Menu

typing

newbeee

Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a great February! We have enjoyed this month with all the presidential holidays and black history and of couse Valentines! I am wondering when is the best time to introduce typing skills? My son is 6....also, what programs have you tried for this skill?

I really don't know when the best time to start typing instruction is. However, my dd just started a beginner typing instruction program (free) and she is really enjoying it. It is animated and silly and she likes it. It is BBC Schools dancemattyping.com. As stated we just started this program so I don't have much of an opinion yet but she has learned the home keys so far. HTH:)

My ds (7) and dd (4) started using Adventures in Typing with Timon and Pumba a few weeks ago based on a recommendation that I saw on this board. They are really enjoying it so far and learning so much! It is a really cute program.

When my son started typing the summer between 1st & 2nd grade we used that program. It was wonderful! Everyone was shocked that he could type so well at 7. He used DanceMat typing next, then Typing Web. He is a very good typist although not particularly accurate having always had a delete key available.

We just started Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum, and it has been a huge hit! DD7 has completed the lessons that cover home row, and after a total of about 1 1/2 hours (we do 15 minutes/day), she knows the home row keys without looking. Now, her speed is another issue ... 4 wpm ... but she's only 7, so there you go. :tongue_smilie: And her accuracy is 100%, which I feel is much more important for an elementary age kid.

FWIW, I used to be a high school computer teacher, and I taught 6 keyboarding classes a day. I think this is a great program that teaches the keys in a logical order, and it even starts them out with lessons on posture, how to "view" the keyboard (invisible diagonal line going down the middle of it), etc. Plus, it's FUN! Lots of games along the way.

Anyway, just another possibility! HTH :001_smile:

We started at age 6, and it's been great! This week she will have mastered Dance Mat Typing. You might want to start with that, it's free. :)

If you do a search, just last week, I reviewed on the boards 3 different typing programs - Dance Mat Typing, Mavis Beacon, and Typing Instructor for Kids. I like them all, but each has its own features we like.