Menu

Something as thorough as R&S grammar but in workbook format?

I thought I remembered someone mentioning this in another thread but can't remember enough about it to find it anywhere.

A friend looked through my R&S grammar and liked the order of the TOC and liked how thorough the explanations are but doesn't like the religious content and has a dc that wouldn't be able to write out the lessons. I mentioned doing them orally or on a chalkboard but she said her dc works better without her. This would be for a 5th grade level. Thanks!

I haven't ever used R&S due to it's religious content, but I use growing with grammar. I chose it because word has it, the program is very similar in scope to R&S but is secular in content. There are some other differences, it is workbook based and is written to the student. Most of the time, I sit with ds1 and go over the instruction book with him but on busy days, he can handle it himself.

That said, next autum, if you are shopping for next year, SWB's 5th grade grammar program is coming out. If your friend has used FLL and likes it, then I would just wait. I am switching from GWG back to SWB's program as soon as it comes out.

I just switched from R&S to Saxon/Hake grammar for my 10 yr old ds. I'm having him write in the book. It is written to the student and it's supposedly better at teaching composition than Abeka.

My 8yr old ds was also switched... he is now using Abeka. (he had used this previously)

That said, next autum, if you are shopping for next year, SWB's 5th grade grammar program is coming out. If your friend has used FLL and likes it, then I would just wait. I am switching from GWG back to SWB's program as soon as it comes out.

I will let her know about this. She has only had him home for about a year and a half and was using LLAtL but wasn't happy with it. I'll link her to GWG too; I think that was the one I remember hearing about in the other thread. I'll let her know about Growing with Grammar too but I think the pages might be to cluttered for him. Thanks to all of you!