Menu

Writer's Workshop Forum??

Hey folks, I posted about the possibility of a separate site for posting writing projects on the thread about posting our dc's writing samples. I spoke with dh and it is possible for us to set up and host a forum that we could all use to post our dc writing samples on. We could set it up so that there was a section for each grade level (I think :)). What do you guys think? Is this something you want me to go ahead and do? If so, what would you like to be able to do there? Dh thinks that he could have something up for us to use in about two weeks if you all are interested.

If it's not too much trouble for your DH, we could certainly try it and see if it works out. I think each grade level would work well, just as a method of sorting. It would have been nice to have something here at WTM to work however for one stop shopping.

My other thought was to use the tags which I confess, I've never used. If we tagged writing samples w/ "writing samples" we could use that to search and it would pull them up. Not as convenient however as having them all in one spot.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I think this is a wonderful idea if you have the time to do it! I agree that the other thread is already overwhelming.

Mallory's idea of three levels makes sense to me.

Yes, I like the idea of tagging the story with enough information that someone could type in IEW, or CW, or CW 5th, IEW 8th, or WT beginning logic writers, etc.

In a blog type atmosphere the tagging would at least categorize things for the next person who is searching for samples of a specific writing program, or age group. I also like the idea of posting some sort of sticky on this forum that stays on the main WTM logic page, so newcomers can be told of the program.

I don't know if this is overkill or not, but in my mind more ideal, as it would allow for comments to go with each blog post... it would allow everyone to tag it appropriately to categorize, and would be easier for people to find what they are looking for.

I'm not sure if moving it off the WTM site would be a positive or not though until we try. I guess as long as there was a notation, people would find it?? It's too bad the social group wouldn't allow for a greater word count with each post.

My concern was also that it would get lost over time. However, if it stays busy enough, it should sustain itself. It would be great to have a community where we could post writing projects for all ages and get feedback not only from homeschooling moms, but also from the writing greats, like SWB and the authors of IEW and CW. Although that idea may only exist in a dream world :D.

I also sent a PM to the mods that if they didn't want to start a sub-forum, I'd would be willing to start a new forum with the hope that we could put a sticky post about it here. We'll see what happens about it :).

OK, folks, we've set up two subforums, one for K-8 and one for high school. I'm not quite sure how these should be organized, so we might need to use them first to figure out whether they need to be structured in some way. Feedback appreciated.

SWB

Thank you SWB :thumbup: