Menu

Gentle fantasy for dd7 - 3rd/4th grade reading level

lisabees

Dd7 wants fantasy books for her upcoming birthday. She wants the books to take her "a land filled with adventure and fantasy". :D She absolutely loves the Narnia and Moonintroll books (read-alouds).

I am looking for independent reads. She is probably a 3rd-4th grade reader and is currently in the middle of Barry/Pearson's Never Land series for younger kids. These books have been great for her - in length, vocabulary and illustrations. She has already read My Father's Dragon and Catwings.

Any ideas for gentle fantasy? She is above Moongobble and Dragonslayer's Academy, but not emotionally ready for Percy Jackson etc. I am so confused trying to find appropriate, yet special books for her.

I was considering The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, Wizard of Oz, maybe Edward Eager. I feel that Nesbit is too much right now.

Any thoughts? Am I on the right track? :confused:

Gail Carson Levine especially Ella Enchanted!

:iagree: That's the perfect thing, I think.

Edward Eager is another good thought - I think Half Magic is the right place to start there. And what about Narnia?

Also, I think Spiderwick is pretty gentle. I think they try to make it look slightly creepy, but it's not really. Oh, and maybe The Search for Wondla. Oh, I loved that one.

I can think of other thoughts, but really, go with the Gail Carson Levine.

The Dealing w/Dragons series by Patricia Wrede?

We love this series! It may not be "gentle" enough for a 7yo on her own. I would definitely pre-read these yourself (you won't be sorry) and see if they are too much for your dd.

:iagree: These would be perfect!! Ella Enchanted and The Two Princesses of Bamarre, my dd's love these!

My friend's dd loved the Fairy Realm series that was mentioned by a pp. The first in the series is The Charm Bracelet

What about the Fablehaven trilogy? We haven't started it yet, as dd7 took it upon herself to start reading other chapter books.... :001_huh: I'm so pleased..lol

Fablehaven is reviewed to be the 'Harry Potter' for the younger kids. Website is: http://kids.simonandschuster.com

Here is what the back cover says:

"For centuries mystical creatures were gathered into a hiding refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary is on of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely! Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite....

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken, powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother must face the greatest challenge of their lives to save their family, Fablehaven and perhaps even the world."

It came highly recommended. So we are starting it soon!

I am so very grateful for all of your ideas. Thank you!!

The Fairy Realm by Rodda is exactly what she needs! It's gentle and well-written (not nearly as insipid as the other fairy books out there). I think it'd be perfect for your daughter.

Ooooh - we actually have one from a used book sale. I read it last night! While I would prefer it to have a bit more difficulty, I am sure she will love them.

My 8 year old daughter is in the middle of the the Half Magic series by Edward Eager.

This was definitely on my list. Thanks!

The Dealing w/Dragons series by Patricia Wrede?

I just grabbed this from ds11's room; I need to wait a little longer. She's too intimidated for now. ;) I know this period may only last a short time, though! She loved the book covers. :D

I think this may too difficult, but I'm going to order this anyway. I want to read it myself!

If you can find a copy

The Unicorn Hunt by Elaine Cunningham was the first young adult fantasy book that I read at about 9 years old. It was amazing to me, and though I normally cant STAND to read anything more than 1x. I've read it 2x in my youth and I' just checked it out again, as a 2nd year college student to read again. I'd like to share the story with my 9yo sister, I'm going to read it first, then go back and read it to her.

Its a great book! I wish I could find a copy for sale some where *sigh.*

I'll check it out at the library. Thank you.

Has she tried Enid Blyton's books? I was reading them at her age. I don't know if they are suitable for the 21st century child though!

I second this recommendation! I *loved* Enid Blyton's books growing up, and still have my very well-worn copies. My kids have all enjoyed them also, so I think they're totally suitable for 21st century children.

Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree books and Wishing Chair series both fit the OP's criteria. :)

Would the Borrowers series (Mary Norton) be enough "adventure"? Or the Mary Poppins series (P.L. Travers)?

I wonder about Mary Poppins. Would you believe that I've never read it? I also wonder about Alice in Wonderland. I read it when I was young and it totally spooked me. I always wonder if it would still spook me!

Awww, I was coming in to suggest My Father's Dragon! Has she read the sequels? We just ordered those.

Yup, they're perfect. She has read them and enjoyed them. Thank you.

:iagree: That's the perfect thing, I think.

Edward Eager is another good thought - I think Half Magic is the right place to start there. And what about Narnia?

Also, I think Spiderwick is pretty gentle. I think they try to make it look slightly creepy, but it's not really. Oh, and maybe The Search for Wondla. Oh, I loved that one.

I can think of other thoughts, but really, go with the Gail Carson Levine.

She would probably like Spiderwick, although I think "bleh" for a few reasons. I have read your review of The Search for Wondla. I am intrigued...

We love this series! It may not be "gentle" enough for a 7yo on her own. I would definitely pre-read these yourself (you won't be sorry) and see if they are too much for your dd.

:iagree: These would be perfect!! Ella Enchanted and The Two Princesses of Bamarre, my dd's love these!

My friend's dd loved the Fairy Realm series that was mentioned by a pp. The first in the series is The Charm Bracelet

Glad your friend's dd is enjoying Fairy Realm. I enjoyed the story last night.

Yup. I think this may be a good choice. :D She loves the idea of regular kids getting swept up into a magical land.

Has she tried Enid Blyton's books? I was reading them at her age. I don't know if they are suitable for the 21st century child though!

:)

Rosie

Rosie, I am about to place an order through Book Depository. I want to see her books for real, after reading countless reviews on this board!

I loved them as a child.

I think Oz might be a great fit, also. I know some don't like the first one. Should we skip it?

The Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funk (check the level of this, I'm pretty sure ds read it in second grade)

The Tale of Desperaux (if she hasn't read it yet)

Ds loved the Secrets of Droon series in second grade too. They may be too easy for her already though.

We listened to Dragon Rider over the summer; loved it, of course. I wonder if that might make it easier to read such a "big" book. Same goes with Desperaux. I recently read that aloud.

Mio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren

A beautiful book but not exactly gentle.

She has read many Lindgren books, but not this one. Thank you for the idea.

What about the Fablehaven trilogy? We haven't started it yet, as dd7 took it upon herself to start reading other chapter books.... :001_huh: I'm so pleased..lol

Fablehaven is reviewed to be the 'Harry Potter' for the younger kids. Website is: http://kids.simonandschuster.com

Here is what the back cover says:

"For centuries mystical creatures were gathered into a hiding refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary is on of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely! Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite....

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken, powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother must face the greatest challenge of their lives to save their family, Fablehaven and perhaps even the world."

It came highly recommended. So we are starting it soon!

DS11 also has this one on his book shelf. I think the problem is how intimidated she is by such a lengthy book (which, of course, is the very thing that attracted ds to a book at that age)!

I don't think it will take long to improve her confidence.

I forgot about these! My dd read through these like crazy, even though they were below her reading level. They were a big hit.

She would like Secrets of Droon, I'm sure. Maybe I'll get a few at the library.

The Neverending Story (the movie is based on the first half of the book)

perhaps A Wrinkle in Time

She's not ready yet, but thank you!