calls for. Vanilla tastes the best imo and I'm usually a chocolate lover. The vanilla, for some reason, is particularly moist.

Hmmm. You make me ponder....if I freeze them, I could make them tomorrow (but not frost them) and that would be even better than making them on the 24th. If I freeze them, what do I do to defrost them properly? Do I leave them open to room temperature and air or keep them in an airtight container at room temp?

Definitely don't frost them before freezing.

Okay, I just called my sister. You can definitely freeze them for a week or two. She cooks them, cools completely, put them in the freezer uncovered just to get the tops hard enough so the foil she covers them with later won't stick. When the tops are hard, cover them. Take them out when you are ready to frost and uncover them. The foil might stick if you let them thaw while covered. She said it doesn't take them long to thaw at all. She also said she never sends anything out that hasn't been frozen first. Weird, right?

HTH and makes sense!