Menu

History for Visual Spatial Learner

1shortmomto4

I'm having a hard time finding a fit for my visual-spatial learner - he needs that whole view first and then break it down into small parts style. When I do searched SL keeps coming up (ds is entering 3rd) but not entirely sure that is a good fit. We tried SL Science 1 last year and that was not great but we did make it half the year. He does like some hands-on craft or cooking project but not an overload and with SL you don't get that in the IG. I've got 2 high schoolers and an upcoming 6th grader with dyslexic/dysgraphic issues so my time is stretched between them all (they all have some type of learning issue so I have to come alongside my high schoolers at times throughout the day to be sure things are getting done, understood, etc.) Well, this year we are using Saxon Math 2 along with the online Destination math which has been great. I don't subscribe to drilling so I don't necessarily use Saxon as entirely written but he loves it, is retaining, and I'm having to skip lessons to keep up with him. We also use LLATL Red to finish up his phonics although he seems to be a more natural reader and just "knows" how to read the words. We're almost finished with the SL Readers 2 and will begin 2 Int. - just slowing him down to work on some strength in fluency and reading for longer periods so we're reading all of the Amelia Bedelia books because he is really enjoying him (I think that's the visual/spatial coming out in the form of humor that they so enjoy). We tried HOD's Beyond but it was not keeping his attention (and I don't want to do Bigger all over again next year but I suppose I could but still not convinced he's a HODdie type learner). I read SOTW Book 2 to him and his quote "that was the most boring book I've ever heard" so forget that! I just pick a read-aloud from SL Core K (almost finished with all of those) but calling it a day. He does a science co-op but not totally engaged there but I think that is more a result of the chaos of the class of K through 2nd graders and hard to focus. Just not sure what direction to look at this coming year for him. I've been considering either the combo Core 1 & 2 or MFW Adventures or ????

Any suggestions?

I had to laugh at the SOTW comment. I have just been realizing my ds (2nd grade) is visual spatial. I said to him a couple of weeks ago. "Let's go back to reading SOTW." His comment was "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" groan, moan, etc. I have just been using Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and adding in occasional picture books or chapter books. We also do mapwork and a timeline book, which he loves.

For 3rd grade, we read A child's history of the world and we made ancient Egypt, Greek, and Rome lapbooks. I think it took some training to sit and listen. He has to sit right next to me to follow along in the book. We're actually using SOTW2 right now so I don't have any other suggestions. We still continue to work on lapbooks from topics of his choosing. We've made one on knights, the black plague, and now are working on a vikings lapbook this year. My ds also loves the UILE.

We used SOTW with the activity guide last year and it was a hit. I have no doubt if I had just read the book without the activities, my daughter would have been bored out of her mind. It's not exactly a book anyone would pick up and read for pleasure. The activities and additional books are what really make the program work for a V/S learner.