Menu

Statement of Faith for Co-op -

Have you ever or would you ever sign a statement of faith to join a co-op even if you didn't really believe all that is in the statement?

I would and have signed a statement of faith.

I would not sign one I didn't believe in.

A message board where I used to moderate has a statement section about faith and parenting. We don't ask that you agree (we have atheists, for example) but that, in posting, you honor the community's expressed values. You don't have to *agree* to non punitive parenting as an evangelical protestant - but you can't post in defense of the opposite.

In person, I would likely not want to "hang with" a group of families who would embrace a SOF that I could not; we likely wouldn't be a hang out match.

No, I wouldn't do that. I'd feel guilty for lying, and for endorsing something against my beliefs (if that were the case).

Have you ever or would you ever sign a statement of faith to join a co-op even if you didn't really believe all that is in the statement?

I absolutely would not sign a statement of faith that I did not agree with 100%. It would feel like a lie. Well, maybe it would feel like a lie because it would be! I do not care for statements of faith in co-ops or other homeschooling groups. In my experience it is just best to stay away from groups who want to be so exclusive. I don't need the grief or drama.:glare:

No. Absolutely, positively NO! I also will not donate to charities that require any sort of sof or religious promise in order for someone to receive services.

I do not sign it if I do not believe in it. There is a co-op that I would love to join but there is one line in the statement of faith that I can't agree to. They will not budge over it.

Another co-op's director told me I can alter mine then sign it. She is ok with that.

Holly

I will not lie, so I won't sign something that says, "I believe X" if I don't believe it.

However, I would and have quite comfortably signed statements acknowledging that I understand a particular organization operates according to certain religious standards and agreeing to respect them.

One year, we decided to use an umbrella school to keep records for my daughter. They required a signed statement of faith that we just could not in good conscience sign. We ended up working with them to substitute a statement of our own denomination's principles, along with an agreement to respect the standards of the organization. That was acceptable to all parties.

Previously I taught through a group that had one phrase (all of three words!)on their statement of faith that could be interpreted different ways depending on your theology. DH and I talked, and we decided it was OK because we had experience with the group and knew it wasn't something that would really affect how things ran. We were with them several years, and indeed, it was never an issue.

I was on the board of another group that had a statement of faith that I was 100% in agreement with. Then they reorganized and decided to allign themselves directly under a local church and require agreement with that church's statement of faith. Not being in full agreement with the host church's doctrine and the influence of that church over the group, we moved on. We miss our friends there, but it was the right thing for us.

I would not join an organization that required that such a statement be signed, even if I DID believe it.

I have belonged to a religious home schooling group that did not have members sign such documents, but they stated up-front "This is a [denomination] group. All are welcome to join us, but be aware that our activities are and will continue to be oriented toward our faith practices and customs ... etc." This approach worked well for tha IRL group. I have also seen and participated in numerous online forums where this approach is practiced with success.

If the group leaders of a coop want to associate only with their co-religionists -- and I have no problem with this in principle -- they could do this by requiring members to register as members of xyz church or whatever. In my view, requiring a signed document does two bad things: (1) encourages lying and (2) entirely excludes people who are firm in their own (different) faith but who are willing to respect the faith of others.

So no, I would not sign any such document or belong to any group that required it.

No. It's exclusive. So I don't attend a church regularly and I am not involved in children's ministry why does this exclude me from your group? I get defensive about this because the addititude of some co-ops or cover schools here don't exactly walk the walk. I may not attend a church regularly but am I such a horrible person, not good enough to be in your group. I'm a hsing mom just like they are I just don't agree with their church and therefore will not attend but why can't I be part of cover school that offers classes that aren't Christian base. I just don't get it.

No. Absolutely, positively NO! I also will not donate to charities that require any sort of sof or religious promise in order for someone to receive services.

This is OT, but I wanted to say that I am a leader of a charitable ministry at my church. I do *not* agree with applying conditions for recieving aid. I will help anybody and everybody God sends my way.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread now ;)

No, I would only sign a statement of faith if I agreed with it 100 percent. I'm not sure I'd want to do this, though, since I wouldn't go to a church or fellowship that required me to do that even if I believed in it. I just can't see a Biblical precedent for it. Did Jesus or any of his disciples require people to do this?

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I once asked someone in such a group why they ask potential members to sign a statement of faith. You know what she told me? People who don't follow that faith don't dress appropriately, and have bad language. That they wanted to ensure they only get good and decent people in their group.

Well at least she was honest. But that was beyond a turn off to me.

One local group requires their leaders and co-op teachers to sign a statement of faith, but then anyone can just join if they will sign a "statement of behavior" which specifies dress, language, and expected conduct at their events. Frankly their "statement of behavior" is less restrictive than what's listed in the local high school's student handbook!

One local group requires their leaders and co-op teachers to sign a statement of faith, but then anyone can just join if they will sign a "statement of behavior" which specifies dress, language, and expected conduct at their events. Frankly their "statement of behavior" is less restrictive than what's listed in the local high school's student handbook!

Now this is reasonable and not exclusive. I can understand leaders being of like faith but then including everyone else is what it should be.

nope. won't do it if I don't agree with it.

as a catholic, the biggest reason for not signing is the sola scriptura clause.

but the reality is they wouldn't want me there anyways because I just wouldn't fit the chosen demographic.

I don't even care for the behavior handbooks and all that other stuff.

All that stuff are red flags to be that the group has gotten too big for their britches and is mostly redtape buacracy.

And no matter whether it's the sof or bahavior thing - enforcement is so not followed through that it's just annoying.

nope. won't do it if I don't agree with it.

as a catholic, the biggest reason for not signing is the sola scriptura clause.

:iagree: I don't belong to a co op right now but more because I cannot commit to the times they meet and how far away they are(for secular ones anyway). There are a few around here that do have Statements of Faith.

I guess it depends... Let's say, for instance, it was something I didn't "really believe", but that I didn't necessarily disagree with either. I did sign a SOF once that included a segment about God creating the earth in seven days. Well, the fact is, I'm really not totally clear on the origins of the earth. I believe God created the earth. I believe He could very well have done it in seven days. I don't think He necessarily did. I didn't *disbelieve* the statement, but neither did I consider it absolutely and necessarily true as an underpinning to all the other beliefs on the page.

Truly, I didn't even think about that one as even potentially a compromise till someone else pointed it out as problematic for her. I guess for me, I'm pretty okay with holding multiple (perhaps contradictory) versions of "how God created the world" in my head at once without much conflict. ... But the other person was right -- I didn't whole-heartedly endorse that particular statement and no potentially different statement. And I'm sure some people might consider it a "lie" for me to sign the statement, though I believe I did so in good faith.

So I guess it depends on which part I "didn't really believe". Is it something I *don't* believe -- that I disagree with -- or something that I just don't believe I can know?

I wouldn't sign something I outright disagreed with. I wouldn't sign a Wiccan SOF.

I wouldn't sign it if I didn't believe it all. I couldn't do it in good conscience. In fact, I've declined joining co-op groups because of this very issue. eta: Like abbey, the one of which I speak dealt with the Bible being "literally" true and that the world was created in "seven literal days."

As to what Wendy said with regard to dress-I actually didn't join another co-op because their "modesty" standards for uniforms was so high. I didn't want to risk offending anyone.

Truly, I didn't even think about that one as even potentially a compromise till someone else pointed it out as problematic for her. I guess for me, I'm pretty okay with holding multiple (perhaps contradictory) versions of "how God created the world" in my head at once without much conflict. ... But the other person was right -- I didn't whole-heartedly endorse that particular statement and no potentially different statement. And I'm sure some people might consider it a "lie" for me to sign the statement, though I believe I did so in good faith.

Well, what is the purpose of the SOF? Is it really to ensure that all believe the same, or to establish a core set of principles for the group? Are you expected to agree with all of them, or are you simply asked not to debate or teach contradictory information?

I wouldn't sign a statement of faith I didn't agree with. I wouldn't join a co op that had that kind of statement of faith because my kids and I wouldn't fit in - let me count the ways - old earth but God did it, Roman Catholic, son wants to be a paleontologist, I don't wear the right clothes (modest but just not the denim jumper type.)

Nope. I definitely wouldn't lie about my beliefs to join a group. And I doubt I would feel comfortable in these groups (thinking of the specific SOFs that I have read, which are so contradictory to my own beliefs), so I wouldn't want to join anyway.

I think that a SOF can be just a group statement of who THEY are and an understanding that anyone joining needs to know it and respect it going in whether the potential member's faith in in agreement or not.

Even so, I don't know that I would sign it or join.

Why?

Well I guess it depends on what the group is.

If it's a support group - how much real support can people who believe very different from me give?

If it's a coop - how hard might it be to COOPerate with people who may not feel a need to understand my perspective?

Now, I'm sure there are examples of both those things where it works just fine. But I've seen many an example where it didn't. One is always left feeling odd duck out rather than a part of the group.

So. All that to ask, why would one want to join a group that has a SOF they don't agree with? What's the benefit?

No I would not do that. Even if I agreed to it. I'm sorry, but I think it is ridiculous. I don't expect people to believe as I do and I don't want to be asked the same. Stating one agrees to a certain faith does not make them a better and more trustworthy person.

I don't belong to a co-op at present but here's one reason why a co-op would have it: If you're of a particular faith and have decided to hs because of that, you wouldn't want someone teaching something that is contrary to that belief. My friend said her co-op has a SOF for the main teachers. If you're a hall monitor or an assistant, you don't have to sign it. So in that co-op, you could attend but not teach unless you were willing to abide by the beliefs of the group and not teach anything contrary to that belief. I think it's perfectly acceptable. In this co-ops case, it's not about being better or more trustworthy. It's about protecting what you set out to teach your children. You can choose to attend or not but I think it's petty to put a co-op down because of their SOF. If you don't like it and can't find one you like, start your own. I've done things like this several times.

It would depend on the beliefs. Obviously nobody should pretend to agree with a statement which contradicts their own faith. But where differences are relatively minor and inconsequential (old earth vs. young earth creationism) and a prospective member doesn't feel strongly about either one, I don't think it would be unreasonable to accept the beliefs that the group has agreed upon.

hmmm....

Why is exclusion viewed as bad?

I mean many of us hs because we want to exclude certain elements of the school system.

I am a part of a Catholic hs support group. Not much of one because there aren't many of us and we're spread over half the state, but still at least 1 parent must be catholic to join.

There are literally dozens of other christian groups to join, not to mention pagan and other alternative lifestyle support groups and all inclusive groups.

What is wrong with saying that we are exclusive to certain members? It's not like any of us are refusing to associate with the world - far from it. We are simply looking for support for who we are first - Catholics.

Curious about this...:bigear:

Thank you all. I'm wondering simply because I know of a situation where the person *did* sign a SOF and yet I know she holds greatly different religious views. She obviously wanted to partake of the co-op's offerings and felt it expedient to "agree". The leaders of her co-op would be mortified if they really knew what this woman believed! I was just curious at how prevalent that type of thinking might be.

Thank you all. I'm wondering simply because I know of a situation where the person *did* sign a SOF and yet I know she holds greatly different religious views. She obviously wanted to partake of the co-op's offerings and felt it expedient to "agree". The leaders of her co-op would be mortified if they really knew what this woman believed! I was just curious at how prevalent that type of thinking might be.

First, I would not do it because a) it would be dishonorable, contravening my religious principles, and b) I would then have to spend all my energy with this group worrying that I or my child might inadvertently say or do something or someone might see us in another situation that would "out" us as being different. I can't and won't live like that, nor is that the type of behavior I want to model for my child. There are a great many activities locally in which we cannot participate because of this very reason, most of which have absolutely zero to do with religion in my opinion, but there it is.

Now, as to why someone might do so, I will tell you that I have known families to do this very thing because the co-op or group with the SOF may be the only option in town for those particular types of activities (or any activities at all). They view signing the SOF and possibly even participating in the worship activities of a religion in which they do not believe as part of the "fees" they have to pay to get the services they want, so they try to "pass". I have had at least one of them say to me, "As long as the wrong person doesn't find out, we'll be okay".

It's all well and good to say "well, just start your own" but that is much, much easier said than done. It takes a tremendous amount of energy and manpower to start and maintain a co-op and if you don't have a large population base on which to draw, it gets even more difficult. Our inclusive group is currently working to do exactly this and it is very difficult.

It's hard for me to imagine what religious views would condone such behavior, sigh.

I have!

Well, *I* didn't sign the SOF, only the "head of the household", ie, the father, had to sign. That right there tells you the kind of group it was, huh?

However, at that exact moment in time, DH was not yet a Catholic. I was/am, and couldn't sign. We were in a small town in south Mississippi, no kids in our neighborhood, no homeschoolers at our church, and some very, very lonely little girls who had left a vibrant neighborhood back in Washington state. We *needed* people- really badly. So we joined under less than honest precepts. Dishonest? Maybe, I didn't really hide anything. They knew what church we attended. They knew I was a Democrat, LOL.

We had only a few friends anyway, because of those things, but those few were so precious, and I wouldn't have ever met them without that group. Those few friends knew the "real me", but to be honest, I have always had a wide variety of friends with wildly different beliefs, and never had a problem. I tend to be a "cup half full" sort who can find common ground with pretty much anyone.

When DH joined the Church at Easter the next year, we couldn't sign. So we didn't join again, but thankfully had found these 3 families we now knew.

I don't feel the least bit as though I did something wrong, to be honest. DH is military- its not like we could choose not to live there. I knew my children needed some friends, and by golly, I found them.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I signed one once for a support group, after I asked the leaders to change the wording to something more generic. :-)

They didn't see what the big deal was, but I was supremely uncomfortable with the first version and couldn't sign. So I did the next best thing. After it was changed, I signed.

If it came down to sign or leave, I would have left, but they were very reasonable.

Nope. If it's important enough to the group to require a statement of faith, then I would respect that enough to not join if I didn't hold the same beliefs.

It would depend on the beliefs. Obviously nobody should pretend to agree with a statement which contradicts their own faith. But where differences are relatively minor and inconsequential (old earth vs. young earth creationism) and a prospective member doesn't feel strongly about either one, I don't think it would be unreasonable to accept the beliefs that the group has agreed upon.

I used the old earth v. young earth creationism example and I'd like to use your post to expound (now that I'm home from grocery shopping, have I mentioned how much I hatehatehatehate it? whew!).

I completely agree with you.

Honestly, I don't believe in young earth or old earth creationism. I don't think I have enough information. I don't think I *need* to know one way or the other. So, while I could sign a statement that says "these are the tenants of the group and I will respect them and not teach anything contrary to these beliefs." I could not in good faith sign one that said "I believe these tenants to be true."

It's a huge difference. And I had friends in the aforementioned co-op (and I was a *leader* in the scouting troop that met in the same church but it didn't require signing anything) who didn't understand why I didn't just sign it, they didn't see it as a big deal.

I kinda answered something similar earlier:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=195521#post195521

i will add that if I knew a homeschooler who signed a SoF to join a specific co-op and did NOT agree w/ the statement, I wouldn't necessarily "out" them.

I can see people doing that to gain access to co-ops like band, debate, theater, and sports, where it is often very difficult [if not downright impossible] to start up a group that would be blackballed in the typical competitive arena.

I don't think I could sign a SoF w/ which i did NOT agree.

I have no problem signing a SoF tho. I respect EVERYONE's rights to peaceably assemble according to their own standards. They certainly don't exist to serve me and my children.

So I guess it depends on which part I "didn't really believe". Is it something I *don't* believe -- that I disagree with -- or something that I just don't believe I can know?

I understand this totally, because I'd be in the same situation if presented with a SOF that included (as an example) the literal 7 days thing -- and I *would* sign it, because I don't "disbelieve" it :)....I just don't know what I believe for that yet! I wasn't raised as a Christian (only became one in the past year) and I have no idea what I think about the young/old earth and the creation/evolution/etc stuff...I know God created the world, but as for exactly when and how...I don't know..yet? Ever? ...eh.

I don't see it deceitful in that sense - there's a difference between truly not believing in something and being unsure {yet} ....

We don't have a "co-op" here, at least not in the sense that it's often used - there *is* a group, they get together now and then for craft fairs or field trips, but there's no weekly classes or the like.. we do belong, never asked to sign a SOF...the group is pretty obviously Christian, but we've never really been asked about our beliefs... well, one lady asked what church we attended, but that was in context of a convo in which I mentioned it first (I said something about dd11 being in a play there and she asked which one) and when I replied (Nazarene) she asked if it was Christian - I guess she wasn't familiar with the denomination.... that's it though for discussion of beliefs there....

And I had friends in the aforementioned co-op (and I was a *leader* in the scouting troop that met in the same church but it didn't require signing anything) who didn't understand why I didn't just sign it, they didn't see it as a big deal.

If it's not a big deal if you sign it when you don't agree, then it serves absolutely no purpose and should be dropped. It's a big deal because they have chosen to make it a big deal. That is their prerogative, but if it isn't a big deal that everyone actually mean what they sign, then they shouldn't have the SoF to start with.

Turn the situation around and ask them whether *they* would be comfortable signing a document that said that Jesus was not God, or that the Bible was not literally true or that life came about through evolution or be required to participate in, say, a Muslim worship activity before each game just so that their kid could play in the only homeschool band or on the only basketball team within a couple hours' drive. What would be the big deal anyway? It's just words on paper or doing what you have to to get along with the group, right? It's not like you really *mean* it......

It might help them to see the situation through the eyes of someone who is not part of the desired "in" group.

It's all well and good to say "well, just start your own" but that is much, much easier said than done. It takes a tremendous amount of energy and manpower to start and maintain a co-op and if you don't have a large population base on which to draw, it gets even more difficult. Our inclusive group is currently working to do exactly this and it is very difficult.

Yes. It does. So the question is, if someone ELSE (or many someone elses joined together) has invested that tremendous effort and their only request is that like-minded persons who agree on the basics as illustrated in their SOF be the only ones who benefit - is it ethical to take advantage of their work regardless of that SOF?

I don't know that it is. I don't know how one can explain to their children that it's okay to ignore their faith in exchange for band or soccer or to make friends. I would be interested in how that was explained to a young child? Do they tell their kids to hush about these differences? (I can so easily picture my oldest telling someone all about the Pope and his authority and the importanceof Tradition with a capital "T".;))

I don't know that I'd refuse someone who came to me honestly and sincerely saying they were interested in our coop but couldn't in good conscience sign a SOF. (Which we don't have btw - CATHOLIC is in the title and that's usually enough.:D) I'd be honest about my concerns over how comfortable they would really feel here and whether their child could fully participate for example. But I would probably let them come as long as we were all above board and honest.

I think one might be justified in booting out someone who was less than sincere to get in though?

I do not say this is anger or in accusation. I'm simply weeding out my own perspective here. It wasn't that long ago that there was not any catholic hs-ing groups in my state and such hs-ers had to make these very choices. Join a prot group with a SOF that our bishop and priests say we should not sign or go solo. Even now that we have a Catholic hs group, many feel they have to join prot groups because they are bigger or have sports or whatever.

I don't know. For now, we are happy with our little support group and have enough friends outside our faith without our joining a prot group. I hear tell it's a diferent ballgame in highschool though.

if the group has a statement of faith, it is likely that their faith tradition will be a central part of who they are and what they do as a co-op. Therefore, the group would not be a match anyway.

Our co-op has a generic statement of faith, similar to the Nicene Creed, and we have about 70% non-Catholics, and 30% Catholics. We are a very Christ-focused and fellowship-oriented group. Honestly, it's not been an issue, and we don't emphasize denominational differences. The downside is that it can be tricky to find speakers that somebody doesn't disagree with! Practically, from a scheduling perspective, I can see where it would be easier to have in-depth discussions and speakers within one's own faith tradition. It works for us, though!

I'm sure there is a group out there that is a fit, or it always an option to form one.

I did once and regretted it. IMHO, if someone has to ask me to sign a statement of faith, it's not the kind of group/co-op I want to be in. I prefer groups that have acceptance and tolerance of everyone.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, I have a funny situation that was managed with wonderful grace all the way around, I think. We were asked to sign a statement of faith for a co-op. There was one specific part of the statement that was worded in a somewhat ambiguous way, but we knew that that people at the co-op are adherents to Sola Scriptura. However, the statement did not ask for compliance *specifically* with this belief. We went to the person who was our liaison and explained that while we could in clear conscience sign the somewhat ambiguous statement, we were wondering if they were going to *interpret* it as Sola Scriptura.

His response was so lovely. He said that the statements to to open the conversation so that we could all discuss the issues at hand, and respond in Christian love to one another, and protect the relationships among us. I was *dumbfounded*--because I have run across the response so many here have experienced. He suggested we write what *we* wanted to say regarding that statement, which we did, and that was that. We have discussed this and many other issues over the past year, and it has every last time been in kindness and grace and love and not once in judgment or condemnation.

I am very blessed to have this co-op in my son's life. He has logic and progym with this particular teacher and it is a great benefit to us.

And *that* is the Church at its best, no? I understand the covenant philosophy and the need to be able to rely on a common basis for teaching each other's children. I can see that there can be a time for that. And, yet, I think many times these groups miss folks that are very devout, very sincere, trying to walk the same walk, part of the Church at large and in agreement with the Apostle's Creed. I taught a girls book club for several years in which every girl went to a different church. I *loved* our little ecumenical (I never can spell or say that word) group! I was very careful to teach basic Bible and not to stray into the hairs which we parents might split. :001_smile:

Lisa