Menu

You want to live near an ocean (choose your own adventure)

& you need it to be CHEAP & you need it to be in an area that has jobs. Decent jobs. Enough to pay for your cheap house on the beach.

Where would you go? Let's assume you speak English & would have to have some kind of visa to leave the US. (Which is fine as long as you can get one, but let's assume your dh doesn't have skills that are quite that special. At least...not ones that you would speak of--I once dreamed that Saddam Hussein kidnapped dh & me so we'd make babies for him because our babies were just so darn cute. But that was 2003, & he was hanging out in Florida for some reason.) :001_huh:

Oh, & *of course* you want to hs.

Unfortunately my dream beach house doesn't meet very many of your criteria. I want to live near the beach in Monterey, CA. We go at least once a month (take the Harley for a ride) and I love it. The California North Coast is full of great beaches; Sunset Beach, Manresa, Natural Bridges, New Brighton, all the way up to Mendecino.

I imagine you are thinking more of a warmer/ tropical beach, right? If you tried that year 'round in California you'd freeze your coconuts off.

Amber in SJ

:lol: Yeah, but a house ON the beach is not cheap!

Our place IS cheap, and it's only a stone's throw away. Can you believe it, they're doing repairs so we won't take them to the tribunal to refuse a rent increase. Our front door works now!

I suppose this is a bit too far for Aubrey to come anyway.

;)

Rosie

Unfortunately my dream beach house doesn't meet very many of your criteria. I want to live near the beach in Monterey, CA. We go at least once a month (take the Harley for a ride) and I love it. The California North Coast is full of great beaches; Sunset Beach, Manresa, Natural Bridges, New Brighton, all the way up to Mendecino.

I imagine you are thinking more of a warmer/ tropical beach, right? If you tried that year 'round in California you'd freeze your coconuts off.

Amber in SJ

Climate is not a huge issue. 100+ degrees, I'd prefer to avoid. I love snow. I don't want to move to Antarctica.

Our place IS cheap, and it's only a stone's throw away. Can you believe it, they're doing repairs so we won't take them to the tribunal to refuse a rent increase. Our front door works now!

I suppose this is a bit too far for Aubrey to come anyway.

;)

Rosie

Not if there are jobs.

:lol: Yeah, but a house ON the beach is not cheap!

Ok, it doesn't have to literally be ON the beach, lol, but close enough that if you open your windows, you can hear the surf. And if the weather's nice enough that you can open your windows at least 3mos out of the year, that would be better.

Amber in SJ

It does not have to be a "dream beach." In fact, the less dreamy, the fewer people. I'm into fewer people.

So while *my* dream beach might be around Virginia, I'm thinking Oregon would be cheaper. I'm open to other hemispheres, though. :D

I have a spot all picked out in northwest Florida, where beautiful piney woods meet clear emerald waters along a strip of sugar white sand.

I'll have to wait until the kids are grown, though, my bungalow will be modest and the steady jobs outside the military or medical field might be a little harder to come by.

How about the Gulf of Mexico? You are already in TX, just go a little south. :001_smile:

I heard TX has more jobs than CA, so how about Matagorda or Freeport?

Can't remember what your dh does for a living but you are a teacher, right?

Should add that I do not know the area at all and have no clue about TX house prices

but I always love these theoretical "where would you move" threads. Sorry, I cannot

help myself.

Edited by Liz CA

Tons of amazing beaches, some cheap to live near, in Brazil.

Not sure of what sort of work you &/or your husband want or need, or what sort of standard of living you require.

Texas Gulf Coast, as someone else mentioned, would not be my first choice. I lived there. You can hear the surf, and even see it, but having seen gorgeous beaches since....it will be so hard to go back there and consider that a beach again. (sigh) Maybe further south though....Padre is nice (S. Padre Island), Corpus Christi, those areas are better than that up near Galveston, etc.

If you want to come to Brazil, let me know. :) The visa issue can be gotten around if you plan on having another baby.......

How about the Gulf of Mexico? You are already in TX, just go a little south. :001_smile:

I heard TX has more jobs than CA, so how about Matagorda or Freeport?

Can't remember what your dh does for a living but you are a teacher, right?

Should add that I do not know the area at all and have no clue about TX house prices

but I always love these theoretical "where would you move" threads. Sorry, I cannot

help myself.

They're not drop dead gorgeous, but TX does have a lot of beachfront. Galveston alone is about 20 miles long and a lot of it is wild, with just a cluster of stilt houses close to the beach. Depending on the kind of work your dh is looking for, I'd try Galveston or Corpus Christi. You could also try further east in Mississippi or Alabama.

Tons of amazing beaches, some cheap to live near, in Brazil.

Not sure of what sort of work you &/or your husband want or need, or what sort of standard of living you require.

Texas Gulf Coast, as someone else mentioned, would not be my first choice. I lived there. You can hear the surf, and even see it, but having seen gorgeous beaches since....it will be so hard to go back there and consider that a beach again. (sigh) Maybe further south though....Padre is nice (S. Padre Island), Corpus Christi, those areas are better than that up near Galveston, etc.

If you want to come to Brazil, let me know. :) The visa issue can be gotten around if you plan on having another baby.......

Yeah, I lived a little less than an hour from there as a kid, & my dad lived on Crystal Beach for a few years. That would do, but...I haven't been there since the last storm, so I don't know what it's like now.

And no snow. And really, I remember having to leave town every year because of hurricane threats. As a kid, I loved that. As an adult, I think that would freak me out.

And no snow. And really, a lot of above 100 degree days.

Brazil sounds fine, but I don't know much about it. Dh & I are kind-of at the point where we'd consider more babies if we could afford to hire help. Otherwise? Not sure. ;)

Oregon is gorgeous, and way cheaper than Cali. Jobs are tough though... especially since many of the coastal towns are small. I live about an hour from a beautiful beach, but would love to live closer!

Yeah, we drove down highway 1 from Canada on our honeymoon, & Oregon was my favorite.

How about Prince Edward Island--any jobs there?

I'm a teacher, but that's moot because I'm hs'ing. Dh...hasn't developed a career in the traditional sense yet. He's got a degree in history. He's got experience in everything from sales to logistics and buying. He has *excellent* customer service skills & has done that on a corporate level (between companies) quite successfully at 2-3 different places.

Too bad he didn't go into computers so he could live anywhere & work from home. :D Nobody ever listens to me, though. :lol:

Maybe you should check out the boating community? What I mean is, when I lived in Central America I learned of a rather large community of families that actually lived on their boats/ships and sailed down/up various coasts until they found work. They'd stay where the work was for awhile (maybe 'til it was finished?) and then continue on. That would allow you to be ON the water and near the beach and would allow you to also do piecemeal jobs.

Just a thought!

How about Croatia?? Cheap + lots of beautiful beaches.

Or South Africa - very very very cheap! And lovely.

Not sure about visas or jobs there.

We are in New Zealand - we could stay here forever. Houses right on the beach are expensive, but one street back they are reasonably priced andyoucan hear the surf. Theyhave a visa program for those who don't get enough points - youcomeon a 2 year work visa and after that they 'upgrade' you to residence. There are jobs - lots of seasonal work as well. Great familylife here. NZ ticks ALL my boxes!

Southeast CT or coastal RI

For most of the year, the weather isn't beachy. But it is plenty warm enough for wading/swimming from June through August, often into September. The cost of living isn't low, and jobs aren't growing on trees. But if you can find a job, and don't have to have a fancy house, I think it is a great place to live. In CT, there's no regulation of homeschooling. We get snow, but not too much, especially closer to the water. The weather is rarely over 90, almost never over 100. We live in southeast CT now, and I'm really bummed that we're going to have to leave in the next couple of years. I'd never lived near the water before moving here, and I've grown very fond of it....

Edited by jplain

How about Clearwater, FL? There's no snow, but the housing is cheapish, it's right on the Gulf and your dh could teach history at Clearwater Christian College.

Here's a listing for a house a few miles from the beach:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1214-Jeffords-St_Clearwater_FL_33756_M50315-75784

Or perhaps Williamsburg, VA? It's cheaper than Northern Virginia, not on the beach but within a reasonable driving distance, and I'm guessing there would be lots of jobs in the history field.

Here's a listing from Williamsburg:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/105-Davis-Dr_Williamsburg_VA_23185_M52405-68019

For most of the year, the weather isn't beachy. But it is plenty warm enough for wading/swimming from June through August, often into September. The cost of living isn't low, and jobs aren't growing on trees. But if you can find a job, and don't have to have a fancy house, I think it is a great place to live. In CT, there's no regulation of homeschooling. We get snow, but not too much, especially closer to the water. The weather is rarely over 90, almost never over 100. We live in southeast CT now, and I'm really bummed that we're going to have to leave in the next couple of years. I'd never lived near the water before moving here, and I've grown very fond of it....

CT is nice and the shore is lovely, but if you want snow come to the northwest corner where I live. I have a lovely nine-foot high pile outside my front door for you to play in. ;)

Not if there are jobs.

There are heaps of jobs as we totally slid by the GFC, but not many of them are on the list that allows you to apply for a Permanant Residence permit.

We are in New Zealand - we could stay here forever. Houses right on the beach are expensive, but one street back they are reasonably priced andyoucan hear the surf. Theyhave a visa program for those who don't get enough points - youcomeon a 2 year work visa and after that they 'upgrade' you to residence. There are jobs - lots of seasonal work as well. Great familylife here. NZ ticks ALL my boxes!

Interesting about the Visa program! That's really cool. And with the USD NZD exchange rate, it's pretty cheap too.

I'm fairly grouchy with Aussie immigration right now.

There are heaps of jobs as we totally slid by the GFC, but not many of them are on the list that allows you to apply for a Permanant Residence permit.

Know where there is a list of them? I've gone looking a few times.

Yeah, the rotters aren't nice to New Zealanders :(

Rosie

Yeah, the rotters aren't nice to New Zealanders :(

Rosie

I get the feeling Aussie Immigration isn't particularly nice to anybody!!:D

The Kiwis have been good to us (Pommies), but it isn't cheap getting all the Immigration stuff sorted. Once it's done though we've been fine.

Oh, no, I don't need it to be warm enough to swim. I just want to walk along the beach in white trousers & hear the mermaids sing, each to each.

How about Clearwater, FL? There's no snow, but the housing is cheapish, it's right on the Gulf and your dh could teach history at Clearwater Christian College.

Here's a listing for a house a few miles from the beach:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1214-Jeffords-St_Clearwater_FL_33756_M50315-75784

Or perhaps Williamsburg, VA? It's cheaper than Northern Virginia, not on the beach but within a reasonable driving distance, and I'm guessing there would be lots of jobs in the history field.

Here's a listing from Williamsburg:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/105-Davis-Dr_Williamsburg_VA_23185_M52405-68019

While his degree is in history, he's never actually done anything w/ that. VA is my #1 daydream, though.

CT is nice and the shore is lovely, but if you want snow come to the northwest corner where I live. I have a lovely nine-foot high pile outside my front door for you to play in. ;)

I don't play in snow. :001_huh: I don't do things that are wet or cold. Naked, either, but that's another story. :lol:

I like to *listen* to the snow & have an excuse for the fire. If it needs shoveling, I wouldn't mark it off my list, but that would have to be a small ding on its pedigree. ;)

Do you need ocean front or just Beach Front? Michigan has some very very nice beachs and we certainly do get the snow as well.

Well...the lakes near my family were...a very different...culture than the ocean. But I think the Mediterranean Sea, for ex, would do. :D

Do the Great Lakes have...shoot, now I can't remember the word...the sound, you know? The crashing waves. That's more important than snow.

Oh, no, I don't need it to be warm enough to swim. I just want to walk along the beach in white trousers & hear the mermaids sing, each to each.

Alas. No mermaids here. But we do have penguins that used to be called fairy penguins further up the bay and in the next bay over.

Rosie

Interesting about the Visa program! That's really cool. And with the USD NZD exchange rate, it's pretty cheap too.

I don't understand GFC. Permanent Residence...how much does that matter?

Alas. No mermaids here. But we do have penguins that used to be called fairy penguins further up the bay and in the next bay over.

Rosie

No, no, Rosie. It's a metaphor. I don't believe in mermaids. (Plus...well, that falls under the naked heading.) :D :lol:

:hurray::hurray::hurray: You would SO LOVE it here! And, HISTORY!!!!!!! Our middle name is history!!!!!!;)

Dh & I have wanted to move to VA for *years.* He went to seminary instead.

Seriously. Anybody who could help w/ getting a job there would be my HERO.

(But at this point, anybody who could help w/ getting a job *anywhere* would be pretty heroic, imo.)

Know where there is a list of them? I've gone looking a few times.

Rosie

Course I do

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/

Skilled occupation list on that page. Points system due to change again 1 July. The occupation list will remain the same but the points allocated are not related to occupation, but age, qualifications, work experience, English level etc. Link to new points on this page http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm

I don't understand GFC. Permanent Residence...how much does that matter?

GFC: Global Financial Crisis. It didn't hit very hard or long here, either in property or jobs.

PR: Well if you want to live here for longer than a work permit will give you, it's EVERYTHING.

Course I do

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/

Skilled occupation list on that page. Points system due to change again 1 July. The occupation list will remain the same but the points allocated are not related to occupation, but age, qualifications, work experience, English level etc. Link to new points on this page http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm

Thanks. An interesting read...

Rosie