Menu

Now I am waxing philosophical

How fast does a life change? An hour ago I was playing a game on my phone without a care in the world. The the thing with dd's neck came up.

In just a moment we (women) go from not even thinking about being pregnant or only thinking maybe then Wham - there is the pink line.

Other things come out of no where. Fire, theft, tornado, car accident. Some one slips, falls down the stairs then there it is - broken leg.

There are not many good surprises or life changing events. The being pregnant can be both good and not so good. What about winning the lotto? One is sitting on one's sofa watching TV, then POW! Winning numbers - instant millionaire. Maybe it is the cynic in me but I can't think of anything else. What other good but sudden life changing events occur?

Well, in my case being proposed to was completely unexpected. :D (I knew he wanted to marry me, but he had led me to believe that the proposal wouldn't happen for a while.)

Technically, marriage is a wham-bam thing as well. But you see that one coming, too...

Grades can be good or bad. In a similar vein, college acceptance letters (again, though, can be good or bad).

I was given the unexpected opportunity to take advantage of my school's study abroad program after all because of an anonymous donor..however, I was unable to take advantage of the opportunity because it came too late. But it was still a good thing.

Christmas Eve as I was diveing out of the path of an oncoming car...I just wanted to live. Someone one here mentioned "guardian angels watching over me" and it got me thinking. I started thinking about the pre-protestant Christianities...and it has been an interesting journey since.

Getting a job? My dh was told six years ago it was be laid off or get asked to move to Florida. I was pretty darned excited to come Florida and it has definitely been life changing and good.

That has happened to me often enough I should have thought about it. One day out of the blue the phone rings and we have 30 days to move at least across the state, could be across the country.

My 4yo today had a migrane...she was crying so bad. It came on so suddenly. She's never had one before. All I could think was "inoperable brain tumor." I gave her some tylenol...she's now in bed, sleeping peacefully. If the headache continues tomorrow... I'm sure I'll be calling the PED, and demanding a CAT scan or MRI...;)

FWIW, to the people looking at me, I appear completely calm, unshaken and sane. Since I'm on pretty strong meds... maybe I can blame them?

Of course, then there are the mornings you wake up, and it's just so peaceful. The children (who are normally awake and causing all sorts of havoc before daylight are NOT awake). Soon, your heart is gripped with panic, because the children <gasp> aren't awake... You rush to their bedsides to check their breathing, while you are relieved... the peace of the morning is shattered by your racing heart, and the adrenilan coursing through your veins. Now, you hope you have enough time to hop into the shower and calm down before everyone is awake and needing to use the one toilet you all share.:tongue_smilie:

There have been 4 times that I've unequivocally encountered the presence of God. Each has been life changing and nothing else really compares.

Lottery would be nice. I think. Or would it?

Have you been into the wine tonight?

:)

No, I should but I'll need to take my good drugs to get to sleep tonight.

Dd told me about an hour ago about this swollen place on her neck. I absolutely flipped out (not in front of dd, or so I thought) and immediately thought of lymphoma and six other life threatening reasons for it.

My 4yo today had a migrane...she was crying so bad. It came on so suddenly. She's never had one before. All I could think was "inoperable brain tumor." I gave her some tylenol...she's now in bed, sleeping peacefully. If the headache continues tomorrow... I'm sure I'll be calling the PED, and demanding a CAT scan or MRI...;)

FWIW, to the people looking at me, I appear completely calm, unshaken and sane. Since I'm on pretty strong meds... maybe I can blame them?

Of course, then there are the mornings you wake up, and it's just so peaceful. The children (who are normally awake and causing all sorts of havoc before daylight are NOT awake). Soon, your heart is gripped with panic, because the children <gasp> aren't awake... You rush to their bedsides to check their breathing, while you are relieved... the peace of the morning is shattered by your racing heart, and the adrenilan coursing through your veins. Now, you hope you have enough time to hop into the shower and calm down before everyone is awake and needing to use the one toilet you all share.:tongue_smilie:

OMGness are we the same person in two bodies? :grouphug: I so miss dd's snoring. Since she had her tonsils and adenoids out she doesn't snore like a freight train. To me the snoring meant she was alive.

I know what you mean about something sudden and life changing usually seeming bad...but often that might be an initial impression and things that look bad turn out good( and vice versa such as Lotto ruining people's lives), even if we wouldn't have chosen them. Or rather.....they make us grow, they stretch us out of our boxes, the comfort zones we have settled into. They remind us that life is unpredictable and insecure....and that can bring us alive to a certain extent. They can remind us not to take any day for granted.

That moment when they placed my little Sadie on my chest. I said, "Hi, little one," and she turned her head and locked eyes with me. And I was a MOTHER. That was an earth-shattering event for the better, far more so than finding out I was pregnant.

Also, figuring out that I was in love with the man who is now my husband. It took me a while to let on to myself.