Menu

Language Arts/Writing Programs

I am in my first year of homeschooling. My ds attended a french immersion school up to grade 6 (currently grade 7). I have been happy with the progress we have made in most subjects but I have this feeling that he is not learning as much with regards to writing as he should be. We have used MCT Town level this year and it has definitely given him a great grounding in grammar which he did not receive instruction in at school. He is now bored with the repetition of sentence analysis and I must say that neither of us really enjoyed Building Poems. (We are just much more interested in mathematics.) As far as literature and analysis, we have done independent studies on Animal Farm, Diary of Anne Frank and have started working with LL7.

ds will be attending public high school in grade 9 and his sister has come home from high school mentioning the troubles she had with respect to writing good thesis statements, etc in her grade 9 english class. Is there a curriculum out there that you would recommend which would cover these concepts. In my opinion, my son is a very good writer but I would like to help him learn to structure his writing better.

Are there any suggestions out there that might help us out?

Thank you