Menu

Pros and Cons of HSLDA

Does anyone know anything about NHELD, National Home Education Legal Defense? It appears to be secular or inclusive. They say that if their members get into legal trouble they will write a lawyer's letter for them (often all that you need), provide advice and resources, and consult with your local attorney.

It's not full legal defense, but HSLDA doesn't promise to provide that either. (They may, but they don't have to.)

Does anyone know anything about NHELD, National Home Education Legal Defense? It appears to be secular or inclusive. They say that if their members get into legal trouble they will write a lawyer's letter for them (often all that you need), provide advice and resources, and consult with your local attorney.

It's not full legal defense, but HSLDA doesn't promise to provide that either. (They may, but they don't have to.)

THAT'S the one I was thinking of!

They have one attorney and one "researcher." So I'm a little skeptical about what services they really can provide.

Mary

And I share some of the concerns mentioned above. However, I am unaware of other alternatives that provide a similar level of representation and / or legal counsel in the event that such would be needed.

And since I live in Illinois - where there has been a lot of noise about HSing recently, I'd like to know what the options are.

Ellen - do you have any suggestions?

Homeschool Legal Advantage

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com

Since this is also an overtly Christian organization, it doesn't solve the issue for anyone who is not a conservative Christian. I know less about HLA, so I can't comment about how they spend their money and resources, etc. (I have no problem with strange bedfellows, but HSLDA expends efforts on homophobic causes so I will not personally support them ever). However, I don't know of any secular alternatives to HSLDA - at least, not any serious ones. If anyone does, I'm all ears.

It is Christian, but it's not the same as the "Christians" you'd find at HSLDA.

I am a practicing Roman Catholic, and I am an affiliate of HLA. If you live in Southern Illinois, and need legal assistance pertaining to homeschooling, I am the person who would represent you through HLA.

Long ago, when we first started homeschooling, I volunteered free legal help to HSLDA. They turned me down flat. They didn't even know I was Catholic-- I was told later it was probably because I am female.

I think HSLDA is the only one of them that has a Canadian branch.

(Not entirely relevant to the discussion, but I thought I'd mention it because people were talking about alternatives)

I would not hand over my money to an organization that practices discrimination. I don't feel the need to join any legal hs group, but if I did, there are alternatives to HSLDA.

Not always for everyone. ;)

What bothers me the most is that they often push aside statewide homeschooling organizations to work with legislators. They do not even acknowledge any organizations that are not Christian, which pushes people who don't homeschool for Christian reasons out of the legislative process. I have friends in other states and their non-sectarian statewide organizations were pushed aside and not included in talks with state officials.

I need to ask about the purpose of HSLDA -- aside from keeping itself alive of course. What is its primary purpose? A lobbyist for US Christian homeschoolers? A insurance provider for legal services related to homeschooling? Something one step short of a union for homeschoolers of a certain variety? I read their website but something is not adding up. More to the point ... aside from the work of its Federal Relations Department (the lobbying arm of HSLDA), I don't understand what HSLDA brings to the table for a Christian family who is prepared to, or would even prefer to, hire lawyers of their own if they faced a legal challenge.

I've been a member for 7 or 8 years and I will continue to be one as long as I homeschool. My reasoning is that they have a very powerful lobby and voice - one that has helped out every homeschool family whether they care to admit it or not - whether they are Christian or not - so even though I am not religious in the least, I support their efforts.

I need to ask about the purpose of HSLDA -- aside from keeping itself alive of course. What is its primary purpose? A lobbyist for US Christian homeschoolers? A insurance provider for legal services related to homeschooling? Something one step short of a union for homeschoolers of a certain variety? I read their website but something is not adding up. More to the point ... aside from the work of its Federal Relations Department (the lobbying arm of HSLDA), I don't understand what HSLDA brings to the table for a Christian family who is prepared to, or would even prefer to, hire lawyers of their own if they faced a legal challenge.

Perhaps you should research a little more - members receive the full report of their efforts every month in a magazine - they tackle many issues where homeschoolers are being discriminated against.

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp