Menu

What did you use for phonics after Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons????

Leanna76

Hi! My DD and I will finish up 100 EZ lessons in another month or so (we're on Lesson 69). What phonics program would you recommend after this??? DD will finish K in about 3 months and will start First grade this fall. I'm looking at Abeka first grade phonics or Hooked on Phonics first grade....

Any thoughts????????????

Thank you!

P.S. She is reading pretty well...but still having to sound out some words here and there...

We used 100 Easy Lessons, both DS and I really like it, but they do kind of leave you hanging when you are done. There is a list of recommended books at the back of the book, but I remember not being to impressed with the first few, so I didn't continue down the list.

We didn't follow up with another phonics reading program.

We just switched to All About Spelling and to books. If you aren't familiar with All About Spelling, it is a phonics based spelling program.

For reading books I picked up the 'I Can Read Picture Book series' and the 'I Can Read Book Series'. Just search those two terms at BN.com. There are some crap books mixed in but most are really good, Frog and Toad, Mouse Soup, Amelia Bedelia, Fire Cat for levels 1 and 2. Level 3 books are really good with historically based books.

Edited by MollyAnn

Hi! My DD and I will finish up 100 EZ lessons in another month or so (we're on Lesson 69). What phonics program would you recommend after this??? DD will finish K in about 3 months and will start First grade this fall. I'm looking at Abeka first grade phonics or Hooked on Phonics first grade....

Any thoughts????????????

Thank you!

P.S. She is reading pretty well...but still having to sound out some words here and there...

We did Abeka's Letters and Sounds book 1 and 2. Abeka does a good job with helping them now learn the special sounds, blends, etc... that will help them later when it comes to spelling!

both my kids went to OPG but started after the sounds section. We only did the book stuff, none of the cards or extras. It was easy enough in the beginning and got more challenging and both my kids read extremely well in the early stages of reading. Since it's similar scripted style it was easy to change to. highly recommend this sequence for phonics.

We went to a Phonics Pathways, ETC combo.

AAS is an AWESOME spelling program for that age and covers continuing phonics at the same time. (I will probably start this next year)

I haven't seen it but Phonics Road sounds great if you are looking for all-in-one.

We never did another phonics program after 100 EZ with any of my kids.

We worked thru some of the books listed at the end of the book, finished the Bob Books, and went on to reading various readers - EVERY DAY.

This was plenty and depending on the child by the end of K or first grade they were reading Magic tree House level books to themselves.

With my second child (not so much interested in reading on her own) - We read thru Charlotte's Web together in first grade. Reading something slightly above her level helped her to really improve in decoding words and to engage her. I'd have her read a few paragraphs getting longer as we progressed and I'd finish out the days reading.

We also used Spelling Workout for spelling starting in K/1st which is a phonics based spelling program.

My intent was to evaluate each child to see if they would need further phonics instructions, but 100EZ and daily reading aloud for the first year was enough to cement good reading skills!

We never did another phonics program after 100 EZ with any of my kids.

We worked thru some of the books listed at the end of the book, finished the Bob Books, and went on to reading various readers - EVERY DAY.

This was plenty and depending on the child by the end of K or first grade they were reading Magic tree House level books to themselves.

With my second child (not so much interested in reading on her own) - We read thru Charlotte's Web together in first grade. Reading something slightly above her level helped her to really improve in decoding words and to engage her. I'd have her read a few paragraphs getting longer as we progressed and I'd finish out the days reading.

We also used Spelling Workout for spelling starting in K/1st which is a phonics based spelling program.

My intent was to evaluate each child to see if they would need further phonics instructions, but 100EZ and daily reading aloud for the first year was enough to cement good reading skills!

:iagree: This was our experience as well. With my oldest we actually didn't even finish all 100 lessons. We got to about lesson #85 and he picked up Hop on Pop (recommended in the back of the book). He slowly worked his way through that book and began to tackle others by Dr. Seuss. I bought a few more recommended books in the back of 100EZ Lessons (The Carrot Seed, Who Took the Farmer's Hat?, A Kiss for Little Bear, etc.) as well as the Sonlight readers for grades 1 and 2 (great selections!). He was reading all the time, often spelling words he didn't know from the backseat while I drove. After a few months of this, we formally began Kindergarten and I read him The Boxcar Children as a read-aloud. He enjoyed the book so much that he trotted off to his room with it one day at Quiet Rest Time. He was already familiar with the storyline, so he finished the book on his own within a couple days. Within weeks he was tackling the Narnia series. I tried a few things with him at that point, Explode the Code and Phonics Pathways, but it seemed like such a waste of time! Any "gaps" that he might have in phonics are now being addressed in spelling so I'm perfectly happy with the results.

For my subsequent children, I have them all finish the entire 100 lessons, and then we read some Dr. Seuss books and others from the Sonlight grade 1 reader list until they are confident (doesn't take long at all!). At that point I give them a list of the Sonlight grade 2 readers (regular, intermediate, and advanced) and award them a sticker for each book completed. Once they complete an entire level I take them for ice cream or some other treat. I have three avid readers (though they each have their own "style"--some devour and others savor) and my fourth is on lesson #67--we're hoping to finish up before baby comes.

All that to say, it doesn't have to be complicated! I didn't plan to do it this way, but it turned out to be so easy and natural. No curriculum needed...just daily practice and lots of books. :001_smile:

Edited by Chaqar

For my subsequent children, I have them all finish the entire 100 lessons, and then we read some Dr. Seuss books and others from the Sonlight grade 1 reader list until they are confident (doesn't take long at all!). At that point I give them a list of the Sonlight grade 2 readers (regular, intermediate, and advanced) and award them a sticker for each book completed. Once they complete an entire level I take them for ice cream or some other treat. I have three avid readers (though they each have their own "style"--some devour and others savor) and my fourth is on lesson #67--we're hoping to finish up before baby comes.

Quick question, is there a reason you are now having your other kids finish the 100 lessons? I quit with my first two when their reading took off (lesson 78 and 72? I think). I just wondered if maybe this wasn't the best idea.

Then Spelling Workout and some reminders from the stuff I'd found in the R. Spaulding book. I'm still working the phonics even now in 3/4th grades. Maybe someday... but the Latin and French sure help each child remember the roots of a word. That's helpful too. It's a game to see who remembers first - one of the advantages of having 3 children in 16months.

I used 100EZ with my two older children in their K year and followed up with Rod & Staff phonics in 1st and 2nd grade. I don't know if it is the same with other people's children, but for my two, learning to read (letters have sounds, putting the sounds together to make words) and phonics (rules for how the different sounds are made) were two different skills. The phonics lessons really helped my oldest gain the ability to correctly sound out unfamiliar words and improved her spelling immensely, and I am seeing the same benefits with my 1st grader as well.

Quick question, is there a reason you are now having your other kids finish the 100 lessons? I quit with my first two when their reading took off (lesson 78 and 72? I think). I just wondered if maybe this wasn't the best idea.

Not really. I guess I had always intended to finish with my oldest as well, but by the time I got back to it, he was so far ahead it seemed pointless. :001_smile:

We are using All About Spelling. I liked that it was somewhat scripted, since I liked the scripted aspect of 100 EZ Lessons. I also knew we'd need some of the *why* behind things, since 100 EZ doesn't teach that (and I don't remember learning any of that when I learned to read--that came with spelling when I was in school). But we do lots of reading practice, so I help dd7 sound out words when needed.

Edited by gardening momma