Menu

Odd question - what to look forward to?

I'm currently spending quite a bit of time nursing, and rocking my baby and toddler. This gives me plenty of time to dream about what I want to do when they reach the grammar stage. We're going to have fun! :D But it begs the question, what is there to enjoy about high school? I've read lots of threads about stressing over college, graduation, getting started in life, etc. but I haven't read many about the good parts of having highschoolers. What aspects of highschool should we slow down to enjoy? What should I plan on taking the time to include in our day, just because? I'm going to have teens/ highschoolers in my house for most of the next 20 years, and I want to enjoy the time. :bigear:

The best part of having a high school student is that discussion time gets so much more rewarding as a student matures. If things are going reasonably well you can gradually step back from active teaching and become a mentor. Researching colleges doesn't have to be stressful; start early and make it fun. Leave some space in your plans for electives chosen by the student, too. If you're following a WTM schedule you'll have a lot of required courses; interesting electives help keep students motivated. Having a young adult in the house who takes on responsibility is a nice change after years of juggling diaper bags, car seats and potty stops.

If you can possibly do so, carry over at least a couple of the things you liked best from earlier years such as daily read-aloud sessions, field trips, or regular nature hikes/journals. Scheduling two daily conference times was important for us; one was a time to discuss history, literature or science followed by a more routine "record keeping" session at the end of the day to find out what was or wasn't working, or to make sure work was getting done more or less on time. The only rule for conference times was that they had to be informal, in comfortable chairs in front of the fire with a cup of hot chocolate, or iced tea next to an open window depending on the weather.

Now that our DSs are teens and closing in on the end of high school, we are receiving the fruit of all that hard work and training of young ones -- wonderful conversations, hearing their hearts and dreams, encouraging them in their endeavors, getting to walk alongside in relationship with these wonderful young adults, watching them take flight and seeing through their eyes experiences we never dreamed of or will never be able to experience for ourselves...

Specific things we do together: I have never laughed so much as with our teenaged DSs -- they really are so smart and so quick-witted; we enjoy watching sci-fi shows together; we still read aloud together or have a game night (although, we're all so busy it's only once a week or so); DSs are learning some ballroom dancing from a teen friend, and every so often they have a ballroom dance night, and we have a great time dancing together; we still go camping or take an occasional trip together; older DS has gotten into film production (my old field) and we've been able to do a few projects together...

Homeschooling is far more interesting -- I don't have to sit over them for every single thing; they are more self-motivated; we are able to go over some really fascinating and complex science material, literature, and history. And again, the conversations because they are older and have developed the critical thinking and analyzing skills are just amazing.

Enjoy each age and stage as you experience it! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

discussions. sharing books. Watching them struggle with big and profound issues. Remember the first time you read Socrates? Wasn't he brillant? My ds and I had terrific discussion about philosophy, literature, history. It helped to counter the effects of the growing pains we encountered.

Even now when he's in college, we still have terrific discussions. When he gets a topic for a research paper or presentation, we go over it together to help get him started refining his topic. He shares his reading list with me so that I can read the same books so we can continue our book discussions.

And since you have youngers, some of my favorite memories are of watching my highschool ds, explain what he was studying to his little sisters. He is also my dd10's official math teacher. If she has trouble, he explains it to her, and when he's home he teaches math fulltime.

Every stage of maturing and growing, of my kids, and I think "this is the stage/age I like best". Then, it gets better. Somebody must have planned it this way.

LBS

PS I remember so fondly the "nursing musing" time. Then I remember nursing and feeding toddler at mall,all tucked away in a private corner, and the toddler ran for something and when she ran, me sprinting across the crowded mall after her, pretty sure all lady parts were tucked in, but not positive, and, well, treasure those memories too.

Maybe I am too achievement oriented, but it's so fun to see them get better and better at something they work hard to achieve.

It's really fun to see them mastering Algebra (or, well, just learning it well. Maybe "master" is a strong word). It's fun to see them pick up big books, read them, and get excited about the ideas. It's so fun to see my children play a piece of music on their violins that represents years of work, study, practice. I love to see my swimmer doing the "fly." He's not winning any big races, but just seeing the confidence and competence is a thrill. His twin has a beautiful, beautiful serve, and it is a pleasure to see. It's great when you child writes a story or a thoughtful essay. I guess what I am saying is that it's fun to see children who have become good at something (whether academic, athletic, musical, etc) through real effort and hard work. Yes, it was also hard to learn to walk, and it was a thrill to see first steps. But I am particularly proud of the things my boys can do that took persistence through the years.

It's fun to share jokes and a developing sense of humor. I love that as my boys get older, they can watch more movies that also interest me. It's lovely when they make me laugh - not because they are cute little boys but because they are hilarious teenagers.

I think you have a ton to look forward to.

I think you have a ton to look forward to.

It sounds like you're right. Many of the things everyone has listed I'm beginning to see. They are and have been wonderful helps during 2 difficult pregnancies. :001_smile: It sounds like being able to sit down and really discuss life, books, academics is an aspect of high school that I don't want to miss. Hmm, an informal book club with the kids... just plain old gab time during the babies nap with tea and cookies... the possibilities are endless. :D

Thanks to all who responded!