Menu

Any suggestions for a habitat study?

KerriF

Using the One Small Square book series as a spine? The series covers Woodlands, Artic, Rainforest, Desert, etc. Last year we picked one habitat a month, read through the relevant One Small Square book, found some related picture books, chose a few animals from that habitat to learn more about, and did a couple of projects. The One Small Square books contain some projects, others we just made up - DS made a very cool tissue paper collage of the different layers of the rainforest - he still uses it to play with paper animals he made.

I discovered mid-year that WinterPromise has a program, Animal Worlds, that kind of does this (I don't know what projects they use, but they use those books). If you don't want to do it yourself, you might want to look at their program. But really, the books were very straightforward to use, and you could stretch them out or condense your study as much as you want.

Enjoy - it was one of DS favorite studies!

You can come study the habitat of my boys. The word sty comes to mind...

Cindy

P.S. No body likes a smart alec! Sorry. I really do hope that you get some great ideas from the others on the board. I'm one of those boring teach from a book moms so I can't really help!

The books at Yesterdaysclassics.com would be fabulous, Among the Forest/Meadow/Night/Pond People by Clara Dillingham.

Also, the books by Jean Craighead George: One Day in the Arctic Tundra, etc. would be great readers for your 3rd grader.

Evan-moor's Scienceworks Habitats is a good resource for activities, there are also a few good activity/project books out there like Animal Habitats by Press, http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=967569&netp_id=419128&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details.

Hope this helps

A few other book suggestions are the series A Walk in the.... You can probably find them at your library. There is Rainforest, Tundra, Grasslands, etc. I second the lapbooks suggestions and if I can find my link, somebody posted a link to a free online source for habitat studies back on the old board. I'll see if I can find it...

Oh, and check out Enchanted Learning for some printable worksheets and this site as well:

http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/as-animalhabitats.htm

That site was posted here a few days ago.

It will be for a 3rd grader with a K tagging along. I would also appreciate any book suggestions.

Thanks so much,

Kerri

Kerri,

Winter Promise's Animals and Their Worlds is arranged by habitat, using the One Small Square books. The only exception is a week in Polar when they cover farm animals. :001_huh: Lit based programs do this now and then when they run out of material of one thing so they just plug in the left overs. I have seen it done in SL too.

We just finished the program, and my oldest also did the Hands of a Child lapbooks. It worked really well here.

Heather