Menu

Baby shower gift: a basket of books. What would you include?

Seconding:

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

Piggy in a Puddle

Russell Hoban's Frances books

Adding:

books by Tana Hoban such as Black on White for an infant or Red, Blue Yellow Shoe which is the one we had

Max and Ruby books by Rosemary Wells, Max's Bedtime and Max's Chocolate Chicken were favorites

George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends by James Marshall we loved

(How about The Well-Trained Mind???)

Regards,

Kareni

If she is from another part of the world:

When I have friends who are from a different culture or country, I try to buy books that from their 'home'. If they are bi-lingual, I buy it their native language, if not, then an American translation. It hasn't always been easy to find, but well received non-the-less.

You have already received many of my first suggestions, but can I add

Make Way for Ducklings and Blueberries for Sal

I would also suggest, if you are getting Beatrix Potter books, to get the separate little hardbound books. These were my baby's favorite because she could hold the little books and manipulate the pages by herself at a much younger age.

Cool didn't see these listed

Baby Angels book

Jessie Bear what will you wear book

Mama, do you love me book

there was another one but I didn't see it on my college boy's shelf. Yes he still has some of his favorites on his bookshelves. He loves books

Ah and a favorite Christmas book

Who's coming to our House?

And a fun story about it. College boy LOVED that story as a child. We read it every year. Anyway last Dec at college one of his profs was reading it in class-not sure the background- but when he got to the question "Who's Coming to Our house?" Ds said outloud "Someone Someone Said mouse". Cracked up people.

Edited by ZooRho

I would steer away from Guess How Much I Love You? and the like (baiscally, anything you can get at Target,) because they are so common. I think I had three copies of each by the time my showers were over.

I would get a really good Peter Rabbit collection, a well-illustrated Mother Goose, an Aesop's fables, and then a few hardbacks with great illsutrations - maybe The Little Engine that Could, Make Way for Ducklings, and such.

And I have to agree that Bear Snores On is fabulous to read aloud.