Menu

Singapore's CWP

We are almost done with Singapore 1A and plan to finish 1B by the start of the new school year (fall). If we are this far along and haven't used CWP1, would you recommend getting it and going through it before starting CWP2? Will it be difficult to jump into CWP2 if we haven't done 1? Also, I know the older version was touted as being SO great, now that the new ones are out and being used, are they as good?

You're fine. Almost all of problems are of the simple one-step variety, of a type you can easily make up on your own.

From what I understand, the new editions might have a few tougher problems than the old ones, at least through third grade (I don't know beyond that), but otherwise are similar in both content and number of problems.

I keep hearing this "bar diagram" being discussed, when does that start?

It starts, ever so gently, in Book 1.

At this level they are little more than "number bonds" in a slightly different guise. It does reinfore the whole-parts math found elsewhere in the program, and I think there is a frog-in-the-gradually-heating-water effect. The water is going to boil eventually, might as well get in when the water is nice!

Bill

does anyone know if the CWP books are comparable to the problems in the 'intensive practice' books? DD is doing 1B IP atm as an overview before we start 2a PM. So far it has lots of bar graphs and word problems...

While I've only been using SM and CWP since level 3 and only the IP for 4A- 5A, but I don't think you are missing anything if you are doing IP.

My boys usually find the CWP easy after IP, and it has many different kinds of problems, and they get really hard. In CWP I have them try the first 3 of each chapter and if they get them all right, then we skip to the challenging problems section in each section. They usually get to skip and they usually do okay on the challenging ones too.

Is there some sort of explanation in one of the HIGs or possibly somewhere else as to how, precisely, to explain the bar diagram idea to the kid?

I have the HIGs for 1A, 1B, and 2A, as well as the CWPs for 1 and 2 but haven't seen such an explanation anywhere. Of course, I can just explain it myself, but if there's one thing I've learned so far is that there's what I think it is the most obvious way of explaining something, and then there's the Singapore Way of explaining something. And their way is pretty much always better.

It starts, ever so gently, in Book 1.

At this level they are little more than "number bonds" in a slightly different guise. It does reinfore the whole-parts math found elsewhere in the program, and I think there is a frog-in-the-gradually-heating-water effect. The water is going to boil eventually, might as well get in when the water is nice!

Bill

Hmm. Maybe we aren't as far in 1A as I thought. I'll have to go look, because I haven't seen the description of bar diagram used. I know we do number bonds, though.

Hmm. Maybe we aren't as far in 1A as I thought. I'll have to go look, because I haven't seen the description of bar diagram used. I know we do number bonds, though.

Not 1A of the Textbook/Workbooks, Level One of the CWPs.

Sorry for any confusion.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My DD is using the new CWP 1, and she finds it challenging. Math is not her strong suit, but she is doing well in RightStart C. She finds the arithmetic in CWP1 easy, but has to really pay attention to make sure she sets up the right problem. Many of the questions are not simple one-step problems with clear number bonds.

Here are just a few problems that really made my DD think:

#10 on page 110

Oliver has 11 shirts. He has 5 fewer shirts than Marcus. Marcus has 6 fewer shirts than John. How many shirts do Marcus and John have altogether?

# 3 on page 118

Peter has 25 badges. Martha has 7 fewer badges than Peter. Peter has 9 fewer badges than David. How many fewer badges does Martha have than David?

#10 on page 121

Eva and Dave had the same number of erasers. Bob received 5 erasers from Eva and Dave gave away 10 erasers to Ann. How many more erasers did Eva have than Dave?

My DD is using the new CWP 1, and she finds it challenging. Math is not her strong suit, but she is doing well in RightStart C. She finds the arithmetic in CWP1 easy, but has to really pay attention to make sure she sets up the right problem. Many of the questions are not simple one-step problems with clear number bonds.

Here are just a few problems that really made my DD think:

#10 on page 110

Oliver has 11 shirts. He has 5 fewer shirts than Marcus. Marcus has 6 fewer shirts than John. How many shirts do Marcus and John have altogether?

# 3 on page 118

Peter has 25 badges. Martha has 7 fewer badges than Peter. Peter has 9 fewer badges than David. How many fewer badges does Martha have than David?

#10 on page 121

Eva and Dave had the same number of erasers. Bob received 5 erasers from Eva and Dave gave away 10 erasers to Ann. How many more erasers did Eva have than Dave?

Okay, we are getting CWP 1. :tongue_smilie:

ok, there are some very similar problems in the IP to those Kuovonne posted. They made my DD stop and think, whinge, nearly give up... She can do the arithmetic no problems, but she has some trouble figuring out exactly what the question is asking. We'll get there with some more practice and manipulatives I'm sure! Though if she's still struggling with word problems at the end of the intensive practice book, perhaps investing in a CWP book is a good idea...