Menu

Aggghhh

Tell me why the words "you need to read three chapters of this book a day" mean "I get to read however much I feel like."

So I ask every day, "Did you do your reading?"

Dd "Yes."

Me "Did you do all your reading

Dd "Yes."

Me "It is time to start your comprehension questions"

Dd "I'm only on chapter 20."

As it is right now we are only doing reading, math, writing and poetry. Spelling, science, history, music and art have been kicked to the curb until we get writing caught back up. CW is pretty intense so our afternoons are spent doing nothing but CW.

Now I have to go back and spend more time catching up with reading.

Someone tell me when, just when do we get to spelling and the rest? I'm not doing school through the summer. I've got other things that need doing.

Maybe dd will repeat 6th grade.

Tell me why the words "you need to read three chapters of this book a day" mean "I get to read however much I feel like."

So I ask every day, "Did you do your reading?"

Dd "Yes."

Me "Did you do all your reading

Dd "Yes."

Me "It is time to start your comprehension questions"

Dd "I'm only on chapter 20."

As it is right now we are only doing reading, math, writing and poetry. Spelling, science, history, music and art have been kicked to the curb until we get writing caught back up. CW is pretty intense so our afternoons are spent doing nothing but CW.

Now I have to go back and spend more time catching up with reading.

Someone tell me when, just when do we get to spelling and the rest? I'm not doing school through the summer. I've got other things that need doing.

Maybe dd will repeat 6th grade.

I am doing 6th grade with dd11 -- you can PM me. (Truly, I can share with you -- I have taught 6th grade in the classroom b4 h-schooling)

Oh, and remind me NEVER NEVER NEVER to do Odyssey of the Mind again. EVER! (I must clarify here -- I signed up to be Assistant Coach for the Upper Elementary team -- you know, like First Runner Up in Miss America -- how likely is it that they will ever call on me?:glare: -- Well, the Original COACH bailed right before Christmas -- so, I had to step in. I do not do ANYTHING half-a**ed, half-way, 'only' good enough, just enough, or anything like that. So you can imagine what my life has been like since being crowned COACH)

Parrothead, Do you ever say to your dh, "Am I speaking English, because these English speaking children do not seem to comprehend? Is it coming out Norwegian? Am I stroking? Is there slurred speach here?"

Faith

:lol::lol::lol: I always ask my kids if I am speaking Swahili because clearly I am not speaking English b/c if I was, they would have done what they were told to do. Well, last Friday, we are in current events at co-op with the 3rd and 4th graders. My twins are in that class, and the teacher (I am the assistant) is reading them something about blah, blah, blah where the people speak SWAHILI. My twins jump up! They both start telling me that they thought I had made up the word SWAHILI and they were stunned to learn that there really is a language called SWAHILI.:glare:

I shall now share two totally useless stories in an attempt to inject humor into this scenario:

First story: My sixth grade social studies teacher used to rearrange the desks in our classroom about every three weeks. Why? Because we had no working memory and no muscle control, so we'd spend a good week and a half running into desks before we'd get the new configuration figured out, and she thought this was hilarious. (She was one of the two best teachers I've EVER had, so I look back on this quirk with great affection.)

Second story: I once went to a Renaissance Faire and got my hair braided up in some of those fancy braids they do. They asked if I had children, and I said I had a son and a daughter. One of the other women asked how old my daughter was (3 at the time). They told me that when she turned 11 to bring her in and they'd make sure to pull the braids extra tight. The woman doing my braids said she could tell 11-year-old girls just by the way they held their head, with attitude oozing out of every single pore, and it made her just want to thwap them with the hairbrush.

I'm sure these stories aren't helping AT ALL, but I send :grouphug: your way and dread the day that I will join the ranks of mom to a tween-age girl... hope you can get through the day!

I shall now share two totally useless stories in an attempt to inject humor into this scenario:

First story: My sixth grade social studies teacher used to rearrange the desks in our classroom about every three weeks. Why? Because we had no working memory and no muscle control, so we'd spend a good week and a half running into desks before we'd get the new configuration figured out, and she thought this was hilarious. (She was one of the two best teachers I've EVER had, so I look back on this quirk with great affection.)

Second story: I once went to a Renaissance Faire and got my hair braided up in some of those fancy braids they do. They asked if I had children, and I said I had a son and a daughter. One of the other women asked how old my daughter was (3 at the time). They told me that when she turned 11 to bring her in and they'd make sure to pull the braids extra tight. The woman doing my braids said she could tell 11-year-old girls just by the way they held their head, with attitude oozing out of every single pore, and it made her just want to thwap them with the hairbrush.

I'm sure these stories aren't helping AT ALL, but I send :grouphug: your way and dread the day that I will join the ranks of mom to a tween-age girl... hope you can get through the day!

:lol::lol::lol: I LOVE the moving desks story -- I used to do that with all of my classes no matter WHAT grade. Every Monday, I would make them wash their desktop, clean out their desks, wash their chairs, everything......it got the wiggles out. This was especially helpful after a three day weekend, a vacation break, a snow day, lunch.......anything. I always had the CLEANEST classroom.:D

Oh, but if it were attitude I'd be able to handle it. How does one get rid of ditzy? Ditzy isn't punishable/correctable by the usual methods. How, other than living everyday life, does one model un-ditzy behavior so a child can see how it is done.

It started out bad this morning. At 10a I said it was time to get breakfast and dressed because it was time for school to start. At 10:30 she still isn't dressed or had breakfast.

She used to listen to me and do what I said when I said it. Remember the whole cheerful first time obedience thing?

I thought maybe we were over all that. Looks like I'm going to have to go back to the beginning.

Parrothead, Do you ever say to your dh, "Am I speaking English, because these English speaking children do not seem to comprehend? Is it coming out Norwegian? Am I stroking? Is there slurred speach here?"

Faith

:lol: I tell my dh that I'm pretty sure I must speak in some weird frequency that males under the age of 20 cannot hear.

Parrothead:

My 5th and 6th grader are reading two SL books concurrently because for some reason they thought when I placed the reading assignments for the first book on their assignment sheets I only meant they should read the book if they liked it :glare:.

I learned this week that my 10yo dd cannot - I repeat CAN NOT - understand that in her assignment sheet the line "Read KFH pp 246-247 and pp 260-261" means read those pages from the BIG RED BOOK titled Kingfisher History Encyclopia which was the only other book on her desk. She had no idea what it meant and instead of asking, she thought she could just ignore any assignment she didn't understand and read whatever she wanted.

AND I explained her assignments to her at the beginning of the week. And it isn't the first time she's had an assignment sheet. AND English is her only language.

I think I need to rearrange the furniture to see what she bumps into. :D

:lol: I tell my dh that I'm pretty sure I must speak in some weird frequency that males under the age of 20 cannot hear.

Parrothead:

My 5th and 6th grader are reading two SL books concurrently because for some reason they thought when I placed the reading assignments for the first book on their assignment sheets I only meant they should read the book if they liked it :glare:.

I've asked my dh before..."Did I really say that out loud or did I just think I said it audibly. Nobody's acting like I said a word."

Today is my dd's 12th birthday. It started out with a bang. It went something like this:

dd: "Mom, do I really have to do school today? It's my birthday. I shouldn't have to do school."

me: "Yes, school's still on. Get your teeth brushed and let's get busy."

20 minutes later teeth still aren't brushed. We get that resolved and get the math books out.

dd: "I already know this stuff."

me: "I don't think you do. You missed half of the problems you did yesterday. We need to go over it."

dd rolls eyes, lets out a big sigh, and grudgingly gets her paper out. Math was like pulling teeth, writing has been the same. I have told her to FOCUS at least 20 times today and it's only 2pm. :tongue_smilie:I think I'll go eat some cake.

I don't really remember how many chapters there are in the book, but she has finished it. She is now working on comprehension questions.

I so want to keep her home from dance as a consequence but:

1. I'm paying for it if she is there or isnt

2. They already have scheduled a make up day because of all the classes cancelled due to snow.

I don't really remember how many chapters there are in the book, but she has finished it. She is now working on comprehension questions.

I so want to keep her home from dance as a consequence but:

1. I'm paying for it if she is there or isnt

2. They already have scheduled a make up day because of all the classes cancelled due to snow.

Give yourself a break and send her to dance! :D

I swear it is a hormonal thing - the ditziness. :glare: I hate it!

I learned this week that my 10yo dd cannot - I repeat CAN NOT - understand that in her assignment sheet the line "Read KFH pp 246-247 and pp 260-261" means read those pages from the BIG RED BOOK titled Kingfisher History Encyclopia which was the only other book on her desk. She had no idea what it meant and instead of asking, she thought she could just ignore any assignment she didn't understand and read whatever she wanted.

AND I explained her assignments to her at the beginning of the week. And it isn't the first time she's had an assignment sheet. AND English is her only language.

I think I need to rearrange the furniture to see what she bumps into. :D

:lol:

SOMEONE IS IN THE SHOWER AGAIN! THIS MEANS MORE TOWELS!

I swear with God as my witness, I'm going to enroll in grad school somewhere very, very far away like the London Conservatory or go to jail! One or the other!

"Let's have a another baby." The most preposterous, idiotic, mindless, witless, gullible, nonsensical, and otherwise completely hairbrained idea dh and I have ever had!!!!

Is it okay if I run down the hallway yelling, "I'M NEVER BABYSITTING YOUR KIDS FOR YOU!!!!"

Faith

I swear with God as my witness, I'm going to enroll in grad school somewhere very, very far away like the London Conservatory or go to jail! One or the other!

"Let's have a another baby." The most preposterous, idiotic, mindless, witless, gullible, nonsensical, and otherwise completely hairbrained idea dh and I have ever had!!!!

Is it okay if I run down the hallway yelling, "I'M NEVER BABYSITTING YOUR KIDS FOR YOU!!!!"

Faith

Somewhere in your house is a main. Find it, turn the knob the other way and shut off the water before another one can get into the shower.

I imagine for the same reason, "I'd like to see a rough draft on at least two of these (four) essays by the time you leave today," means he can write six sentences for one essay, then spend an hour in the shower. Maybe their brains are waterlogged. :glare:

Edited by Mejane

I have nothing to contribute but :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:.

And the distinct, deep-seated fear that this is where we will be in 7 short years. :blink:

We're probably going to stop ballet because she can't keep up with the instructor and the simple instructions to make one circle around your star on the floor. So she makes about 20 circles and runs off to do laps around the studio while the rest of the class stares in wonder. :willy_nilly:

Jambo!:seeya:

I have to sit with ds10 while he works and he still manages to ask me 20 times if he can have a break. I've written stop clearly at the end of the lesson, he can decode ccvc words, I've answered "No, you can have a break when we finish this lesson," each of the other 19 times he's asked, and he still NEEDS to give it another shot. I don't even want to think about the next 2 years.

Faith

Yes, it's okay to do that - and then move out of state. Oh, and they must have all sent each other the 'secret shower signal' -- one came out, one is going in. And, did I mention that they used 9 towels (yes, NINE) to dry the dog -- and 6 more for themselves.:glare:

Somewhere in your house is a main. Find it, turn the knob the other way and shut off the water before another one can get into the shower.

Would you come over here and show my husband how to do that CORRECTLY?:cursing:

easier solution...

go to the hot water heater and flip that switch. Cold water=short short shower.

Well, if the first one stays in long enough, there won't be any hot water for hours for the next one so that works for us.;)

I imagine for the same reason, "I'd like to see a rough draft on at least two of these (four) essays by the time you leave today," means he can write six sentences for one essay, then spend an hour in the shower. Maybe their brains are waterlogged.

I have nothing to contribute but :grouphug::grouphug:. That's a good contribution - we will hold onto those and give them back to you when you need them.

And the distinct, deep-seated fear that this is where we will be in 7 short years. COUNT.ON.IT!;)

We're probably going to stop ballet because she can't keep up with the instructor and the simple instructions to make one circle around your star on the floor. So she makes about 20 circles and runs off to do laps around the studio while the rest of the class stares in wonder.