Menu

Do you own an e-reader or a tablet?

Sun

Do you own an e-reader and/or a tablet (iPad or other)? Multiple choice allowed.  

1. 1. Do you own an e-reader and/or a tablet (iPad or other)? Multiple choice allowed.

• We own a Kindle.
    • We own a Nook.
    • We own a Nook Color.
    • We own another e-reader.
    • We own more than one dedicated e-reader.
    • We own an iPad.
    • We own another type of tablet computer (droid OS, etc.) (does not include phones)
    • We don't own a dedicated e-reader, but we are planning to buy one.
    • We don't own a tablet computer, but we're planning to buy one.
    • We don't own any e-readers or tablet computers, and we're not buying any for now.

I didn't really care to have one until I saw that I can buy all of Yesterday's Classics books on ePub version for $150 (on sale this week for $99!!!!). That was the deciding factor since I have about 6 of those books in my cart to buy. For the price of less than 10 printed books I can have all 225 ebooks. :w00t:

I haven't decided which ereader we're going to buy but we'll be buying one before the end of the week!! I'm so excited! Dh was going to surprise me with the 6" Sony eReader for Valentine's day but they didn't have the color I wanted in stock.

I'm not entirely sure if the Sony is the one I want so we may get a less expensive one for dd first and then get me one in the future. I'm still holding out for something really fantastic to be released. I'd love a color Sony with e-ink technology. :tongue_smilie:

My DH is an electronics junkie. He is one of those people who lines up at 4:30 a.m. to get the latest iPhone each year. Last year that made him third in line (after they made him wait half an hour before they'd even let him into the mall). He lined up for the Wii. I bought him a Kindle a couple of years ago, and now he's bequeathed that to me in the grand hopes that I'll let him buy the iPad 2 when it comes out later this spring. I don't have a prayer of not having these things. It's his weakness.

My husband owns an iPad, which is not used primarily or even frequently to read books. Actually, I'm not sure just what he does use it for, and I've never touched the thing.

So, there is one in my house, but not used for the purpose you asked about, and not used at all by me.

I do have an love an iPod Touch, on which I have installed an app that lets me download and read public domain books. I rarely use it, though, having found I didn't much like the interface. And it wasn't the purpose for which I obtained the device.

We have 4 Sony Readers, a Kindle DX, and an iPad. We use all of them everyday, but that's because our library is almost entirely digital. We have to have a variety of devices because there isn't one thing that does everything well. And you need lots of ereaders in the house when you have lots of people reading. Sony readers are my favorite dedicated ereader.

I had to carry a tablet for work back when I was in corporate america. LAME. I hated it and still hate not having a full-size keyboard on my phone. My parents have an i-pad and it's "ok"--but again. I hate not having a keyboard. I just have too much to type about to be trying to touch type! I do want a netbook, or a satellite/mini laptop though. :)

I'm really interested to know what features you like about your readers. I'm a paper book lover, and don't have an e reader yet, but I would really like to be able to carry a library with me when I travel. I thought I'd live the ipad, but as soon as I picked it up I knew it was too heavy... The I thought Kindle! But you're tied to Amazon. Someone told be that Sony was nice, physically... Aaargh! I'd like to be able to read as many formats as possible.

I'm really interested to know what features you like about your readers. I'm a paper book lover, and don't have an e reader yet, but I would really like to be able to carry a library with me when I travel. I thought I'd live the ipad, but as soon as I picked it up I knew it was too heavy... The I thought Kindle! But you're tied to Amazon. Someone told be that Sony was nice, physically... Aaargh! I'd like to be able to read as many formats as possible.

We switched to ereaders because our family loves to read, but we move a lot. We love being able to easily take hundreds of books with us when we move or travel.

We don't use the iPad as a dedicated ereader since we love eInk, although we do use it for homeschooling books that need to be in color. I like our Kindle because Amazon has the best selection of books available for purchase (and you can buy books from other places; you're not tied to Amazon exclusively). But I love our Sony Readers because I think they're the easiest to use and we can read library books on them. All ereaders allow many formats; really the only limitation is that Kindle doesn't allow you to read library books easily.

Honestly though, I don't think there is one perfect reader out there and we found that we need a variety to display all sorts of books. It really just depends on your specific needs.

we have one Kindle right now, but are just about to purchase our second now that my boys have discovered mine.

For us, though, it is truly a matter of availability. We live in Brazil. English-language books are not readily available, or if they are available, they are over-priced. In order to have access to books, we bought a Kindle, DH downloaded the Kindle app for his iPod Touch, and we are buying a 2nd Kindle this month (I'll get the new one, the boys will get the old one to share).

It's a portable library, the only way we could have as many books as we do, and a vital part of life as ex-pats.

I LOVE my kindle, but not sure if I'd have bought one if we still lived in the US. At least this way I can justify it to myself, LOL!

I have a nook and love being able to grab it and go. I also love that the classics are free or really cheap.

I am seriouslly considering an iPad soon. I think I am going to wait for the next generation one to come out (if I can hold out that long). You can download the B&N and Kindle app and have the best of both worlds. My 13yo dd has an iphone and she has just about talked me into it!

I own a Kindle, we purchased two Literati readers from Bed, Bath and Beyond last week, and my dh uses the kindle app on his iPod Touch. We have a total of 5 iPod Touch devices in our house, but I think the screen is too small.

Editing to add I love the Kindle . . . it is thin and lite and easy to use. On their website they list several websites where you can download free books. Only drawback is you can't checkout library ebooks, but our library does not offer that service at this time.

Adrianne in IL

Edited by jelbe5

I use my iPhone as an eReader. My kids use my old iPhone as a touch. My preferred eReader software is Stanza, but I also have Kindle reader and I think one other reader. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having a book with me everywhere I go. If I'm at the dr.'s office I pull it out and start reading. If I'm in bed and can't sleep, I can read with no other light. I thought I would hate reading on the little screen and I don't. I can actually see it much better than the average book page.

We are planning to get an iPad when they announce the new ones in a few weeks. While I think it would be nice to read on the larger screen, it would lose the convenience factor of always having it with me.

I own both an iPad and a Sony Reader. If I had to choose between them, I'd keep the Sony.

Someone told be that Sony was nice, physically... Aaargh! I'd like to be able to read as many formats as possible.
It is wonderful. The build quality is (in my opinion) noticeably sturdier than competitor products, and I absolutely love the touch screen. You can buy books from several sites for Sony Readers: Sony's store, Kobo, Google eBookstore, and others. If desperate, there is free conversion software that can convert most proprietary formats to something that the Sony can read. However, legality is questionable since DRM must be stripped.

I've been reading continuously since I bought my Sony in mid-December, and I've yet to buy any ebooks. Between the library's Overdrive subscription and Project Gutenberg (tho' I actually download PG books at manybooks.net), I can't imagine ever running out of free reading material.

I checked the last option. I am gathering info on the e-readers and the iPad, but not really planning yet to buy either. I have a laptop, that is it. The whole family shares it. We are thinking about adding more technology, my kids do their math and foreign language online, and they get 15 minutes to do games per day, if they are done with school by 3pm and had good attitudes. So, thinking it might be good for them to have their own device. Then there is the whole e-reader, that fits into my Zen-ing efforts to clear out things.