Menu

Baby shower gift: a basket of books. What would you include?

My niece is having our family's next generation's first child next month. I know she will get all the baby 'stuff' she needs and then some.

Instead of another baby carrier or more infant clothing, I would like to give her a large basket of books that she can keep by the rocking chair and easily find something wonderful to read to her baby girl now and for years to come.

I have several favorites in mind but I wonder, if you were doing such a thing, what would you include?

Mommy, Carry Me Please (my DD loved this and had it memorized around 18 months - 2 years): http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Carry-Please-Jane-Cabrera/dp/0823419355/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297819246&sr=8-1

Go Dog Go - a favorite of my oldest DD around 2 years old

Fox in Socks

God Gave Us You http://www.amazon.com/God-Gave-Lisa-Tawn-Bergren/dp/1578563232/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297819327&sr=1-1

The board book version of Goodnight Moon.

I know it's been done a million times, but that's why you have to do it! It's the classic baby book. Our copy is practically falling apart.

Our copy of Little Fur Family is worn to bits too. For me, those two books would definitely go in the basket.

If you want a wild card, I love The Hiccupotamus---awesome illustrations and a hilarious story!

Babycakes by Karma Wilson is another wonderful board book that both of my boys adored.

The other suggestions, esp. Goodnight Moon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and Good Night, Gorilla are perfect.

For a little later on, Bear Snores On is a great read-aloud that most kids love.

Edited by jenL

I think that is a great idea, I would have loved to have receive that as a gift. :001_smile:

I think it would be nice to include a few for several age groups...IYKWIM.

Like several baby board books :

Goodnight Moon

A Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Runaway Bunny

one of the usborne "That's not my"..books

I Know a Rhino (gotta get that one!)

Goodnight Gorilla

Then a few toddler books (some are still board books)

Is Your Mama a Llama

Sheep in a Jeep

a Sandra Boynton book

Go Away Big Green Monster

Maybe one of those first words books with photos

Dinosaur Roar!

Jamberry

Silly Sally

How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

And then preschool books for a girl...

Dr. Seuss books

Pinkalicious

Madeline

Fancy Nancy

Olivia

A good fairy tale book

Ladybug Girl

A few general ideas of favorites

Where the Wild Things Are

Children's Poetry Book

Mother Goose

If You Give a Pig a Pancake

Aesop's Fables

I could go on and on, I better stop now! :)

Not sure how big of a basket you'll do, but you could even put a set of books for later, like Little House or E.B. White's books or something, sort of a childhood of books...Sounds fun, I'd love to put something together like that. :) You are a nice relative!!

ETA: OK, it took me so long to type this up, and all of my suggestions are repeats. :) LOL Glad to see we all love some of the classic children's books!!

Edited by blakereese

Anything by Sandra Boynton we are big fans of Moo Ba La La La!, But Not the Hippopotamus, Blue Hat, Green Hat and Hippos go Berserk here.

Dr. Seuss is always good can't really go wrong with any of them. We like Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish best at the moment, but it changes easily.

Both of mine love If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If You Give a Moose a Muffin

The Usborne Touch and Feel That's Not My XYZ books are a lot of fun too.

DS is really enjoying Where the Wild Things Are and Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy as well

And you can't forget The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Ooh the suggestion for a book for a slightly older child is great too. A book that my girls have absolutely adored is:

James Herriots Treasury for Children

I can't say enough good things about it. Beautiful illustrations. Wonderful stories about animals. Heartwarming. Just wonderful. It's great as an audiobook too.

Runaway Bunny and the How Much I Love You book with the nutbrown hare, for some reason I am flaking on the name. (But I like it because one is about a mama bunny loving her baby, and the other is about a dad bunny... it's nice to have some daddy love...)

We recently picked up The Goodnight Train and it is perfect for getting a little one to feel drowsy - lot of sound effects i.e. "rocka... rocka... shhhh...shhh."

My niece is having our family's next generation's first child next month. I know she will get all the baby 'stuff' she needs and then some.

Instead of another baby carrier or more infant clothing, I would like to give her a large basket of books that she can keep by the rocking chair and easily find something wonderful to read to her baby girl now and for years to come.

I have several favorites in mind but I wonder, if you were doing such a thing, what would you include?

Without reading other replies---

Goodnight Moon

Guess How much I love you

A good book of several classics.....

I'm a big fan of Honey for a Child's Heart.

I'd do at least 1/2 board books.

Eric Carle is HUGE in our house.

Piggies by Audrey Wood - I love all of her stuff.

Good Night Moon.

The Giving Tree.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear

Dr. Seuss anything.

I'll Love You Forever.

Tuesday or Three Little Pigs by David Weisner. Love him, too.

Hug or Goodnight Gorilla.

Mother Goose board book.

Gosh, there are so many!!

For a little later on, Bear Snores On is a great read-aloud that most kids love.

:iagree:Bear Snores On is a GREAT book. It's full of fun onomatopoeia. It's my almost-2yo's favorite book, and I've read it so many times over the years that I have it memorized, but it's one of those books that is still fun to read every time. Especially if you do different voices :D

I love Keven Henkes mouse books--there are board books for little ones and picture books for older kids. http://www.kevinhenkes.com/young.asp takes you to his mouse characters.

I also love Russel Hoban's Frances books for 2-5 year olds; the one with the youngest Frances is Bedtime for Frances, http://www.amazon.com/Bedtime-Frances-Trophy-Picture-Books/dp/0064434516

They're amusing for parents to read, and great empathetic fun for kids.

You have lots of replies already, but I had to put in my 2 cents :) A young friend recently had her first baby. I gave her a collection of various Peter Rabbit books: a big, classic hardback with all the stories, a touchy-feely book, a plastic bath book, one in Spanish (they are of Spanish decent), a lift-the-flaps book, and so on, but all Peter Rabbit books. On top of the basket I put a Peter Rabbit china cup. It was well received :)

Pat the Bunny. A Must!! We are on our 2nd copy.

If she is a Christian, The Jesus Storybook Bible. I received this as a baby gift and LOVE it!!

Goodnight Moon.

The Cat in the Hat.

Are You My Mother.

Winnie the Pooh. There are some editions where each chapter has been broken up into it's own separate book and illustrated more heavily. My younger children like Pooh better this way.

Just a few musts off the top of my head.

My current baby loves all the Annie Kubler board books. We have loved the Karen Katz lift the flap books (Where is baby's bellybutton and others). I also really like the Usborne Thats not my... Wheels on the bus by Zelinsky is another favorite. I also like cloth books, bath books, and other fun pop-up, touch and feel, and lift the flap type books. Those are the kinds that you can't get at a library.

You have gotten lots of great suggestions!

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (or others from the series)

something Dr. Seuss

something Jan Brett (my 2yo adores the board book version of The Mitten and others)

something Eric Carle

maybe something Richard Scarry (these are favorites for long car trips)

Mama, Mama

:iagree:

This is so perfect! Something by Lois Ehlert too!

I definitely think it would be a great idea to include books for different ages and stages. We got lots of simple board books when DS was a baby, but a lot of people don't think to give books to toddlers and preschoolers because toys seem more fun.

Great kids books make adults laugh ...

Dr Xargles Book of Earthlets (because every new Mom needs instructions on the mysteries of the alien lifeform she will soon be living with!)

Gorgeous! (because isn't everyone's new baby "Tip top gorgeous and brand spaking new" ? And because Big Zeb goes behind a bush, says "Ouch!" and then re-appears with her new baby. Wish it were so simple!)

Or warm the heart ...

Stellaluna (about a baby bat that loses it's Mom, and is raised by bird - as long as she is prepared to act like a bird)

Tatty Ratty (about a girl who loses a beloved toy, and her search to find it)

These are not for babies, but will be enjoyed by older toddlers and preschoolers onwards.

I haven't read the other responses, but will offer my suggestions:

The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle

Maisy's Colors by ? (My girls all LOVED it!)

A good nursery rhyme book

Guess How Much I Love You? by ?

I'd favor board books over real paper books when buying for a baby.