Menu

American History

Mom2J112903

What are your favorite curricula's for American History? Right now we are just learning about famous American's but next year I want to do more.

I do not want something VERY religious based, a little bit here and there is fine however.

I want J to learn about each state, but thinking I could do that in Geography.

Thank you!!!!

My kids HATE, HATE, HATE Abeka!!! I have to say that I think it is one of the most boring History courses I have ever seen. Now, if you wanted to use it as a jumping off point and add in some living books for the topics that might not be to bad. However, it is a standard textbook that will only give small pieces of info on each topic. It is very Christian based and did I mention BORING!!! Ok, that is just our opinion! Do you have a library near by? Just go through the history section and pick out different living books. You will be amazed how much your kids will learn. We started this because we couldn't afford any of the put together programs and it has turned out great! I do look over and pick and chose from Guest Hollow for topics and even Abeka for the order of things but that is it! We are just starting a Prairie Primer and it looks to be great also. My girls love The Little House on the Prairie so it is a perfect fit for them.

Have you seen "The complete book of US history"? I got it for about $6 at Costco, and am planning to use it with books from the library, mostly following Sonlight's 3+4 booklist.

This book is what I've used with my 2nd grade son this year, along with lots of library books. I also have DK's Children's Encylopedia of American history, and Scholastic's 3D Interactive Maps of American history. I looked at Guest Hollow, but I wanted to study it all in one year, so I've made my own plans. I send out emails to a group of people from this board. They contain page numbers for several spines and resource lists of library books, websites, etc. I could send you the information if you want it. Just pm me your email address and I can send it as well as adding you to the group for future emails.

www.guesthollow.com It is a free American History curriculum written for about the 2nd/3rd grader but easily tweaked up or down.

I agree. This is what I used with my boys after researching many different programs. She gives a list of materials that she used and many alternate suggestions as well. There are very few items that are required, or consumable. I used the library for the readers and found almost everything she listed, and was easily able to replace the items I couldn't find with something else.

I liked that the learning schedule was all there for me but I could easily tweak it. For example we live close to Jamestown and Williamsburg, so I expanded the Jamestown Colony and Colonial Williamsburg areas to fit field trips and a more in depth look. If I lived close to another historical area I would have expanded that instead. We are about done with the unit and I am very pleased.

Have you seen "The complete book of US history"? I got it for about $6 at Costco, and am planning to use it with books from the library, mostly following Sonlight's 3+4 booklist.

:iagree: I haven't found an Am. History curriculum I like, so I'm putting my own together. This is the "core" book I'm using for next year. I have girls, so we're also meshing in the American Girl books (loosely following a unit study), Draw Write Now book 5, biographies, & liberally sprinkling with Sonlight Core 3 & 4 read alouds & readers.

I just found Children's Encyclopedia of American History in my garage today! (A super nice homeschooling lady gave me bunches of books for free last year.) The Complete Book of U.S. History looks like a nice workbook type. I'll have to check that out. We'll be starting American History this year. My daughter is currently, at this moment, BEGGING to learn more about the states.

I'll also try to be collecting living books - I've got a bunch coming tomorrow, including Betsy Maestro, If You series and have a couple You Wouldn't Want To Be.

I put together my own US history program. My main book is This Country of Ours, and I think parts of SOTW4 and/or A Child's Story of America will work for the 1900s-onward. Then I add in supplemental books of all types, both picture books and chapter books -- the "If You Lived" series, Dear America series and its relatives, Childhood of Famous Americans, the state alphabet books from Sleeping Bear Press, a series about food and recipes at different stages, Mike Venezia's President books, American Girl books, Dover coloring books about Presidents/First Ladies/American architecture, the American Kids in History series, etc., etc.

GuestHollow had a lot of great ideas for supplemental books as well.