Menu

Gluten Free/Rice flour/Do you grind your own?

We are starting to use some rice flour mixed with nut flour and having good success. I have a mill that was used for milling wheat berries and have been thinking of milling my own rice flour. My question is how do I get the mill cleaned out of any trace of wheat? Is this possible or do I simply need to give the idea up and look at purchasing a new mill in the future.

The one thing I don't want is to have gluten contaminated rice flour and end up with a little boy that is out of control.:001_huh:

Has anyone successfully cleaned a gluten contaminated mill and been able to use it for gluten free milling?

Any suggestions would be welcome.:001_smile:

No sure answer here, but I rather doubt it is possible to get the mill entirely cleaned out. I've considered doing the same thing with my Magic Mill, but that wheat flour gets ground SO fine that I really don't think I can clean it out. I do have a new hand mill I could use if I needed to.

For now, I just buy rice flour already ground. (My son and I have celiac, and gluten makes my boy spazz out, too!)

No sure answer here, but I rather doubt it is possible to get the mill entirely cleaned out. I've considered doing the same thing with my Magic Mill, but that wheat flour gets ground SO fine that I really don't think I can clean it out. I do have a new hand mill I could use if I needed to.

For now, I just buy rice flour already ground. (My son and I have celiac, and gluten makes my boy spazz out, too!)

This was what I was afraid of also. Guess I will just have to start saving for a new mill. My oldest dd is using my other mill so guess she has just inherited it.:001_smile:

Thanks for sharing.