Menu

Best dictionary for kiddos in K-8?

pgr

Do you have a favorite dictionary for the elementary ages? I'm looking for something with substance, not just cute and kiddie; something age appropriate that's also a real reference book they can use. I've looked at various reviews on Amazon - I'm wondering if anyone here can weigh in.:)

Funny that you should ask about dictionaries! I was researching them last week. :001_smile: I ordered this one from Amazon yesterday. I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on it but the price was right. We have the M-W Primary Dictionary by Ruth Heller but it's written for ages 5-8. I hoping that the Intermediate one will be a good choice.

I got an old (1940) college dictionary of conveniently small size: 9" x 7" x 2". Unlike more modern "real" dictionaries, there's not so much information between each word entry and the definition, which makes it easier for a child to see right away what's definition instead of being confused by etymology and word variants, and the type size is a little larger. We had a couple of student/children's dictionaries that grandparents had bought, but they never seemed to have the words that my kids wanted to look up. At $0, the price was right.