Menu

Workboxes and Classical Education??

tuzor

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I was reading on the forum about it but my question was never answered. I would like to know how does this work with Classical Education? From what I understand about the classical method relies on heavy interaction with the child. I think I may be able to implement the system with my three year old. But I don't see how it would work for my first grader. Are the workboxes only for enrichment activities or for the entire curriculum. I can't see Story of the World going well in a workbox. Perhaps the activity from the day would go in the box. If anyone can enlighten me that would be great. So here is my line up for next year CLE LA 100, LTR, Reading 100, REAL Science Odyssey 1 Life, STOW Ancients, Saxon Math 1, Meet the Masters, Grammar. If I wanted to use the workbox system would it even work with my curriculum? I parts of the system would work for my older son because he always ask how many more things do we have to do today. That way he could have visual. On the other hand I can totally see where it would work for my preschooler. Help! Thanks

My kids have workboxes and most everything goes into them. I don't follow the exact workbox method outlined in the book but my kids work through their boxes each day. Many of the boxes they need help with. There are very few they do totally independently. I like them because the kids can see when they are done for the day.

Here's what is in my 10 year old's boxes most days. I make her work in order.

1. GWG (I read lesson with her and help with the worksheet)

2. Saxon (I do warm up and lesson with her and stay close by if she has questions)

3. Mindbenders (mostly done independently)

4. Geography (mostly mapping and done independently)

5. Latin (we do this together)

6. Silent Reading Book (done on her own)

7. WWE (done together)

8. Handwriting (done independently)

9. Spelling (done together)

10. Science (done together)

11. History (I read to her)

12. Read Aloud (I read to her)

I use workboxes more to organize and keep materials together. I have a a 6 drawer cart for each of my dds. And each drawer is for a certain subject:

language arts

phonics/spelling/reading

science

history

math

other

In the boxes, is the texts/workbook/curriculum, and everything else we need to do the lessons each week. I also do the file folder system so that I can easily keep track of read alouds, worksheets, lapbooks, 4-H booklets, file-folder games and anything else we might want to add in.

I don't really use it the way it is supposed to be used. But it works very well for us.:001_smile:

My kids work with me on most subjects, but with the workboxes (we do them in 3 sets, with a break after) I can stagger them a bit. The workboxes keep everything in the same spot, and let the kids know how much they have to do. I'm trying to figure out how to get group stuff into the workboxes.

My kids work with me on most subjects, but with the workboxes (we do them in 3 sets, with a break after) I can stagger them a bit. The workboxes keep everything in the same spot, and let the kids know how much they have to do. I'm trying to figure out how to get group stuff into the workboxes.

:iagree:

For us, the workboxes are a way of being prepared for the day and helping to stagger the skill subjects that my children cannot do together. I can help one with spelling while the other one reads quietly to himself and then we switch. I do not put "family subjects" in the workboxes (which would be things like history, art, music, etc) unless we have a coloring sheet or notebook page for that day. We only do 6 boxes and I set them up so that one child is doing something on his own while I help the other one to either get started or do a subject that I have to assist with.

From what I know (and that's very little, mind you), the classical method uses traditional texts for skill level subjects that can easily be put into workboxes. It's the content subjects(history, literature, science) that don't exactly fit in a box :)