Menu

Classical Writing - quick question about these re-writes.

5LittleMonkeys

Okay, we are on week 5 of Homer A and I'm just not feeling confident about these rewrites. Tue. we went over the Theon's for one scene, which I believe is what the book told us to do, that went fine but now they are working on their first draft for the rewrite. Dd11 wants to rewrite the whole story but change the setting and characters to her own creations but keep the main idea of the model the same...that group x was trying to get to place z but had to go through y land and then there was confusion once they got to the destination and the main character thought they were being attacked from the front, yadda, yadda, yadda. Dd13 thinks she should just re-write it in her own words without changing any of the points on the Theon's list. Who is right? Or are they both okay in doing it the way they want. Basically, dd11 wants creative freedom and dd13 wants to do the bare minimum.

Also, regarding the Theon's, we did the once scene in the workbook, but is it necessary to do the Theon's for every single scene in writing or could we just do that verbally before she starts her re-write?

Thanks!

We are also new to Homer so I am by no means an expert! But, for Week 5, "To the Sea" they are supposed to rewrite the narrative in their own words using the details from Theon's components. So no creative license. That doesnt come until week 8- "Tale of Peter Rabbit" when they start learning about fiction vs non-fiction. My ds was excited to be more creative and he changed Peter Rabbit to a wolf who was after sheep...

As for Theon's- yes it is tedious and I made him do it because he needed to remember the details for later. We are currently in week 11 and instead of writing out all the scenes, he is just doing an outline and trying to pick out what is essential to the story- he likes that much better!

one thing to keep in mind: if the model is a historical narrative then we don't get to make too many changes. If I remember correctly the basic facts need to stay the same (who, what, where, when, how and why -- or person, action, place, time, manner, cause) but you can change non-essentials. Thus if you want to be more creative you can add descriptions of the weather, jokes or comments from the soldiers that fit the scenario, more detail on clothing, thoughts, feelings, etc.

hth