Menu

Computer Curr??

Our state requires a computer application credit. I'm not sure what there is out there. My daughter does use internet and an old wordperfect program but that is about the extent. Can yall help? This is the description from our requirements website in MS for computer app.

Computer Applications: ½ Carnegie Unit - Course should emphasize the computer as a productivity tool. Instruction should include the use of application packages, such as word processing and spreadsheets. The course should also include basic computer terminology and hardware operation.

I have not made a course yet, either, but have saved some resources to refer to:

This is computer programming for homeschool students (free):

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm

This is Jan's Illustrated COmputer Literacy 101 (free):

http://www.jegsworks.com/Lessons/index.html

(I think RoughCollie posted these above.)

GVA (I believe) said she used these two books:

"Suceeding With Technology (ISBN-13: 978-0538745789)

Microsoft 2010 Illustrated (ISBN-13: 978-0538749114),

Both books have exercises and quizzes at the end of each chapter, and it is easy enough to assign those and grade from that. I don't know if a homeschool parent could get access to the instructor material from Cengage or not." I think she was working on a computer literacy course.

I have saved comments from posts onto rough notes pages in my files, and sometimes I don't copy the whole post so I can't tell exactly to whom to give credit. I liked these resources enough to save them, to study when its time for me to need to compose/design/compile a course.

I hope these might help,

LBS

We are using this book: Computer Programming for Teens. It is a serious book on programming for high school students. It covers the overarching principles of programming, so that the basic knowledge could then be applied to learning any language. It does use Java, HTML, and C++ for examples and has some basic information on each of those in the appendix. I am adding some basic Java and C++ programming to it to create a 1/2 credit, but you could instead combine it with some Microsoft Office work fro a 1/2 credit.

Don't stress over this one. Really. The equivalent course in our local school system teaches the student to use basic applications of Word, Powerpoint and Excel, and not much else. The instructor, when my ds's friends took it, said "cookies" were what one baked in the oven!

I didn't give it scheduled course time - just threw it in as necessary to complete projects for other courses (ie. taught them Word to type their first paper, etc. They do have to actually type something in Word to learn how to use it, don' they?) Since we didn't date courses on the transcript, it didn't matter how much we spread it out. By the end of Freshman year, they knew way more than the local course teaches. Neither the state nor the colleges had a problem with it.

I have bookmarked this for future consideration:

http://www.motherboardbooks.com/

I have no experience with it, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

Terri

We have this. It's a good mix of the basics you are talking about (some of which my ds skips) and early programming skills. It's homeschool-friendly.

If you don't want to use a curriculum, then I'd just make sure your child did things on the computer for various classes. Maybe he could write a history report in Power Point and create a spreadsheet for his exercise routine, or something. These are useful things to know how to do.

Julie

I would focus on the skills and not on finding a set curriculum. It has been my experience that you only truly learn a computer skill when you need it to actually complete a project. So, my kids learn:

Word when they have to type their assignments;

Excel, when they have to manipulate their lab data;

Power Point, when they have to give presentations,

Html/Css when they design websites

The only exception is programming; here a structured course can be useful since it is more abstract.