Menu

From Saxon to Teaching Textbooks

Mama2Boys

I thought I would throw this out there for all those seasoned home schooler opinions. This is my first year homeschooling. My almost 8 year old is finishing up Saxon Math 2 next week and I ordered Teaching Textbooks 4 for him after doing the TT pre-tests. We actually enjoyed Saxon although it did seemed to drag on at times. I have heard that Saxon is behind by a grade level and I was concerned, but since it is our first year home schooling I didn't want any gaps. So, I went ahead and kept my would be 2nd grader in Saxon 2. Now, I am thinking that Saxon is not behind, but possibly ahead of grade level. Just wondering what your experience has been....

How could my average 2nd grade boy (he is very much a typical learner) be ready for Teaching Textbooks 4?

Thanks for reading my overly long rant. :D

My daughter has always had a hard time with math. We started teaching textbooks and she is doing great. I feel alot of moms I spoke to in my homeschooling arena, were all critical of TT, Oh it is behind, it is slower, Well if you look at their progression on their web page, they will be taking all the higher maths at the same time other textbooks do. However, TT teaches with alot of help explaining and correction. It may not be for all students as Saxon or Abeka is not for all students. I believe it is a perfect fit for our home. I dont worry about the behind or slow or what ever is said about it. If your children learn, they are not stressed out, but they are happy in learning, i believe you have a win win situation. nancyt.

You can search TT and find many posts regarding this topic, it has been debated at length. Saxon is your "typical" PS level. I do know that Veritas Press uses it one year "ahead", you can visit their website to see how they do it, but that is considered academically advanced by many. I would place your child in any program by their ability not level/grade. :) Coming from Saxon it could be very likely that your DC tests into TT4.

I think Saxon is pretty solidly grade level. Maybe your friends are considering Math 54 to be behind for a 5th grader, but I think it's perfect for 4th. As for TT, I think it is behind by a year. You can compare the chapters to your state's standards or to Saxon or another textbook and see what you think. I think TT4 would be a pretty good choice for an 8 yr old.

We really like TT here (for my 3rd grader). My only complaint is that the focus is very much on procedure rather than on underlying knowledge of the procedure. So... a child will be shown how to do the algorithm, but not much about why they're doing what they're doing. It's not really a problem, just something to keep an eye on -- maybe just pull out a 100 chart or cuisenaire rods or some base 10 cubes periodically. Also you'll notice that there's little emphasis on memorization of math facts, so you'll need Timez Attack or some flash cards ready. Otherwise, it's a very pleasant way to learn math.

Wow....Thank you so much for the responses. It is wonderful to hear other peoples' opinions about which curriculum to choose. I feel more at ease now with my decision to give him a little break from Saxon. I am pretty sure we may go back to it eventually, but I think he will enjoy the graphics and game like qualities of TT. I just wanted to hit Math from another angle and potentially keep him from feeling "burnt out" in Saxon math.

Thank you again for the help :grouphug: !

I agree that Saxon isn't ahead, and that TT moves at a slower pace. DD did Saxon 1 when she was 5 and was bored almost to tears by it! She finished it quickly, and we ended up doing a different program. I think a lot depends on the learning style of the student, so be aware of how your child is doing, as I'm sure you will be. :D