Menu

American History in First Grade?

lindsrae

I know, gasp! Not starting with the ancients! So here's the story:

We are in CC this year and will be going back next year; cycle 3 is American History. I would like to follow along with CC, at least for next year, with my daughter who will be in first grade. When she is in second grade, we will start with ancients, and my middle daughter, who will be in K, can tag along...I think it will all work out!

So what have you used for American History in 1st? I've looked at SL core 3, Tapestry of Grace, Beautiful Feet, and Guesthollow so far--just whatever is online. I love the living books, obviously, but I also need lots of help coming up with ideas for activities: DD loves arts/crafts, but I have two younger girls to take care of too. So I would like something pretty well laid out, with meaningful activities that won't drive me crazy with tons of prep or lots of running around for supplies (because I'm sure many of you know what it is like to buckle and unbuckle three little ones every time you have to run errands!)

Any suggestions? What do you love? Pros/cons of any of these programs...or others I don't know about yet? I'm still pretty new at all of this. Thanks!

We're going to be doing CC next year (I think) so I'm interested in what suggestions folks have. :bigear: I'm not planning on doing any official history as ds is just doing kindy, but I thought it might be helpful to look over the SOTW AG for book and craft suggestions.

I know, gasp! Not starting with the ancients! So here's the story:

We are in CC this year and will be going back next year; cycle 3 is American History. I would like to follow along with CC, at least for next year, with my daughter who will be in first grade. When she is in second grade, we will start with ancients, and my middle daughter, who will be in K, can tag along...I think it will all work out!

So what have you used for American History in 1st? I've looked at SL core 3, Tapestry of Grace, Beautiful Feet, and Guesthollow so far--just whatever is online. I love the living books, obviously, but I also need lots of help coming up with ideas for activities: DD loves arts/crafts, but I have two younger girls to take care of too. So I would like something pretty well laid out, with meaningful activities that won't drive me crazy with tons of prep or lots of running around for supplies (because I'm sure many of you know what it is like to buckle and unbuckle three little ones every time you have to run errands!)

Any suggestions? What do you love? Pros/cons of any of these programs...or others I don't know about yet? I'm still pretty new at all of this. Thanks!

Hi! I'm have a DD going into first next year also and we are doing CC. I am looking for curriculums that do American History as well. The two that I have found are Heart of Dakota (www.heartofdakota.com) -Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory and My Father's World (www.MFWbooks.com) has Adventures in My Father's World which is for 2nd grade, but can be used for "advanced" first graders (meaning reading independently). Happy searching!

I didn't consider HOD because we have already read through Pioneers and Patriots this year for our history spine, and I know that is something they use as well. Also, I'm not really looking for a complete curriculum as I already have other plans for the other subjects. But thank you for the suggestions so far; it has helped me narrow my focus in my search!

Happy to hear other ideas!

I didn't have luck honestly in finding a history that fit what you want when I looked. I'm putting together stuff on my own but it's got some work to it because my kids need hands on. I'll link what I've put on my blog so far in case some of it might be useful/you end up doing it yourself. It will at least have activity ideas that you could use as jumping off points perhaps because we do a lot of hands on. As is the case with internet links it's possible some have changed--when I notice/someone tells me that I do try to update them.

These first two I'm listing were, intentionally, more involved for us than some of the other lessons we did. It's also the point where it occurred to me to share the plans on my blog in case someone could use any of it so I included a lot of detail for that reason.

Wampanoag

Plymouth Colony

13 Colonies and French Settlement

We're doing science right now but our next history units will be The French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War.

I did go back and tried to provide the main activities and any resources I remembered using for our US history prior to the Wampanoag and Plymouth Colony point. They are just less detailed both because I hadn't thought to share them/didn't keep my plans and also because they were less involved anyway. I should have activities for each topic because that is the way my kids learn best right now. I've actually got lesson plans for us to cover US history for 1st and 2nd grade so to present though some topics (like WWII) I hit in a very loose way due to age. If you do decide to plan your own and you are stuck on something I'm happy to provide what I've got. I'm just putting them on the blog as/after we do them so I can check links and such before I put them up.

Native Americans

Columbus, Conquistadors, etc (Columbus, Balboa, Ponce de Leon, Pizarro, Cortes)

St. Augustine

Lost Colony of Roanoke

Jamestown

Oh, I almost forgot something--this week-end I noticed on Currclick that a company called Christian Cottage has unit plans that looked, from her sample of an oceans unit, manageable and yet hands on to me. I think some of them cover select topics in US history. I've not looked closely at all. I don't think it's comprehensive in what is covered necessarily and I think there is likely a Christian slant that might be too much for some but I'm speculating without any experience. I think it's worth looking to see if it might work.

Edited by sbgrace

We are using BJU Heritage studies right now. I am using it as our main spine but then have the books from SL3 and Winterpromise scheduled in. The 1st grade is really just an into to US history and Social Studies but it gives dd (6) an idea who certain people are and what happened at the beginning. There are activitues in the teacher manual as well as the ones WP gives.

I am probably going to purchase A Living History of our World: America's Story. It is written with a Charlotte Mason approach, including instructions on when to have the kids narrate. I linked to the author's blog because it gives the most samples, but you can also purchase it from Queen's or Rainbow Resource Ctr. It's Christian, too, btw.

I know that there is a journal/notebook that goes with that book, but I am choosing to forego the notebook and get a few other activity books - Colonial Kids and History Pockets (Life in Plymouth Colony). I was going to purchase some of the Native American resources (More than Moccasins, History Pockets) but I'm just out of money, lol. I'll probably borrow those from the library. I also already have Truthquest's American History for Young Students I, so I'll be combining that, but that will just suggest read alouds, not activities.

We are most likely going to do Five in a Row next year, but I'm still deciding if we're going to add our own American history. If we do, this will be the way we do it. I have it all in my Rainbow cart. :)