Menu

No Knead Bread- Check out this Mark Bittman video :)

That was interesting. I did my first Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day bread today. I didn't get such a great crumb but it was still good.

I know. That's the hard part. It really varies for me. I think it's about heat. Crank up the oven. 500 is intense, and it's not easy to get that in a home oven. Pop it in, and don't peek...hard to do, but I think that's key.

I make one very similar from an article that was given to me last year. It was titled "No Need to Knead". It only takes 2 hrs. for the first rising but I think the key is a pan of water in the oven to keep it from drying out too badly. Very easy recipe, same ingredients. :)

I've done it and it's awesome. I would suggest an oven thermometer, as oven temps can vary greatly. You really do need a hot one for this. :)

So there's no kind of non-stick needed in the cast iron pot? I have one Le Crueset knock-off that I will use. I just got the Artisan bread book from the library and was a little daunted by needed a pizza peel and baking stone and bucket for the dough, etc. This method looks easier.

Also, do you bake it to the dark crust level? I don't like super dark crust but they are saying that's the caramelization. Did you see the "updated" version using a little red wine vinegar?

It would have a more sourdough taste I guess.

So there's no kind of non-stick needed in the cast iron pot? I have one Le Crueset knock-off that I will use. I just got the Artisan bread book from the library and was a little daunted by needed a pizza peel and baking stone and bucket for the dough, etc. This method looks easier.

Also, do you bake it to the dark crust level? I don't like super dark crust but they are saying that's the caramelization. Did you see the "updated" version using a little red wine vinegar?

It would have a more sourdough taste I guess.

I think all the flour that the dough is coated with prevents the need for oiling the pot. (what kind of flour was that? seems a coarse whole wheat flour??)

I don't like such a dark crust. Wonder if it can be baked for a shorter time--will it come out ok? And I don't like a hard crust, so I guess I'd need to bag the loaf as it cools. That should soften the crust, right?

I baked a half recipe of the master recipe yesterday in a glass loaf pan greased with shortening and it turned out great! I had tried doing the ball method first with a 1/4 recipe like they recommend in the book, and I ended up setting off the smoke detector and with a loaf of bread the size of a large softball. Needless to say, not much bread and not very easy to make into sandwiches.

I definitely recommend just trying to make it in the loaf pan. Just FYI---the dough had been refrigerated overnight so it was less sticky than if you were to use the dough right away.

Oh and I also used a 1/4 recipe of the dough to make pizza crust and that was outstanding too. I'm going to be keeping the dough in my fridge from now on.