Menu

What can I do with this ground beef (and maybe ground turkey)?

I have all this ground beef from our co-op order. I'm tired of burgers and meatloaf and tacos (and chili is not popular here), but what else is there?! Does anyone have any recipes they love that involve ground beef (and maybe some ground turkey if it works well with a mix-in)?

TIA!

At the bottom, I've posted a few recipes that my family likes. You could also make meatballs or add the ground beef/turkey to spaghetti sauce. For a change from tacos, use the taco-seasoned meat in taco salad or giant burritos. (These work well in my family, because everyone can add what they want, skip what they don't like.)

Mushroom and Provolone Patty Melts

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dirty Rice--very quick and easy to make; I sometimes prepare the onion, meat, mushrooms earlier, then just fix the rice, heat the meat/vegs and mix together. You can easily substitute any meat here, or work with the vegetables--I've added green pepper, or used red onion, and I usually use fresh mushrooms.

1/2 onion, chopped

1 lb. sausage or other ground meat (I used lower fat Jimmy Dean)

1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice

1 can sliced mushrooms, drained

Fry the sausage and onion together until sausage in brown and onion is soft and cooked through. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package directions. When both are done, combine in one of the pans (whichever is big enough), add mushrooms and mix well.

This also makes a great potluck dish (I'm planning to bring it to one next week), as it doesn't have to stay piping hot to taste good.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Husband Delight (gotta love that name!)

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 clove garlic, crushed

24 oz. tomato sauce

3 green onions, finely chopped

8 oz. fine egg noodles (also called fideo _____ , I think; I've had trouble finding either lately, and now just break up fettucine noodles before cooking)

8 oz. cream cheese, softened (can use fat free)

1 c. cottage cheese (can use fat free)

1/2 c. sour cream (can use fat free)

1 c. cheddar cheese (can use low fat)

Brown the ground beef with the garlic. When cooked through, remove from heat and add the tomato sauce and green onion.

Cook and drain the egg noodles. Add the cream cheese, mixing well to blend together. Add the cottage cheese and sour cream.

In a large casserole dish, spread a little of the tomato sauce mixture to lightly coat the bottom. Layer with half the noodle mix, half the meat mix, and repeat. Top the whole thing with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 for 40 mins. until heated through.

Serves 8, makes great leftovers, and freezes well after cooking.

Kofte (Turkish Meatballs):

1 lb ground beef

1/2 bunch flat parsley, finely chopped

1 onion, finely chopped

1-2 tsp cumin (depending on your preference)

1/2-1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 egg

bread crumbs to hold it all together - amt. depends on the mix, usually about a 1/3-1/2 cup?

I mix everything but the meat and bread crumbs together in a bowl, add the meat, squish it all together until it's a cohesive mass, then add bread crumbs to make it hold together well. Form small patties (about 2" in diameter) and pan fry with a little oil.

This works with ground turkey as well.

If you like this, you can vary it by taking cooked kofte and stewing them with chopped onion, tomatoes, and potatoes, with water to cover - salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes are done and water is now broth-like. Serve with rice. I usually start with frozen kofte and by the time the potatoes are cooked the kofte has thawed and reheated nicely.

Spaghetti and meatballs

Beef stroganoff (use the ground beef or turkey instead of the pieces of beef)

My favorite ground turkey recipe is a variation of the Rachael Ray Big Bird Burger from her 365 cookbook.

I take a pound of ground turkey and mix in a 10 oz. package of frozen spinach (thawed and drained), a handful of fresh basil (I use a teaspoon of dried if i don't have fresh), and a tablespoon of dijon mustard. I mush it all together, divide it into patties, and cook in a skillet with olive oil on medium heat on each side for 6 or 7 minutes. It sounds weird, but even my kids who don't like eating anything green love them.

Meatballs!

Then you have spaghetti & meatballs, sweet & savory meatballs over rice, and meatball subs. I usually cook up 8-10 lb of ground meat (beef/pork/turkey) into meatballs at a time, broil them, and then freeze them. It's so easy to take them out on a hurried night and defrost. Voila!

One of my favorites is to make italian meatballs in a little bit of spaghetti sauce and serve them over fettuccine (or any pasta) alfredo. The mixture of sauces is yummy!

I made stuffed shells last night with ground beef. It was one pound of ground beef browned then drained. Then add a cup of finely diced onions, one clove of garlic, and 6 ounces of chopped spinach. Mix it up and cook for 10 minutes then let cool a bit. Add an egg, 1/4 cup of fresh grated Parmesan, a teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Spoon mixture into shells that have already been cooked and place in a 9x13 pan that has a cup of spaghetti sauce covering the bottom to prevent sticking. Cover with a little bit more sauce and sprinkle with a cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until warmed through. Kids liked it.

With ground beef, we also make:

Bean and beef burritos

Shepard's Pie

Hamburgers

Spaghetti sauce for spaghetti or lasagna

Meatloaf

Ground Beef Stroganoff

Chili

Chili Mac

Greek!

We make pitas or wraps by seasoning ground beef with Greek seasoning as it browns, then add cucumber/dill /yogurt sauce, feat cheese and fresh tomatoes and some green onion or red onion chopped fine if you like it.

Delicious on ww tortillas or pita bread. My kids love the tiny pitas.

I also make kids-sized meat pies. Cut pie crust into medium sized circles. Fill with ground meat with seasoning of your choice, fold in half, crimp edges to seal and bake until browned. I add cooked veggies too sometimes - onion or carrots or green peas.

We've enjoyed experimenting with different seasoning blends for ground meat.

Try Penzey's Spices for some things the grocery doesn't have!