Menu

Did anyone think about *not* accepting the rebate checks?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

Did it even cross your mind for an instant that maybe you shouldn't accept the money? Do you know anyone who won't accept it?

I admit that even though I think they shouldn't have done this in the first place, I'm looking forward to using the money. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Did it even cross your mind for an instant that maybe you shouldn't accept the money? Do you know anyone who won't accept it?

I admit that even though I think they shouldn't have done this in the first place, I'm looking forward to using the money. Does that make me a hypocrite?

I feel the same way about these checks as I do WalMart. I can't afford the luxury of abstaining. Quite literally.

Send it back to the IRS?

Give it away?

Rip up the check and do nothing else with it?

Is there another way?

What would be the benefit of the action of not accepting it?

Would the IRS just add it as a credit to your tax bill for next year if you sent it back?

If you gave it away, it that the same as not accepting it, since you are deciding who will benefit from it (church, individual, charity...)?

If you rip it up and the check expires, will the money will be reabsorbed into the IRS? By doing this is it any different from giving it away? Aren't you just deciding to gift it back to the IRS?

If you rip it up and the check expires, will the money will be reabsorbed into the IRS? By doing this is it any different from giving it away? Aren't you just deciding to gift it back to the IRS?

:iagree:

If I were opposed to the checks - or, heck, even if I didn't "need" mine - I'd use it locally in a charitable fashion. There are many, many needs out there.

Heck, no! It was our money in the first place. Better it returns to us than is wasted by the government.

No. If, however, I had more money (it was a very slow winter painting wise) I would donate it to a worthy cause. It's hard to want to give it back to those who are squandering it by going more and more into debt (last time I heard the national debt was up to $26,000 for every man, woman and child in the US (I'm not sure if that included illegal aliens or not!)

It is our money they are returning to us. Why would I feel badly about that? They should send a letter of apology along with the check asking my forgiveness for taking it in the first place. :P

That said, I find it ridiculous that the politicians think this will fix the economy.

Heck, no! It was our money in the first place. Better it returns to us than is wasted by the government.

Similarly, I considered not taking employment security payments when I got out of the military. Then I realized that this had been deducted from my pay (or paid by my employer, I forget which) during my entire working career. And I wasn't going to come close to getting all of the deduction/employer contribution back even at the top rate of employment security. At that point, I had no problem with cashing the checks and using them for college tuition payments.

I think that the stimulus checks were a silly way to try to stir up the economy. But declining the money isn't going to fund any federal programs that I'm particularly fond of. I can use it to good use. I am, however, going to try to spend in a way that keeps the bulk of the money in the US a little longer (ie, not spending it on foreign made electronics or toys). I'm thinking that little Waldorf dolls made in the US or a couple pieces of local art or donating to some local good purposes is a goal for part of the money.

Did it even cross your mind for an instant that maybe you shouldn't accept the money?

As far as I know, we aren't receiving a check. That's fine with me, since I don't support this form of economic stimulus. If we were to receive anything, I would pass the money along to a charitable cause.

Do you want my honest opinion?:) I think it makes you human, let's just put it that way.

Because rebates come from the government, as everybody knows, and the government is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to people not trusting them, as rebates are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the politician in front of me. On the other hand, you would have suspected that I would have known the rebate's origin; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the politician in front of you.

Because rebates come from the government, as everybody knows, and the government is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to people not trusting them, as rebates are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the politician in front of me. On the other hand, you would have suspected that I would have known the rebate's origin; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the politician in front of you.

Truly you have a dazzling intellect.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Oh, I'd rather give it away than not spend it! Even in the bank dollars are losing their value. Interest rates aren't matching the level of inflation.

Would I return it ? No .

If I had no money issues I would give it to the many beautiful special needs families that I know ( if anyone is really interested in not spending this money pm me for names of some very needy families that have children with special needs that need the help .)

I am very much into charity and wished I had a ton of money . I know I always give a little to others . I just have to .

Yes, I too think the whole thing is stupid.

Let's be clear that there are some receiving checks who have not paid federal tax, so the statements made like "it was our money in the first place" only applies to those who paid federal taxes. So those checks actually come from out of the money that was collected from those who do pay federal taxes.

Much of the money an employer withholds from your check is in the form of social security and medicare taxes (which the employer matches). State taxes are also not to be confused with federal taxes.

Why would the government owe you an apology for collecting taxes?

Well, because it's a collosal waste of money simply for the administration of this thing when they could have just let everyone keep this amount to begin with.

So no, not an apology for taking taxes to begin with, but for taking taxes and then sending them right back out. Huge, inefficient waste of money.

Well, because it's a collosal waste of money simply for the administration of this thing when they could have just let everyone keep this amount to begin with.

So no, not an apology for taking taxes to begin with, but for taking taxes and then sending them right back out. Huge, inefficient waste of money.

I'll match that, and raise you an, "AND HAVE YOU SEEN what they DO with my money after they take it?!?!!" ;)

Yes, I too think the whole thing is stupid.

Let's be clear that there are some receiving checks who have not paid federal tax, so the statements made like "it was our money in the first place" only applies to those who paid federal taxes. So those checks actually come from out of the money that was collected from those who do pay federal taxes.

Yes. I'm still keeping ours when it comes. It's about as stupid as those $400/child cheques we received a few years ago. No, cheques is not a typo, I still use Canadian spelling, even if Canadian newspapers don't!