Menu

Help! MFW Exp to 1850 OR HOD Bigger and Notgrass Am the Beautiful???

momof3treasures

I am driving myself crazy trying to decide between these 2 options. I have a ds12 and 2 dds, 10 and 6. I have always combined the older 2 in MFW. I KNOW there is no perfect curriculum, but there are things I really like out of all 3 of these. I guess I just want it all!!! I like how Notgrass is very predictible each day with reading and then wb, mapwork, timeline, etc. I also like that literature is scheduled with questions and the original documents. My son is an independant learner and probably ADHD. I think the set-up would work great for him. I like Bigger and the fun crafty stuff for my girls. And I love the book selections for the extension. I would probably read these aloud to my girls.

BUT, I also like that MFW is 4 days a week, combines Am and World history, schedules everything, studies Presidents, states and capitals, patriotic songs, and recipes. Oh and not to mention the hymns and all the great books!

Help, I cannot decide, there is just too much to like about both of these options. WWYD???

I was in the exact same situation last year with the same curriculum. Even bought HOD which is up on a shelf for now. I ended up using MFW Exploration to 1850's. It was the closest to what I wanted to teach this year as far as presidents, states, etc. The open and go teachers book is a huge help for me and saves me a lot of time.

I am having the exact same dilemma right now. I have Exp to 1850 sitting here from a friend and I can purchase it from her for pretty cheap. Unfortunately, we have already done the animal, plants and James study this year.. I know I can leave them out, but that's a big chunk.

I would combine Notgrass with MOH 3 and SOTW 3. Probably find a younger elem. spine for American for my youngest also.

Such dilemma's!!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I second MFW. We did that last year and it was a really great year. When you do the american studies you memorize where the states are and the capitals, do president notebook pages, state pages with fun facts, and all kinds of fun stuff like that. I am really glad we went back to MFW.