Menu

P90X Expectations...

I got this off the P90X discussions board. Thought it might help you guys..

WHAT TO EXPECT FOR THE 90 DAYS

Written by Mike French

Clarity, like the fine edge of a newly sharpened blade. You have a plan, a goal, a schedule; you have your nutrition down to a point. Your workouts are intense, you suffer daily. You are making sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night to ensure adequate recovery from your brutal regimen. You are even doing your own version of "Doubles" whether its 20 minutes of HIIT, running, swimming or any other form of cardio three days a week to burn even more fat. You have a clear mental picture of what you want to accomplish during your round of the X, you have your "mind right". So what should you expect? I'll give you some insight so there are no surprises.

DAY 1 - 30 (PHASE 1 - APPROXIMATELY)

1.) This is the adjustment period. Your body is getting into the schedule and tempo of your workouts. It is adjusting to your new nutrition habits. Expect some differences, perhaps not the drastic visual differences you crave but your clothes will become baggier.

2.) Stay the course during this period. I have had allot of people say to me "Something is not right, I'm not getting as lean as I should be."

This is normal; during Phase 1 you are priming the body and stoking your metabolic fire. **YOUR BODY DOES NOT SPOT REDUCE FAT! I REPEAT, YOUR BODY DOES NOT SPOT REDUCE FAT! **

Your body will take body fat off in "sheets". What I mean is that it will reduce your overall body fat evenly. Where we hold the largest amount of body fat largely depends on genetics and gender. Women tend to hold their body fat in their butt, leg, hip region. Men generally hold their body fat in their waistlines. This is what to watch for in this Phase: loosening of your clothes, stay off of the scale and above all, remain patient and continue to work hard.

DAYS 31-60 (PHASE 2 - APPROXIMATELY)

1.) This phase is where your body kicks into high gear. You are getting stronger and leaner. Expect dramatic results during this Phase as long as you remain disciplined and suffer daily.

2.) WHAT TO EXPECT: You will start to see that your outer extremities, (Forearms, calves, upper back, shoulders) generally where people hold the least amount of fat, will start to get leaner.

3.) Where you hold the most fat will improve but not to your impatient satisfaction. Why? Because as your body removes the fat in "sheets" naturally the leaner sections of your body will show definition the quickest.

4.) REMAIN PATIENT AND STAY THE COURSE!

DAYS 61 - 90 (PHASE 3 - APPROXIMATELY)

1.) This is the Phase to let it all hang out. It's an all out assault on body fat. Your metabolism is in high gear, you have noticed a drastic improvement in definition throughout your entire body and your most stubborn pockets of fat are carving away.

2.) This is the time to do some extra workout sessions. Walk after dinner, take an extra bike ride. Skip rope, box, and do something extra to burn more calories and more fat.

3.) At the end of this Phase you want to be standing tall on Day 90, proudly take your after pictures and be able to say, "I worked as hard as I possibly could have during the past 90 days, I BROUGHT IT!"

Hey, check your inbox.

Yes, I actually weigh the same as when I started. Well, honestly, I think I am a pound or two heavier than when I started but I have a waistline now!!! And less flab under my bra strap!!! And my butt is higher! WOOHOO!

But more important than how I look is that I FEEL GREAT!!!

Edited by Capt_Uhura

matched my experience with the 1st 90 days. Embarked on a 2nd 90 day cycle beginning in Feb. I looooove how much healthier I feel.

Yeah! We got a man! You know what I mean...:001_smile:

If you have a Facebook account, post on my wall about your progress or idle thoughts.

I am going to do a hybrid at the end of this last Insanity round.

18% BF here I come!

Awesome post--thanks!!!

I'm on Week 4, Day 2 of ChaLean Extreme. I'm finding it the perfect next step after 30 Day Shred, and as long as I keep upping my weights, it's a great workout, and I'm continuing to lose weight (after 8 weeks of Shred followed by CE, I am officially down 25 pounds).

Have to say, though, that I'm counting the days until P90X! I'll start that the second I'm done with CE, which I think should be the end of April. I can't WAIT. And hopefully by the time I'm done with CE, I'll have kicked another bunch o' pounds and will be in good enough shape for Tony...

Do you think you get the same results from CE that you can from P90X? I always thought P90X was a bit more intense. I have CE, although I haven't followed through past the 30 day mark......sigh.

I am starting back with exercise and am not ready for any of them at the moment, but need to get started.

I am also looking at Turbo Fire to add in for cardio.

Dawn

Do you think you get the same results from CE that you can from P90X? I always thought P90X was a bit more intense.

I'm sure results for any program vary based on your beginning fitness level and your intensity and commitment to the program--but yes, from what I understand, CE is about half the workout P90X is (which is why I'm starting there!).

But as a personal testimonial, I lost 16 pounds in the 30 Day Shred, and have lost the other 9 pounds since then, somewhere between 2-3 pounds a week. I'm measuring myself today, so we'll see what the pink tape says--but I can tell you my clothes are waaay too baggy now. So I'm happy with CE for now and the results I'm seeing.

Thanks for this! I'm sort of depressed right now, as I feel like my P90X plans are a bit "derailed." We just got home from an 8-day trip, and now 2 kids and I are sick. I'm just totally exhausted and depressed.:glare: There's nothing like coming home from a vacation feeling like you need a vacation!

We were on a Disney Cruise, so... Anyway, when we got off the ship on Castaway Cay, I forgot my camera. We were all the way to the post office. My son and I ran back to the ship for it while my DH waited with the other 3 kids. Here's the P90X part:

I kept up with my lanky, long-legged 15 y.o. DS as we ran back, and I wasn't even short of breath. And I could have easily kept going. And I was tired. (I "sleep" with the 3-year-old on trips;))

So, even though I can't "see" results yet, I can feel them! And that's exactly why I plan to jump back in as soon as I feel better.

Thanks! I'm going to run my first Half Marathon on Sunday, then start P90X a week later. :) Wheee!

Woohoo!!! Where is the half again? I know you told me, but I forgot! Good luck with P90X!

Thanks for this! I'm sort of depressed right now, as I feel like my P90X plans are a bit "derailed." We just got home from an 8-day trip, and now 2 kids and I are sick. I'm just totally exhausted and depressed.:glare: There's nothing like coming home from a vacation feeling like you need a vacation!

We were on a Disney Cruise, so... Anyway, when we got off the ship on Castaway Cay, I forgot my camera. We were all the way to the post office. My son and I ran back to the ship for it while my DH waited with the other 3 kids. Here's the P90X part:

I kept up with my lanky, long-legged 15 y.o. DS as we ran back, and I wasn't even short of breath. And I could have easily kept going. And I was tired. (I "sleep" with the 3-year-old on trips;))

So, even though I can't "see" results yet, I can feel them! And that's exactly why I plan to jump back in as soon as I feel better.

Disney Cruise - one of my favorite places in the world!! And Castaway Cay is amazing!!!! You definitely needed to go get the camera!

I'm sorry you're sick! Keep up the good work on P90X!!!

I'm so glad you posted this, LG! I needed to read it. I'm doing Insanity and I lost a bunch of inches right off the bat. Nothing since then. But, I can see a difference in definition all over! And, I feel great. I'm about to enter month 2 and I'm scared!!! This is my recovery week. Do I really need to do the recovery week???

Woohoo!!! Where is the half again? I know you told me, but I forgot! Good luck with P90X!

Disney Cruise - one of my favorite places in the world!! And Castaway Cay is amazing!!!! You definitely needed to go get the camera!

I'm so glad you posted this, LG! I needed to read it. I'm doing Insanity and I lost a bunch of inches right off the bat. Nothing since then. But, I can see a difference in definition all over! And, I feel great. I'm about to enter month 2 and I'm scared!!! This is my recovery week. Do I really need to do the recovery week???

YES

Do you think you get the same results from CE that you can from P90X? I always thought P90X was a bit more intense. I have CE, although I haven't followed through past the 30 day mark......sigh.

I am starting back with exercise and am not ready for any of them at the moment, but need to get started.

I am also looking at Turbo Fire to add in for cardio.

Dawn

There is NO SHAME in stopping and restarting.

I kept up with my lanky, long-legged 15 y.o. DS as we ran back, and I wasn't even short of breath. And I could have easily kept going. ....

Isn't that just the most fantastic feeling?!?!? I haven't started P90X, but I did start running last summer. When I first started, jogging for 3 minutes was SO HARD. And now? I can be downright *zippy* for 3 minutes. Or I can keep up a nice sloooow run for a very long time and not ever feel like I'm going to die. I not only *can*, but I actually *do* run around with my kids. :) It's so cool! :)

I am in my 6th wk of CE and have only missed two workouts (sick kids). I also just added in a 3.5 run the last couple Saturdays. I have added in the Ab Jam a couple times and the 20 min Turbo Jam a couple times. Once the weather is better next month I will add a couple more days of running. I'm eating clean too-trying to just have my meals be nutrient dense. (I have a cheat day each week but don't go crazy with it.) This is not a diet for me but I'm kicking off trying to be healthy as I get older. (But I do have a wedding coming up in April I'd like to look great for!)

I'm not overweight but could lose 8-10 lbs. I haven't lost a single pound on CE :( but have lost inches. The lack of weight loss was upsetting me until dh reminded me when he was (natural) bodybuilding he GAINED 15 lbs but lost tons of inches.

If I had worked out this hard in my 20s or 30s I would be RIPPED by now. I'm 42 now and haven't done a whole lot the last ten years except for some running here and there. I'm definitely seeing that it takes WAY more to stay fit! :glare:

I'm worried about all those pullups/pushups in P90X-that just doesn't seem fun to me. Chalean works me hard but I still enjoy it. I wish she would come out with another strength training one to do after CE. Kudos to you all that are do P90X!!!

This thread really encouraged me, thanks!

Go Abbeyej on your Half! (I have my wimpy 5k coming up in June-that's my limit due to needing to baby my knees.)

I'm not overweight but could lose 8-10 lbs. I haven't lost a single pound on CE :( but have lost inches. The lack of weight loss was upsetting me until dh reminded me when he was (natural) bodybuilding he GAINED 15 lbs but lost tons of inches.

If I had worked out this hard in my 20s or 30s I would be RIPPED by now. I'm 42 now and haven't done a whole lot the last ten years except for some running here and there. I'm definitely seeing that it takes WAY more to stay fit! :glare:

OH yes, I swear it's the age!!! I brought it every day for 90days and while there is a significant difference, not as much as I was expecting!

I weighed the most when I was the leanest b/c it was all muscle. That was back in my 30s. A. long. time. ago.

you know, if you like Tony, he makes the pull ups a lot more fun. And in Chest and Back, you're alternating the pullups with some crazy push ups. By the time you finish one, you welcome the relief of moving to the other! :001_smile:

I'm also worried about the plyometrics on my knees. I was looking at the Shaun T infomercial and his have HIGH impact plyometrics too.

I hear you-back in the day....what I wouldn't give for that body now! Or at least that all this hard work I'm putting in would give me more results like it did then!

I am in my 6th wk of CE and have only missed two workouts (sick kids). I also just added in a 3.5 run the last couple Saturdays. I have added in the Ab Jam a couple times and the 20 min Turbo Jam a couple times. Once the weather is better next month I will add a couple more days of running. I'm eating clean too-trying to just have my meals be nutrient dense. (I have a cheat day each week but don't go crazy with it.) This is not a diet for me but I'm kicking off trying to be healthy as I get older. (But I do have a wedding coming up in April I'd like to look great for!)

This comes up A LOT. Two things I tell people..

1. Make like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and DON'T PANIC.

2. Is there a difference between a pound of top sirloin and a pound of potato chips? The XXX lb version of you today is way better than the XXX lb version of you when you started.

I know! I would have regretted not having it all day! We were on the Dream, by the way! It was amazing!

Thank you!

There is NO SHAME in stopping and restarting.

Thanks for this!

YES! THe differences on the inside manifest themselves before differences on the outside. Use that to keep up the momentum!

Feel better!

Thank you! It definitely helps to know that something is happening, even if it isn't outwardly obvious.

Isn't that just the most fantastic feeling?!?!? I haven't started P90X, but I did start running last summer. When I first started, jogging for 3 minutes was SO HARD. And now? I can be downright *zippy* for 3 minutes. Or I can keep up a nice sloooow run for a very long time and not ever feel like I'm going to die. I not only *can*, but I actually *do* run around with my kids. :) It's so cool! :)

Yes! I think even DS was surprised by it! His legs are so long, he can usually keep up with my jogging pace by walking a little bit faster,:glare:, but we actually ran, and he was looking at me like, "Are we really running?":lol:

That's amazing that you've worked up to a half-marathon! Congratulations! You'll be ready for P90X!!!

I'm also worried about the plyometrics on my knees. I was looking at the Shaun T infomercial and his have HIGH impact plyometrics too.

I've been weirdly surprised at how much I enjoy plyometrics. It's actually one of my favorites. I have a replaced ACL in one of my knees, but I don't have any problems with it. Tony is always reminding you to "land softly." He also shows some modifications, as well.

I hear you-back in the day....what I wouldn't give for that body now! Or at least that all this hard work I'm putting in would give me more results like it did then!

Yes, I'd do just about anything for a working thyroid! I keep telling myself that the body I had before kids is the same body that I have now. I just have to work a lot harder to see it!

Hello all,

I am glad i stumbled on to this thread. I have been researching different exercise programs and REALLY want to do do Insanity. I am on another board and this one person keeps telling me not too. True, I could exercise more regularly, but I am so tired of the same routine and I have ZERO time to go the gym. I am also attracted by the lack of equipment the program requires, but I am still on the fence. Keep up the good work on p90X, I am interested in seeing those results as well.

Yes, I'd do just about anything for a working thyroid! I keep telling myself that the body I had before kids is the same body that I have now. I just have to work a lot harder to see it!

I have a thyroid problem as well. You do have to push really hard. Although I was slowly seeing results with P90X, I got a lot more out of Insanity.

Hello all,

I am glad i stumbled on to this thread. I have been researching different exercise programs and REALLY want to do do Insanity. I am on another board and this one person keeps telling me not too. True, I could exercise more regularly, but I am so tired of the same routine and I have ZERO time to go the gym. I am also attracted by the lack of equipment the program requires, but I am still on the fence. Keep up the good work on p90X, I am interested in seeing those results as well.

Unless you have bad knees, I don't see why you can't or shouldn't do Insanity. Besides you can always try it and get your money back if you hate it.

That was fantastic! My girlfriend keeps telling me how skinny I look, how toned and muscular...yet I have not lost a lb! But I can see the difference through my shirts as far as shoulder definition, pecks are larger (makes up for loss in fat in the boobies), legs are more defined.

The scale is NOT your friend!

This post is so motivating to me today. I am finishing up week 5 and I have to fight to believe that things are really happening. I know that things have changed (I have lost some weight and am down a pant size), I am just getting impatient and want to see all the changes NOW! ha ha! That sparkpeople link was incredible!

This post is so motivating to me today. I am finishing up week 5 and I have to fight to believe that things are really happening. I know that things have changed (I have lost some weight and am down a pant size), I am just getting impatient and want to see all the changes NOW! ha ha! That sparkpeople link was incredible!

You know, losing a pant size in 5 weeks is pretty incredible. :001_smile: and :chillpill:

Unless you have bad knees, I don't see why you can't or shouldn't do Insanity. Besides you can always try it and get your money back if you hate it.

That was my thought exactly! I am even looking at ebay or amazon just to see if i can't get it cheaper and if it stinks, sell it! I definitely don't have bad knees, but I do have this issue where if i am doing High intensity workouts my chest starts to hurt and I have a little bit of trouble breathing. Once i rest though for about 30 seconds I am good. i am excited for it :lol:

That was my thought exactly! I am even looking at ebay or amazon just to see if i can't get it cheaper and if it stinks, sell it! I definitely don't have bad knees, but I do have this issue where if i am doing High intensity workouts my chest starts to hurt and I have a little bit of trouble breathing. Once i rest though for about 30 seconds I am good. i am excited for it :lol:

Well, that could be normal overexertion OR you might want to have your health evaluated first. :001_smile:

Hey LG...question...when I'm done my first cycle of P90X, if I do Insanity after that, will I lose the muscle I've gained?

I would say yes, just a bit in the upper body. Your pipes mostly. You won't go back to where you where before you exercised but you would lose a bit of size. Your legs would get more muscle.

So if I did Insanity after I'd have to add some upper body strength training on my own I guess. I'd hate for all this work to go to waste, especially since my upper body is quite weak to begin with!!!

It won't go to waste. You could always do a hybrid of P90X/Insanity. Insanity won't make your upper body shrivel and be weak :001_smile: . There are plenty of pushups in Insanity. Also, there is the deluxe version of Insanity that has an upper body portion.

CONGRATS on a whole pant size! WOW!!!!

I might be derailed....I tweaked a muscle in my left hip. Today, I can barely walk. I made it through the tough portion of Yoga X this AM and will try to finish the rest tonight...I had promised the kids to cook blueberry pancakes and they were starving. I may have to take a week off and see how my hip heals. That would really (*&(*)*). This is my 1st week of Round 2 P90x classic/doubles.

thank you for posting this! I sent it to dh (he's at the end of phase 2). He noticed definition in his triceps during phase 1 but not much belly fat loss so this was encouraging :) not that he was going to stop, he LOVES it (he is morbidly obese but used to be a wrestler so he loves the high-intensity workouts).

i'm thinking about doing it w/him when he starts round 2 - I'd love to lose some of this prego weight but don't want my milk to deplete so I am thinking if I start when baby is 4mo, I'll be okay (milk will be well established, etc.)

I'd love to lose some of this prego weight but don't want my milk to deplete so I am thinking if I start when baby is 4mo, I'll be okay (milk will be well established, etc.)

I was worried about this when starting my exercise routine too; Ds was 8 months old when I started back in December. Two months later, I've lost a lot of weight and exercise every day like a madwoman, but thankfully it doesn't seem to have made a dent in my supply. Always a valid concern, though, which is why I've amped up my water intake and am careful to drink at least a gallon a day, along with eating tons of protein and veggies.

CONGRATS on a whole pant size! WOW!!!!

I might be derailed....I tweaked a muscle in my left hip. Today, I can barely walk. I made it through the tough portion of Yoga X this AM and will try to finish the rest tonight...I had promised the kids to cook blueberry pancakes and they were starving. I may have to take a week off and see how my hip heals. That would really (*&(*)*). This is my 1st week of Round 2 P90x classic/doubles.

Bummer. Good luck on staying off the program. You need to and try not to panic about losing results.