Menu

Gardening Help for a newbie

We have 5 acres and a beautiful garden plot that I would like to utilize this spring/summer/fall. We tried the first year we moved in to this house, but we didn't put a lot of effort into it and did not enjoy much from it because of that.

This year, we'd like to start early and learn a bit more so we can have a little more success.

When should we begin to make starts? Where should we look to order seeds?

Any information would be great!

I like Baker Creek Seeds which you can find from http://rareseeds.com/ They have a large selection of heirloom seeds http://www.seedsavers.org/ is also great.

I don't buy seeds from companies that have not signed the safe seed pledge.

One of the hardest parts is just preparing the soil for gardening and mapping out your garden. Keep track of how the sun falls in your yard so you can be sure to plan accordingly.

Is there already a garden plot? I would check on the soil condition, what type of soil you have and maybe test the soil so you can take care of any soil additions you might need before you are ready to plant.

It depends upon your climate... however, we started our tomotoes from seeds last week.

You need to test your soil... ours is very acidic. We'll be adding calcium and lime (I believe).

Start with easy crops (that are hard to screw up). Things that are easy are: Tomatoes (it's easy to overdo these... if you want to grow some to freeze/can your own sauce grow Romas. Unless you just LOVE tomatoes, a family of 7 will get enough from 2-3 plants during a good summer.

Other easy crops (this is for MY area in No.VA): Pole Beans (yes, they need something to climb on). Squash (yellow and zuccini), blueberries, raspberries, Swiss Chard seems to do well, but spinach, and lettuces not so much. Garlic & Onions grow well here, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower...not so much. Potatoes grow "okay." Watermelon grows alright... corn too. I have to do strawberries in raised beds... they will NOT grow in VA clay.

If you are in a milder climate with a longer spring... lettuces, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower, carrots and radishes may grow better for you.

A greenhouse gives you even more options.

Have fun!

Last year was really wet in the spring and our tomatoes took a beating. I planted TONS but we didn't get as many tomatoes as I hoped.

I really need to get a Farmer's Almanac or something so I can plan. My basil HATED the weather last year and I usually have tons of basil. :(

We are huge tomato eaters, I serve them as a side dish when I have plants.

I like Baker Creek Seeds which you can find from http://rareseeds.com/ They have a large selection of heirloom seeds http://www.seedsavers.org/ is also great.

I don't buy seeds from companies that have not signed the safe seed pledge.

One of the hardest parts is just preparing the soil for gardening and mapping out your garden. Keep track of how the sun falls in your yard so you can be sure to plan accordingly.

Is there already a garden plot? I would check on the soil condition, what type of soil you have and maybe test the soil so you can take care of any soil additions you might need before you are ready to plant.

Thanks for the input! There is a plot already there and according to the previous owners, the soil is great. We will look into testing it though to see if anything needs to be added, etc.

Wow! I thought we were early thinking about starting the seeds. I guess we better get a move on. Tomatoes sound really good right now. :D

You need to check your gardening zone before starting seeds. That poster is in VA so they are further south.

I am only getting ready to start some spring seeds, it isn't time to start tomatoes in my area.

You start tomato seeds indoors six-eight weeks before your last frost date. Mine is in May so I have awhile. :(

Edited by Sis

Everyone has their own favorite varieties. You might try checking with local gardening groups to you to see which varieties grow best in your area. That should make your life a lot easier when choosing. :)

We have hot dry summers so the varieties I like might not work quite as well for you.

Edited by Sis

I live near you. Before you buy ANYTHING read this book! Promise you will learn a ton and it will save you lots of frustration. We have a very particular and unique climate over here, so what works in many other areas may not here.

http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Vegetables-West-Cascades-Gardening/dp/1570615349/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297973338&sr=8-2

Oh my gosh, I just started checking out the seeds and am already overwhelmed. I never realized there were so many choices for something as simple as tomatoes. This is going to be fun! (seriously!)

When you are checking seeds... also check for the zones they do best in. Some varieties do better in the NW, others will do better in the SE. Heritage seeds have been bred over the years to withstand climates and regional differences/pests (same with trees).

Since you are in the NW... you will do better starting with the cooler-temp foods (lettuces, cauliflower), tomatoes...you probably won't plant until April (so you aren't behind).

There are lots of "tricks to the trade" you can get into over time (things like using in-ground heating with solar hot water to raise the temperature of your beds... greenhouse-type starters (not to walk through, but they cover the ground, and create a warmer environment)... but again a lot of that depends upon your local environment :D

I live near you. Before you buy ANYTHING read this book! Promise you will learn a ton and it will save you lots of frustration. We have a very particular and unique climate over here, so what works in many other areas may not here.

http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Vegetables-West-Cascades-Gardening/dp/1570615349/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297973338&sr=8-2

Thanks! The library has it. Yay!