Menu

E-reader recommendations please

What do you want from it?

I have a NookColor, it is pretty fun with a lot of features.

Kindles are nice too.

I liked the touch screen on the nook and that it is backlit. It also has games like crosswords and soduku.

At the moment I want to download the 225 books for $99 from Yesterday's Classics that I saw on the K8 board. Overall, I have wanted one since they came out but now there are several options and I really don't know what I want. Easy on the eyes is important to me. When you say backlit does that mean you could read it in dim lighting? That would be a huge plus. Can you tell I don't really know what I want from it?

At the moment I want to download the 225 books for $99 from Yesterday's Classics that I saw on the K8 board. Overall, I have wanted one since they came out but now there are several options and I really don't know what I want. Easy on the eyes is important to me. When you say backlit does that mean you could read it in dim lighting? That would be a huge plus. Can you tell I don't really know what I want from it?

The Nook has a lit screen like a computer screen. It is harder on your eyes but I don't want something I can't read in the dark or requires a light...my kids steal my booklights and run the batteries down.

I love my NookColor. It has many features and I like that it's backlit. If you don't want a backlit eReader, you can get the original Nook. I chose Nook over Kindle because Nook allows you to check out eBooks from the library and Kindle doesn't.

Yes, and there are also still free books.

You can find all sorts of free ebooks at the project gutenberg website.

Nook also has a lending option. Since my mom has a Nook and my sister plans on her husband buying her one then we can lend each other books.

But if you can swing it, get an iPad. I have one, which I bought to use as a reader, and LOVE it. You can download the Nook, Kindle, Borders and eBook apps for free and this allows you to read books in all sorts of formats. Because not all books are available for all devices. But since not everyone wants an iPad (which blows my mind, as I don't ever like Apple products and still LOVE my iPad) or don't want to spend the money (which I do understand), I will give you my insight on the apps themselves: (I don't know how different the readers are, but I'm guessing the apps run similarly on the iPad as they do the readers themselves)

The Nook app is much more user-friendly to me. It uses actual page numbers, has great highlighting and note-taking options, can look things up in a dictionary or Wikipedia and TONS of options for formatting your screen. You can play with the font sizes, colors, background sizes, colors, etc, etc. The book downloading is faster, and the Barnes and Noble website is much easier to use, as it's designed for book searching whereas Amazon can get slow and clogged with all else going on. The downsides- the book selection appears to be more limited on the Nook, and the Borders version, and the Nook only allows you to share certain books and the "lendable" book selection is very very small.

The Kindle, which uses Amazon, has a much broader book selection. And they have a sharing program which the Nook cannot quite seem to figure out. But I find the library, the shopping and the general bookcase management to be clunky in comparison to the Nook. And you don't have as many options in adjusting the look of your screen (on the iPad...) AND, my biggest pet peeve- no page numbers. It gives you percentages of "location" which is just inane. (Maybe that's just an iPad thing and someone else can clarify if the actual Kindle does that...) This is especially frustrating in long texts and Bibles. Argh. But I find SO many more books on Amazon that aren't available on Nook that I'm using it more and more. In fact, just this past week I downloaded the Story of the World volume 1 via Kindle. And the books are usually cheaper, too.

If I had to pick, I would say that the bigger book selection, the cheaper books and the sharing capabilities edge the Kindle into the lead for me. And one can hope that the "cosmetic" things that irritate me can be upgraded or fixed.

Again, seriously, if you can swing it get an iPad. It's in color already. =)

My Nook review with photos

http://www.aworkinprogress.net/p/nook-review-and-ereader-resources.html

I would love a Nook color too if I had disposable income but I have a netbook on which I run Nook for PC and my android phone on which I run Aldiko.

Guess I'm covered. If I started all over, I would still get my Nook but I wouldn't have spent the $$ for the 3G.

I love my NookColor. It has many features and I like that it's backlit. If you don't want a backlit eReader, you can get the original Nook. I chose Nook over Kindle because Nook allows you to check out eBooks from the library and Kindle doesn't.

This is good to know.

LillyMama, thanks for the thorough comparison. I think a trip to Best Buy is in order so I can compare in person.

Thanks everyone and I'm :bigear: for more opinions/thoughts.

So far the ipad and Kindle are my top runners but i have not seen either IRL. I want something that does PDF's well. :tongue_smilie:

I have the latest Kindle and while I love it for books, it is not great for PDF's. Usually the text is to small to read and you have to split up the page into parts, then it is clunky to navigate. I would think an ipad would be much better for PDF's because of the touch screen...