Menu

Are we doing enough? (Posted on the general forum earlier - sorry)

maddykate

I have always taken a laid-back approach to our homeschool. I have felt that children are able to be children for such a short period of time and I didn't want to force a load of academics too early. Now, though, that my oldest is in sixth grade, I am starting to feel the pressure of not doing enough. I would like to give you a run-down of what we do and you tell me if we are doing enough, please.

Math - (daily) Christian Light Education on grade level &

(sporadically)Teaching Textbooks 7th grade

Language Arts - (daily)Christian Light Education on grade level

Wordly Wise - (daily) grade level

Science - (daily) grade level

Writing - Write At Home Composition course online - she is doing very well with this and has completely taken the initiative to print off/read her assignments, write the papers with no assistance from me, and upload them to her writing coach. I feel like she is learning so much more from this course than just writing; she is learning computer skills, typing, accountability, etc.

History - real books, more interest led than any kind of curriculum....

No formal foreign language, though we do live in a foreign country and we are able to observe/participate in the culture on a daily basis.

Of course, throughout the day, we discuss any topics that come up, which leads to many, many interesting and pertinent discussions.

I am just feeling inadequate and worried that I am not covering all my bases -

Any and all advice welcome.

TIA

Maddykate

ETA: She is dyslexic, so she struggles with reading. However, she has recently gotten really excited about a Lori Wick series and has truly become engaged with reading and has a passion for it that she has never had before. It has been so wonderful to watch this spark turn into a flame, all without having pressured her and browbeat her into doing it.

Edited by maddykate
Edited to add more information

I understand what you are saying... I debated whether to really invest the time and energy toward learning Korean when we really will never have another opportunity to use it again once we leave here. We have learned the basic conversation bits - thank you, hello, etc - but have not spent much effort in truly learning the language. It was a deliberate decision, but I do agree with you.

I think interest-led history at this point is fine. Once she starts the formal history they keep repeating over and over. When I started homeschooling my fourth grader this fall, he was so SICK of doing "the colonies" that he begged for 'anything but THAT again.' So we're doing Ancient China, India and Japan.

I might consider adding a formal geography program for your dd, though. That is interesting and fun, and has certain skills you will want her to learn at some point.

Otherwise you look fine to me.

Dyslexics typically struggle with foreign languages, so I wouldn't browbeat yourself over that. I like your schedule, because it is leaving her room to pursue her interests. I would make sure she gets out with people to learn the language naturally, which will probably be her best route (much better than a textbook for a dyslexic). And I would make sure you're providing her with plenty of books to nurture the reading. Is her spelling fine? Is she writing a bit across the curriculum? WTM gives you some guidelines on amounts of writing. It doesn't have to be overmuch, but basically you want to be writing something each day. So she might have her writing course composition 1-2 days a week, a book report one day a week, and 1-2 short compositions (paragraphs) for history or science.

The interesting thing about dyslexics is their strengths come out in other, not so schooly ways. My dd is very good with art, color, decorating, that kind of thing, so we make room in our day for origami, sculpting, sewing, etc. They're just as important, because they're nurturing her strengths. Sometimes school for these kids can turn into a perpetual battle against their weaknesses. You want to flip it and make time to work on their strengths. :)

There may be opportunities for supplemental Korean classes wherever you live next (I assume you're military?) and so it very well may be something she can continue with. I imagine speaking Korean could be a huge asset if she goes into business or interpreting!

Your schedule looks totally fine to me. CLE is generally advanced, so you should feel really good there. Daily science is more than most kids get. I agree with OhElizabeth that you may want to ensure she is doing a bit of summarizing or notebooking for her history and/or science. That will help her with retention and also build writing skills (in terms of learning organization).