Menu

Pulling a child out mid-year? Info, advice & support needed.

Help me here. I am out of practice and have never actually pulled a child out of school mid-year. They either didn't move on to the next grade in PS or they have always been at home. But it has reached the point where I am ready to bring the 6th grader home now. I just need to know the procedure for doing it in the middle of a school year. I don't know how long she will be home. Definitely the rest of this year, probably next year and hopefully 8th grade as well. I previously used an umbrella school and it seems like going back to them would be the best option. I am going to email them today but I am just wondering what I tell the school when I check her out. Do I just tell them I am bringing her back home and give them a LoI or do I simply give tell them I am tranfering her to the umbrella school?

Oh and by the way, 6th grader is coming back home. Yay! But I am going to have to undo at least a year's worth of PS school damage.

When we did this, I simply wrote a letter to the principal and notified the state DoE that we were homeschooling effective xyz date. If you are on friendly terms with the school, you could just make an appointment and deliver the letter. They need not have nay 'reason' for your decision, btw.

Ok, I just reviewed the TN laws and apparently the local superintendent can disapprove a mid-year removal so I would need to go with the umbrella school. I can register with them and check her out the same day. The only problem is that I am required to list a curriculum when I register and I am not sure what exactly I would be using at this point. I can just list what I think I will be using and change it later but I need to at least come up with an idea of what I would be using.

Ok, I just reviewed the TN laws and apparently the local superintendent can disapprove a mid-year removal so I would need to go with the umbrella school. I can register with them and check her out the same day. The only problem is that I am required to list a curriculum when I register and I am not sure what exactly I would be using at this point. I can just list what I think I will be using and change it later but I need to at least come up with an idea of what I would be using.

Yep. Just register with your umbrella. Check her out. Tell the school she is transferring to XXX school (umbrella name). List whatever curriculum you think you might possibly use. Change as needed. You could just pick a publisher and go with that for now. Use Oak Meadow or BJUP. Then, sort it out later.

I did this with dd in 8th grade. The school truant officer came after us shortly after withdrawing her. Seems the school she left (private) informed the county that she was going to be homeschooled. I did not file the proper homeschooling paperwork with the county. Our "umbrella" is actually a private school option legally. The nice man in charge of our cover sorted it all out with them.

This all sounds doable. Have you taught this age at home before? Good for you for not waiting if she really needs to come home now.

Oh yeah. Children #3 and #4 were home all the way through school. I have actually been homeschooling for 16 years. I good with the actual schooling part it is just the process of pulling them out of school that is new.

Yep. Just register with your umbrella. Check her out. Tell the school she is transferring to XXX school (umbrella name). List whatever curriculum you think you might possibly use. Change as needed. You could just pick a publisher and go with that for now. Use Oak Meadow or BJUP. Then, sort it out later.

I did this with dd in 8th grade. The school truant officer came after us shortly after withdrawing her. Seems the school she left (private) informed the county that she was going to be homeschooled. I did not file the proper homeschooling paperwork with the county. Our "umbrella" is actually a private school option legally. The nice man in charge of our cover sorted it all out with them.

Yes, it looks like this is what we will be doing. She was registered with Homelife for the first five years so she will just be transferring back to her old school. It shouldn't be a problem.