Menu

I don't like BFIAR

delaney

I have all 3 volumes of Beyond FIAR and I really don't like it:confused:. I have tried but since the history doesn't mesh it has been hard to really get into it. What else is there to use to work with literature in terms of comprehension/discussion? I am starting TOG but those books will not be her "style" to use for discussion and extension, kwim?

Can you weave the BY books into the history cycle, where they fit? I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED B4 and FIAR and I wanted so badly to use BY, but it just didn't work for my ds. I moved on to SOTW as our spine and fit in any of the BY titles I could. This has worked pretty well, but we certainly have pulled back on the amount of FIAR we have done.

We also LOVE FIAR but just never could get into Beyond FIAR. I've seen some very talented moms do amazing things with BYFIAR but I just never could make it work for us. So rather than beat our heads against the wall we changed gears in middle school. As for comprehension/discussion, I do that with all books we read for school. We read literature as a part of history and science and typically have a read aloud going. We have many discussions about them and I have no doubt they comprehending. Usually if a part of the story catches their interest, they naturally do more research on their own. I suppose you could call that extension. This somewhat relaxed approach has worked quite well for us. The only books we don't discuss or do more with are ones they read in their free time