Menu

The King's Speech

My husband and I saw this movie over the weekend. Loved it! I remember seeing it discussed on the general board, so I checked that thread before we went to see what similar minded homeschooling mothers thought of the movie. Have any of you seen it and if so, what did you think?

I found it really uplifting and encouraging! It's based on the true life story of an English Duke with a speech impediment who has to do lots of public speaking and who eventually becomes king. I enjoyed watching the relationships between the Duke, his wife and the speech therapist. There was swearing and that type of thing usually offends me, but somehow it didn't here--maybe because of the context in which it was used in the movie or maybe because I was prepared for it from the hive's review. As we chat all the time about our children's special needs, (including many language based needs) I thought this movie worthy of a thread discussion on this special needs board.

I've been thinking about this movie, but I was kind of uncertain, given the rating. The review I read said something about a flurry of profanity in one spot. Was that the case? Oh, I see you mentioned profanity. Well was it really bad in one spot we could fast forward through when it comes out on dvd?

It's definitely fascinating to watch movies like that. I watched one last month, don't even remember the title now (somebody's Opus?) but the main character had a deaf son who couldn't speak. It was fascinating to watch my ds identify with the boy's struggles with communication. They see it on a whole other level from us.

I've been thinking about this movie, but I was kind of uncertain, given the rating. The review I read said something about a flurry of profanity in one spot. Was that the case? Oh, I see you mentioned profanity. Well was it really bad in one spot we could fast forward through when it comes out on dvd?

It's definitely fascinating to watch movies like that. I watched one last month, don't even remember the title now (somebody's Opus?) but the main character had a deaf son who couldn't speak. It was fascinating to watch my ds identify with the boy's struggles with communication. They see it on a whole other level from us.

You'd probably be able to skip that scene on a dvd version when it comes out. There's a little swearing in another place, but not as much as in that one therapy session. The context of the swearing is the duke stutters when he speaks, but somehow he doesn't stutter at one point when he gets angry and swears. The therapist uses that to help the words get his words out, by throwing swear words around in therapy. Some of the words are British swear words that don't really stick out in my mind as swear words, but they use some of the "biggies" that normally offend me.

Tying this into my real life experience, my BIL, who has learning disabilities, sometimes stutters. Not always but sometimes. My MIL says she wanted BIL to go to this movie with her, but he didn't want to see it. BIL also has a temper and will swear when he's angry. I have never noticed him to stutter when he's swearing. His swearing offends me, so maybe I'm just blocking out some of what he says. I might have to ask other family members if they've noticed this or not. Now I'm curious after watching that movie if that is a common trend or not? Anyone else ever notice anything like that?

I've read some apraxic children go through a stuttering stage as they learn to speak. I don't know if my ds will or not. It is true though, when he is angry he can get out all kinds of stuff he wouldn't normally. He'll actually get out full sentences! This is only astonishing when you know that you barely get a "yeah" out of him in everyday speech. First time we heard an irate "I WANT THAT!!!!" we were flabbergasted. We call it his irate speech.

LOVED this movie.

Thanks, well we'll definitely keep this in mind. :) Oh, is this movie something better seen on the big screen or just as good on dvd later?

Are you coming to Cincy next month? I'm planning on it, even though I'm not as psyched as previous years. You'd think I would be, but instead I just feel more worn. I guess it's the long winter and too many drives to Cincinnati. One more just doesn't sound fun. I need a PLANE. :)

Mr. Holland's Opus :)

I loved that movie.

I think what I loved most was the relationship between the tutor and the king. It was built of honesty, deep listening, caring and respect; all the things I believe are necessary for learning.

I think it is wonderful on the big screen because it makes it a special event out, but it would also be wonderful to watch anywhere. I also wouldn't have a problem with my kids seeing it.

He did an incredible job portraying the King... I found it really uplifting too, and want to show it to my kids... just really, really want to bleep out the swears.

As a child, and sometime adult stutterer myself, I could deeply relate to his feelings.. The therapists informal kindly really supportive approach were spot on. I had an incident in my early childhood similar to the king's (traumatic, though not as bad), and I'm wondering why some early childhood trauma is linked with stuttering and others not...I have heard it said that some stuttering is organic (kid is just born that way), but I don't know enough about it to comment..

Anyway five stars despite the swears... We all need movies about people who somehow are able to rise above their handicaps.. with help.

I just saw this movie this week. There is another one or two places (close together near the end) where the swearing is built-into the scene & would be hard to go past without missing the idea of the scene, IMO. The big scene with swearing could be skipped fairly easily. I thought of showing this as an intro to WW I, but probably won't because of the language.

The Wiki article on the film notes the historical accuracy & inaccuracies as well as mentions "artistic license" with some aspects. I think the childhood trauma mentioned might have been artistic license vs. reality.

I found the aspect of him not getting anywhere with the "experts" but being very successful with someone who didn't have all the degrees/schooling (except for the school of hard knocks) very interesting. It was heart-warming and well worth seeing, if only later on DVD.

I just saw this movie this week. There is another one or two places (close together near the end) where the swearing is built-into the scene & would be hard to go past without missing the idea of the scene, IMO. The big scene with swearing could be skipped fairly easily. I thought of showing this as an intro to WW I, but probably won't because of the language.

The Wiki article on the film notes the historical accuracy & inaccuracies as well as mentions "artistic license" with some aspects. I think the childhood trauma mentioned might have been artistic license vs. reality.

I found the aspect of him not getting anywhere with the "experts" but being very successful with someone who didn't have all the degrees/schooling (except for the school of hard knocks) very interesting. It was heart-warming and well worth seeing, if only later on DVD.

Thanks for sharing. I looked up that Wiki article to find the historical accuracy vs. inaccuarcies.