Menu

So, MFW & PR or TOG & PR....

krwsmum

After reading some posts, I finally checked into TOG-LOVED it! Got so excited, because with a 1st & 2nd grader and a 2y/o, this sounded PERFECT! Then, of course, today I see all this talk of MFW-now I am totally confused!

So to clarify I need either TOG and PR (or some other LA program-just sounds like a lot of ppl like PR) or MFW and PR-is that right?? TOG and MFW do not have LA included-or if they do it is minimal-right?

And PR has spelling included, so I wouldn't need Spelling Power??

OK, one thing at a time. Are you unhappy with your current language arts? I know a lot of people like PR but trust me, there is pretty unanimous agreement around here that you should not fix what isn't broken. These forums can be dangerous.:D

TOG only includes writing. I believe MFW covers all LA but like anything, their recommendations won't work for everyone.

Step back and think about what your family wants in a history program. MFW and TOG are quite different IMO. If you know what you are looking for than the decision will become easier.

PR is.... ???

MFW does have LA included, but they use Charlotte Mason methods integrated into the lesson plans, and then have some CM-style language arts recommended in addition to that. Like CM, they introduce "formal" grammar (that is, the names of the parts of speech) at about 6th grade, or as is included in ILL (Intermediate Language Lessons). I wouldn't call it "minimal"... although I guess it is compared to the textbook method. But I'd call it "efficient". :D

Marie gives instruction for how to use their recommendations at the beginning of each TM. However, she's then left those spaces blank on the weekly grid so that you can fill in specific assignments for each child and individualize for each student's working level. This also allows you the freedom to use something different in the 3 R's if you choose.

So yes, I think you can use PR (whatever that is :lol: ) in place of MFW's recommendations for language arts.

OK, one thing at a time. Are you unhappy with your current language arts? I know a lot of people like PR but trust me, there is pretty unanimous agreement around here that you should not fix what isn't broken. These forums can be dangerous.:D

TOG only includes writing. I believe MFW covers all LA but like anything, their recommendations won't work for everyone.

Step back and think about what your family wants in a history program. MFW and TOG are quite different IMO. If you know what you are looking for than the decision will become easier.

:iagree:

PR is a complete LA program (including spelling). Have you checked it out, other than reading about it here? Are you comfortable with the dvd layout? Did you look over the scope and sequence?

MFW depends on how old your kids are. For K and 1st, mfw has a lot of phonics/reading, along with history, bible, and science. If you do PR, mfw is going to have some redundancies. You need to decide if the program is worth it if such a large portion would be unusable. MFW adventures (2nd grade) and above has recommended LA resources, but not mandatory. It includes some notebooking, but that's the extent of the LA overlap. Of course, if you are starting with a 2nd grader, I need to jump back up pr. Do you do know that you have to start at the beginning of PR, in level 1?

I have not used TOG, but I think it is just a history program, with some writing scheduled in.

hth,

Well our issue is that dd6 (1st grade) has already completed all the LA curriculum I had for her this year which was Abeka Letters & Sounds 1 and Abeka Language 1. She is still reading the readers, but they are just time fillers-she read the entire Kind and Brave today. I still have about 10 spelling lists left for her, but otherwise, I am just using her leftover Summer Bridge 1-2 book to give her "stuff" to do. DD7 (2nd) is most of the way through BJU English 2, which I barely have to teach-she is very strong in english and reads constantly. She has completed her Abeka Letters & Sounds 2, and has about 10 spelling lists left as well.

I am just trying to figure out what to do next. I have considered getting DD6 the BJU English 2 workbook, but we are so SICK of workbooks! We are running out of curriculum, we maybe have 30 lessons left of our BJU Maths (both 1 & 2)...that is the reason I am trying to figure all this out.

We do very little Science/History/Geo, because we find the curriculum we have is dry. IMO.

My .02 (and that is really all it is worth:)) is that you may not be thrilled with PR. It is ONLY spelling for the first year. Your kids are already natural spellers (I scanned your posts) and do not need the explicit spelling instruction from what I gather. I am in the same spot and seriously considered using PR and just skipping the spelling. I am too busy to justify spending that much time on something my kids have already mastered. But for me, PR was too expensive to go that route. Sorry, I know this is not what you asked but you did ask if PR had spelling so I wanted to give you a heads up.

My .02 (and that is really all it is worth:)) is that you may not be thrilled with PR. It is ONLY spelling for the first year. Your kids are already natural spellers (I scanned your posts) and do not need the explicit spelling instruction from what I gather. I am in the same spot and seriously considered using PR and just skipping the spelling. I am too busy to justify spending that much time on something my kids have already mastered. But for me, PR was too expensive to go that route. Sorry, I know this is not what you asked but you did ask if PR had spelling so I wanted to give you a heads up.

thanks Tracy-this is exactly the kind of advice I need! :)

Just trying to find what we should do next, and would really like to find something that is not all workbook-y. I guess I will take another look at WWE and FLL...ugh! It sure would be easier to just send them to school!! LOL ;)

Well our issue is that dd6 (1st grade) has already completed all the LA curriculum I had for her this year which was Abeka Letters & Sounds 1 and Abeka Language 1. She is still reading the readers, but they are just time fillers-she read the entire Kind and Brave today. I still have about 10 spelling lists left for her, but otherwise, I am just using her leftover Summer Bridge 1-2 book to give her "stuff" to do.

At this age, I wouldn't buy PR just to give her something to "do". Seriously. If she's already reading, just let her read! And keep doing what you're doing. :001_smile:

DD7 (2nd) is most of the way through BJU English 2, which I barely have to teach-she is very strong in english and reads constantly. She has completed her Abeka Letters & Sounds 2, and has about 10 spelling lists left as well.

Ditto. Just keep doing what you're doing until it's finished and read a lot of great books. Let her practice narration CM style. Do copywork. Stay on track in math going. Focus on Bible and character training.

I have a friend IRL whose 6yod has already finished MFW 1st and she's reading well. But my friend didn't want to go ahead and start the next level of MFW yet (which is Adventures) because she wants to focus on character training for a while and let her dd practice reading and become more fluent. She doesn't want to keep moving her forward so fast that she's in high school by age 10. LOL. (An exaggeration, but you kwim... and those were her words. ;) ) So here's what my friend is doing until the fall or maybe summer:

- Pathway Readers

- Copywork

- Making up little "mini" unit studies and hands-on activities as she goes

- Books, books, and more books

- History for Little Pilgrims (not a lot to it, but it's a nice age-appropriate overview, esp if you use the coloring book that goes with it)

- Character training using an inexpensive curriculum, but I don't know which one she ended up with, as she was looking at 3 or 4 different ones

- Saxon Math 2

I don't think she's started a spelling program yet? I don't remember. I think she's primarily doing it by copywork at this point.

thanks Tracy-this is exactly the kind of advice I need! :)

Just trying to find what we should do next, and would really like to find something that is not all workbook-y. I guess I will take another look at WWE and FLL...ugh! It sure would be easier to just send them to school!! LOL ;)

I hear ya! I posted on another thread that finding a grammar program was keeping me up at night and I was not joking.:tongue_smilie:MCT is on its way. I am hoping this will be what we are looking for. I know a lot of people who have been unhappy with the status quo in LA programs sing its praises but....we'll see.

I know a lot of people like PR but trust me, there is pretty unanimous agreement around here that you should not fix what isn't broken. These forums can be dangerous.:D

I agree. We are already using AAS and I have purchased WWE and FLL for next year, so I will not allow myself to get sucked in to the PR madness, lol! :D

As for TOG vs. MFW......there are a TON of threads that compare these two if you have the time to do some research. Do you want something that's COMPLETELY open and go and scheduled out for you? I THOUGHT that's what I wanted, but after trying several boxed curriculum, I realized I would much prefer to be eclectic (pick my own curriculum for each subject) and create a schedule that works best for us. TOG has books scheduled by WEEK, but it's up to you to decide when you want to read them. There are also optional fine arts/crafts that you can do or skip each week, as well as geography mapwork, etc. It's not JUST a history program.

Actually, PR1 is phonics, reading instruction, spelling, little bit of grammar, dictation, and light reading comprehension.

I'd still agree with everyone, though. Sounds like you have no need to move into PR. You're past it and doing well where you are. Unless you have any worries about gaps, I'd stick with what you have.

I also agree that MFW and TOG are apples and oranges.