Menu

How important is it to take classes on the "Senior Schedule" sent to colleges?

Kimm in WA

My son is enrolled in dual-enrollment courses at the local community college.

In completing college applications, my DS said he was planning on taking an Economics class. How important is it to stick to the "senior schedule" you tell them? Some applications specifically asked "have you or are you taking an economics course?" He's contemplating taking a "philosophy" class instead: Intro to Logic.

He's taking two 200-level classes already in math and science, so thought the intro to logic course would be better otherwise he'll have three 200-level classes (if he takes the Econ).

Registration is tomorrow, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Kimm in WA

My DD changed some of her courses--her Common App went in December 1, and she couldn't even finalize her Spring 2011 DE schedule until after the start of the new year. One of her DE classes was cancelled, and she had to change a math class, so 2 out of 4 classes were not what we had said on the Common App.

Really, I think the colleges want to see that the student is still taking College courses and is not sliding backwards into Senioritis.

About Logic: my DD took a Logic (PHI201) course last summer and she was only a junior, so it was out of sequence. It didn't seem to matter to the FL colleges she applied to.