Menu

My son just cried when I told him he was going to be HSed next year.

I felt terrible. He is in 4th grade this year and is in public school. I HSed him for K & 1st then put in in ps. He loves school and is very sociable. I just think it's best for me to bring him home and school him and his younger siblings. Any suggestions on how I help him transition. I won't do it until next year. I told him because I felt he will need time to adjust.

Give him a bit to adjust to the idea then talk to him. Find out what his objections are and address them as best you can. Sometimes it is the strangest thing that has them upset. It could be afraid of not seeing friends every day or it could be because he won't ride the school bus again. Talk to him.

He'll get over it. Assure him you'll keep in contact with his friends.

:iagree:My dd cried when I told her she wasn't going back to private school for 5th grade (she's in 6th now, at home). I kept up her contacts and we've made many new homeschooling friends -- in fact, she has more of a social life now than she did when she was in school. Some kids handle 'advance notice' better than others -- some don't handle it well at all.

I felt terrible. He is in 4th grade this year and is in public school. I HSed him for K & 1st then put in in ps. He loves school and is very sociable. I just think it's best for me to bring him home and school him and his younger siblings. Any suggestions on how I help him transition. I won't do it until next year. I told him because I felt he will need time to adjust.

My oldest was in PS until the end of 4th. She didnt cry, but she had her concerns. I actually it was around Jan or Feb that I told her. I used the remainder of her 4th grade year to talk through her concerns (yes you will still see your friends, yes you will still have a social life, yes you will still be a normal kid who just does school work at home instead of in the school building with most other kids) I also told her about the opportunities that would open up. More field trips, hands on learning- that sort of thing. She is still in sports with the public school (that is allowed where we live) We are even considering doing some high school electives (and electives ONLY) at the high school when she is high school age. The first few months we used to get used to homeschooling. We did light academics and really focused on our new parent/child and teacher/student relationship. It took a bit of adjustment but now she would never want to go back to the public school. :D