Menu

So when exactly do I need to inform the district - Ohio?

In Ohio, I have to inform the school district that we're homeschooling at the age of 6. DS turns 6 in December 2011. If I sent him to school, he'd go to K in the fall. Do I submit my intent at the beginning of the school year, or wait until December?

As far as I've worked out, and this is just from talking to the superintendent in my district (Delaware City), K isn't required in Ohio, and attendance isn't mandatory until the year the child will be 6 in August (or September if that's when your K registration cut off is). So, informing the district for the 2011-2012 school year would be optional. But if you're planning on filing, it should be done in the fall.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3321.01 Says that cumpulsory education begins at 6 IF you turn 6 by August or September of that year. Several blogs and homeschooling sites have said that if your child turns 6 after that date, you don't need to register him until the next year (so you'd wait until August/September 2012). I'm guessing that you could file your paperwork early (while he's still 5) or in December.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3321.01 Says that cumpulsory education begins at 6 IF you turn 6 by August or September of that year. Several blogs and homeschooling sites have said that if your child turns 6 after that date, you don't need to register him until the next year (so you'd wait until August/September 2012). I'm guessing that you could file your paperwork early (while he's still 5) or in December.

That makes sense. I've been preparing this year to have a portfolio and everything ready, so I don't have to worry about learning it all next year. I just want to avoid any problems dealing with the district and formalities.

In Ohio, I have to inform the school district that we're homeschooling at the age of 6. DS turns 6 in December 2011. If I sent him to school, he'd go to K in the fall. Do I submit my intent at the beginning of the school year, or wait until December?

You don't notify at all this year. You notify the year your child would START school as a six year old, so you needn't inform the superintendent of your district until 2 weeks before school starts in 2012.

I would encourage you not to notify for Kindergarten. It's not required at your child's age, and it's never a good idea to give them more than you legally are required to.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

He'll be doing first grade in the fall. Our cutoff is sometime in September, so he wouldn't have been eligible for PS this year. Ohio code just says the age of 6.

It doesn't matter what grade he is doing. In Ohio you do not register your child by grade. It is by age ONLY. Some districts will ask you what grade your child is in. You do not legally have to answer this question; you need only provide a birthdate. Regardless of what level work your child is doing, you don't have to notify until the child is 6 by the cut-off date established in your district.

When you give more information than legally required to, it gives the powers that be the impression that they should require that information from everyone.

Tara

You're welcome! When the school district sends me my form every year to fill out and send back to them, they always assign my kids a grade level. Although it does conform to the grades I have them in, I always black it out before I send the form back. I'm snarky that way. :D

I also called them one year to inform them that my excusal letter was invalid because it was not signed by the superintendent, as required by law. It signed instead by the homeschool coordinator. They seemed rather uncertain as to how to respond to that, so I just said pleasantly, "I just wanted to let you know that if you are going to hassle people about adhering to the law, you should do so yourself." Of course, nothing changed, and my excusal letters are still signed by the homeschool coordinator.

But when someone in our neighborhood reported my kids truant, that invalid excusal letter worked for the truant officer who showed up at my door!! :D

Tara

You don't notify at all this year. You notify the year your child would START school as a six year old, so you needn't inform the superintendent of your district until 2 weeks before school starts in 2012.

I would encourage you not to notify for Kindergarten. It's not required at your child's age, and it's never a good idea to give them more than you legally are required to.

Tara

It doesn't matter what grade he is doing. In Ohio you do not register your child by grade. It is by age ONLY. Some districts will ask you what grade your child is in. You do not legally have to answer this question; you need only provide a birthdate. Regardless of what level work your child is doing, you don't have to notify until the child is 6 by the cut-off date established in your district.

When you give more information than legally required to, it gives the powers that be the impression that they should require that information from everyone.

Tara

:iagree:

Also remember that you don't need to put the specific level for the curriculum you're using. For example, I state "Right Start Math" but not which level I'm using this year. Also, the list of "intended curriculum" is just that--what you intend for the year. I intended to use a particular science curriculum this year and put that down. I never bought it, although I intended to. I used something else instead. :)

Definitely wait to notify until the year when your child is 6 at the school's K cut off date. So for my dd, for example, the first year we notified, we were actually doing 3rd grade!

I send in my notification about a week before public school starts. Too much earlier than that and I fear that some bored bureaucrat might have time on their hands and start picking at it. Too late and I fear it might get lost in the crazy paper shuffle that accompanies the start of school.

I hand carry it into the county office and I have the person accepting it sign my own homemade Document of Receipt. I staple that and a copy of the notification and file it with my important papers. I add the school's acknowledgement of excusal from truancy letter when it comes a couple of weeks later and I am good to go.

Of course, we are usually three weeks underway by the time all this happens. I like to start my school year at the very beginning of August!