Menu

Admissions question--

distancia

Anyone have knowledge of how Admissions Committee procedure works?

In early December my DD applied to a university. On the website it says a reply is to be expected within 4-6 weeks, after a group review by the Admissions Committee.

Well, 8 weeks rolls by and nothing, so we sent a "just checking up to see if the application is complete" e-mail.

Got a 'phone call reply back that same day--a call from the Asst Dean of Enrollment who said (quote): "I am the 'bean counter' here and your daughter's file is missing an official high school transcript from her previous (public) school. Would it be possible for you to obtain an official transcript? We need it to finalize her application file before we send it over to the Dean of Enrollment."

Of course I answered yes and I finally got the official transcript sent over to the uni, but now the Asst Dean is gone from the office until March...well, that's another story.....

ANYWAY, does anyone know, based upon the sequence of events, above, if this means DD's application has already cleared the Admission's Committee and then goes on to Dean of Enrollment for approval signature? Or does the Dean of Enrollment have to sign the application and then turn around and hand it to the Admissions Committee for review and a vote yeah or nay?

DD has another uni (not her 1st choice) which has a March 1 deadline for acceptance into their Honors Program so she is in a tizzy about what to do.

Edited by distancia

I'd call College A again and note that dd may have to accept College B's offer to be in their Honor's Program since the deadline is coming up fast - BUT she is still very interested in College A so could they please let her know ASAP - since did first apply back in December and her transcript was sent (date).

That should get someone to find out for you! If Admission's can't find out for you, also call Enrollment. And the office of the President, if only to note how College A may miss out on a good student if Admissions/Enrollment can't get their act together.

Edited by JFSinIL

I'd call College A again and note that dd may have to accept College B's offer to be in their Honor's Program since the deadline is coming up fast - BUT she is still very interested in College A so could they please let her know ASAP - since did first apply back in December and her transcript was sent (date).

Second this but suggest that your daughter make the call to Admissions.

ANYWAY, does anyone know, based upon the sequence of events, above, if this means DD's application has already cleared the Admission's Committee and then goes on to Dean of Enrollment for approval signature? Or does the Dean of Enrollment have to sign the application and then turn around and hand it to the Admissions Committee for review and a vote yeah or nay?

I can't speak for all schools, but at West Point, the file does not go to the committee until it is complete. Period.

I recommend calling too.

That is the way my sons' college did it, as well. We know because we needed to know how an application was progressing and they told us exactly how it worked. There are, of course, exceptions. They pulled my son's file and accepted him over the phone without it going before a committee because he needed to know right away. My other son had to wait for enough completed applications to accumulate before the committee dealt with them.

-Nan