Menu

LOL... Just averted a crisis with ds #3 and the Wii Fit

He was updating his mii's profile and accidently put his height in at 3' 6" instead of 4' 9". So when he weighed in, he was "overweight" and FREAKED OUT! This is the other one of my kids that is very thin though he is quite healthy and his weight is not a concern unlike the middle ds.

Honestly, this kid was screaming at the screen "I DON'T EAT THAAAAAT MUCH!"

So, I went and checked his profile. Once we determined he had a little height problem in there, it went back to being underweight but closer to healthy weight than the bottom end.

For what it's worth, I love to exercise with wii fit. I like the yoga, strength training, and all of the fun games. They are all low-impact which is very good because many exercises are bad for me due to the wretched ankle injury I had in college. But, I truly do not like it when I step onto the wii board and it says "OH!". It makes me feel like an elephant.

Faith

That's one thing that bugs me about the WiiFit - it doesn't seem to know what to do with the stats for younger children or even differences in body type. Our kids have had similar reactions and it just doesn't promote a healthy body image. The goal weight it suggests for me would have me looking unhealthy, in my opinion.

Erica in OR

We have had the same thing happen as our boys use the Wii Fit over time and forget that they have to update their height. So, twice at least my middle son, who is definitely the stockiest of our boys but not overweight at all, has crept into Overweight because his weight had gone up but he hadn't told the profile that his height had also increased.

On the flip side, our oldest is thin and I know when he's too solidly in the middle of normal that it's time to update his height. Yep, drops him down to barely out of range of underweight, LOL!

That's one thing that bugs me about the WiiFit - it doesn't seem to know what to do with the stats for younger children or even differences in body type. Our kids have had similar reactions and it just doesn't promote a healthy body image. The goal weight it suggests for me would have me looking unhealthy, in my opinion.

Erica in OR

:iagree: I have a kiddo that was underweight and had to watch like a hawk because his meds suppress his appetite. Our ped. is totally happy with his weight now, but that darn wii tells him he's in danger of being overweight.

I think they set their stats for slight, small Asian builds.

True blue, I think you are right about those stats being off for those not of Asian decent. My dad is very big boned...built like a linebacker and all muscle. His BMI is more than excellent and his cardiologist is very happy with his weight. But, the Wii comes back and calls him obese, yet the doc says YEAH! So, I don't think there is room in it's computerized stats for people with a lot of bone and muscle mass.

If I got down to the weight it suggests for my height, I'd go back to passing out when getting out of a chair. When I weighed that, I had such low blood pressure that I passed out quite easily. I wasn't healthy when I was that thin. Seriously unhealthy. So, I wouldn't want to go back to that weight. I would like to lose more weight though. I've lost five pounds and my jeans are beginning to sag here and there. BUT! NO ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THAT Wii! I like exercising on it, however, it's an evil, wicked little machine.

Faith