Menu

Keeping ducks?

In a couple weeks I will be going to the feed store to pick up a few chicks to replenish our chickens.

However, I adore ducks. Last year when I was picking up my chicks, it was very difficult to not grab a couple ducklings too. This year, I want to add ducks to our homestead.

I have a large plastic children's pool that the previous owners left here- they kept ducks. They also built an area for ducks on the side of the barn...I would just need to finish it off, so they can live there.

What do I need to know? I plan on letting them free range like my chickens, and keeping their wings clipped.

Also, can I keep the ducklings with the chicks in the brooder?

I used to keep ducks and geese (and peafowl and chickens and guineas). I like ducks and LOVE geese, but dh has put his foot down, and said no more geese or ducks. They poop a lot, and seem to like to follow their people around, unlike chickens. Our patio and sidewalks were just covered unless we kept them up all the time, and since they needed their pond and pasture it didn't work for us to keep them confined.

Ducks are very messy, dirty their water, poop everywhere. I still like them but it's something to think about.

My chickens do that too! :)

They like to stand on the deck and look through the windows. Every evening in warm weather i hose off the deck (it surrounds the house) Im thinking of just getting 2 ducks, I love geese too but I figured ducks would have a little smaller poo.

On a side note...

One day I was cleaning my car out...every nook and cranny. It was spotless, I left the doors open to air out the cleaner I used on the seats and I went inside for a few minutes. When I came back out to the car, I noticed the chickens were congregating, and when I looked inside, someone had jumped in and pooped on the floor. :glare:

Another day my rooster decided to stand on the hood of my Durango and crow his little heart out. I was NOT happy with him.

I love ducks too! We have 8 chickens and have had 2-3 ducks in the past. Wild animals kept eating the ducks, and I couldn't bear it anymore. Ducks have so much personality! I loved watching them swim in their baby pool. Just make sure they have a safe night time enclosure, but it sounds like you have that covered.

I used to keep ducks and geese (and peafowl and chickens and guineas). I like ducks and LOVE geese, but dh has put his foot down, and said no more geese or ducks. They poop a lot, and seem to like to follow their people around, unlike chickens. Our patio and sidewalks were just covered unless we kept them up all the time, and since they needed their pond and pasture it didn't work for us to keep them confined.

Ducks are very messy, dirty their water, poop everywhere. I still like them but it's something to think about.

And my little kids and dogs loved playing in their "duck pond," ewwwwwww!!!!!

My mom has them at her farm.

Geese can be mean and frightening too. My kids are always scared of them.

Now, I have seen everything.

There is a whole thread on the Duck section at BYC about indoor ducks! They diaper them and everything.

I think my dh would have a heartattack. He is all city boy.

One day after a raccoon killed one of our chickens I asked him for his help to clean up the mess. He stood there holding the bucket I was putting her remains in and saying "eeewww....ewwww.." I laughed at him and said "Fine farmer YOU are!" He gave me a wide eyed look, looked at the dead chicken, handed me the bucket and said "Im not the farmer, never said I was YOU are the farmer!!" and then he ran away. :001_huh:

:iagree:

Our ducks are gone for this reason.