Menu

TOG reading level ?

kchara

For reference, we just started Y1U2 of TOG. We got our new books on Monday around lunchtime, and by yesterday at dinner, DD had read through most of them. :ohmy: I'm not upset that she read ahead like that, but she was complaining that they were all too easy. She's UG, but she's so not ready for D work and thinking yet. Should I go ahead and get her the D books, though? We buy by the unit, so I have a bit to decide still, but I ***might*** be able to talk DH into going ahead and getting the D books sooner. Maybe. If I word it just right. (We have to buy the books, by the way. We've found that tiny, rural towns as a general rule do not have great libraries. :tongue_smilie: So, we just suck it up and buy them, figuring there are more kiddos coming up behind!)

I've never read or seen any of the D books. Those of you who have had D students, what do you think? I hate for her to be bored in her reading. I was like that in school, and it drove me insane.

My ds12 is straddling the two levels (UG & D) I have him do all the UG work, but also throw in some of the more interesting/easier D work. He's really into both art and designing/building so even though it's a D level book, Leonardo DaVinci Inventions You Can Build Yourself was not to be missed. We're doing a couple of the D literature selections as well. Each unit we add a bit more of the D level stuff. It's working well for us.

Thanks, Laura! So you're slowly bringing him up to D level, is that right? I was looking through the D discussions in the plan tonight, I thought maybe setting aside an hour or so a week to get her started in getting used to critical thinking and discussions might be helpful. My worry is, as she's my first, she's my guinea pig, and I don't want to push her too much, too quickly.

To which dd are you referring?

I have found that starting in UG history and D literature can satisfy the hungry reader. The D history books are a Leap in expected comprehension. I'd say some 5th graders could handle the reading, but you would def. need to allow them to grow into the discussions, making connections across subject areas, and presenting ideas well during Socratic discussion.

Are you having her outline or summarize what she's reading? This is the next step, read, think, communicate (writing or discussion).

Are you including mapping? Church History?

Did you read the in-depth books, too?

Thank you for all of the replies!

I'm talking about my 9 1/2 year old. The other DDs are still babies. ;-) We do all of the primary resources, but the alternates we only have SOTW in. She's reading that through at the moment. We just got back from the library. It was as abysmal as expected. The were able to get a couple of good books but not that have to do with what we're studying. They had nothing on the ancient world at all, in fact. I'm about to go look for some ILL books to order for the next couple of weeks, hopefully the state system will have something.

I know this won't help you right now, but have you checked to see if your library allows you to make request or suggestions of books? Mine has a form to fill out and I was pleasantly surprised to find at the beginning of January my library had purchased 10 of the books I requested last year! It might be something to check with your library about.

Thank you for all of the replies!

I'm talking about my 9 1/2 year old. The other DDs are still babies. ;-) We do all of the primary resources, but the alternates we only have SOTW in. She's reading that through at the moment. We just got back from the library. It was as abysmal as expected. The were able to get a couple of good books but not that have to do with what we're studying. They had nothing on the ancient world at all, in fact. I'm about to go look for some ILL books to order for the next couple of weeks, hopefully the state system will have something.

I'd definitely stick with getting her D literature, but not content. 9.5 is young!

Offer her other reading, too.

YEAH for you...how lovely to have a reader!

I have an avid reader. She began what would be D level work in 5th grade last year for Literature (she began 5th as a 9yo after being in the PS system). Looking over TOG Y1 she read much of the literature last year, but used what would be UG history, so I think that combination can work well in transition. Now this year she often reads the primary resources, alternative resources, and anything on our or the library shelves. ;) We are looking into a kindle account for the family. It's nice when your kids give you a Christmas list primarily composed of books. :)