Menu

chair for young elementary kids?

MeganW

I do NOT have a room that I can turn into a designated schoolroom, so I am going to have to use the kitchen table. My kids are currently in boosters, which work fine for meals, but their feet are dangling. After reading the other thread, I feel like I need to replace their chairs so that they aren't learning terrible posture during writing. (They already all have horrid posture due to lack of core strength as it is - I do not want to make it worse!)

My kids are almost 6 years old, but small for their age. 44" tall, about 35 pounds, and wearing size 5 or 6 clothing.

The Stokke Tripp Trapp chair says it is for 6 to 36 months. Is there an equivalent for kids who are too big for highchairs, but not ready for regular kitchen chairs? Something that would last for a number of years, until they are ready for regular chairs?

The Stokke Tripp Trapp chair says it is for 6 to 36 months. Is there an equivalent for kids who are too big for highchairs, but not ready for regular kitchen chairs? Something that would last for a number of years, until they are ready for regular chairs?

You keep moving the seat/foot stool shelves, until they are too big for the bottom shelf and you just use the seat. Calvin is 5'8"

Laura

We've got a Stokke Tripp Trapp chair. We've used it since she was a baby, and it is to last through adulthood. My daughter is 6 now, and I just adjusted the foot rest. I love it!

Someone mentioned the Keekaroo earlier today, that's another option for almost half the cost. I think I'll be saving up for one of these, so we can use one at the kitchen table, and one at the desk.

You keep moving the seat/foot stool shelves, until they are too big for the bottom shelf and you just use the seat. Calvin is 5'8"

Laura

Oh gotcha! I guess I figured the seat itself (where your hiney goes) must get too narrow given that they advertise it as going up to 36 months.

We have the Stokke chairs. They are expensive, but best investment ever!

:iagree: We have four. We got ours as a Christmas present when the girls were in leg braces.

My DH hates them because he doesn't pay attention to where he is walking and is constantly running into the leg supports, :D we have a very small kitchen.

I would love the option of one of those chairs listed, but it's just not feasible with our budget...I'd end up spending that on curriculum instead :lol: We just use our regular dining room chairs and I have a footstool for him to prop his feet on...He's really tall, so it's all he needs really :)

If you have an exercise ball, they can do "superman" poses on their belly across the ball for strengthening.

My little man is a low tone/strength kid; let me know if you want more ideas...

We do work the superman, egg, and a thousand other exercises daily. The PTs & OTs got together and make us a notebook of home exercises. We do them diligently, and it's better, but I just don't think they will ever be strong kids! :(

Can your kids pull themselves into the table and push themselves away in this chair? Or is the base too, uh, I don't know the word - not slidey? Our kitchen floor is tile, if that matters.

We have tile also and these chairs slide fine... not too much to where they are sliding all over the place but my kids are able to climb up and sit down on their own. That's actually the reason I got the first one when my DS was just a toddler. When he was about 2 he started insisting that he get into his booster seat all by himself. One day he lost his balance and fell on his head... it scared me so badly! We got the Stokke chair soon after that b/c I wanted him to be able to safely climb up and sit down on his own.

Also, we haven't had any problems with tripping over the chairs etc...

I remember a similar chair called the Hipposmile that was cheaper than the Stokke chairs.... I don't see them available on Amazon now though... Before the Tripp Trapp there was a Stokke chair called the Kinderzeat... that's what we have. They are the same chair but mine do not have the baby attachment... just a 3 point harness which is more than what we needed. Because they were discontinuing them I was able to get them for a great price.

HTH

Can your kids pull themselves into the table and push themselves away in this chair? Or is the base too, uh, I don't know the word - not slidey? Our kitchen floor is tile, if that matters.

They don't slide. The boys are used to climbing down, positioning the chairs and climbing back up.

Laura

We have narrowed it down to the Keekaroo and the Stokke Tripp Trapp.

Has anybody used BOTH the Keekaroo AND the Tripp Trapp for a period of time (like more than a few months) that can compare?

It seems like everyone on the internet loves their TTs over long periods of time, and everyone loves their K's, but the K people all seem to be commenting having just gotten them out of the box and are commenting about price.

I don't see the K people coming back after having used them for a few months and commenting on 1) how often they have to tighten them, 2) how easily they can be cleaned, 3) how they are holding up, etc.

I would LOVE to save the $100 x 4, but only if the Ks are truly as good over time! If I am going to end up replacing the Ks in 2 years, I might as well get the Stokkes now!

I can't comment on Keekaroos, but my father used his Tripp Trapps until my sisters left home (so about twenty years in all) then for my children when we went on visits. They didn't look new by the end (lots of scuffs from shoes) but they were absolutely rock solid.

We have two Tripp Trapps, bought around three years apart, and you can't tell which one is older. The boys don't wear shoes indoors and the TTs are in perfect condition.

Laura

For either where is the cheapest place to buy?

$140 with no tax & free shipping is the best price I have seen for the Keekaroo

$226 with no tax & free shipping is the best price I have seen for the Tripp Trapp - the price of that one is higher if you want a different color than natural

I have not yet investigated whether or not some places will give a discount if you buy more than one.

both of those are through Amazon (though I have looked a lot of other places)

The Stokke Tripp Trapp chair says it is for 6 to 36 months.

Not sure if someone corrected this already or not but Tripp Trapp chairs are good up to adults with a 300lb weight limit! We use these for our kids and found them all by stalking Craigslist for good deals. It's time consuming but worth it. :)

Just saw this on amazon.com. Looks great but I'm never tried it. I raises the chair you already have for about $37. I'm considering it for my 5yr old. Its called Kaboost.

I've seen something similar, but given that it doesn't have the footrest, I don't think it would be ideal for school-at-home. Perfect for meals, though, if you would rather that than a booster.

I don't see the K people coming back after having used them for a few months and commenting on 1) how often they have to tighten them, 2) how easily they can be cleaned, 3) how they are holding up, etc.

We've had our Keekaroos for about a year now. They are holding up excellently, they are super easy to clean, I've never had to tighten the 3yo's chair, and I've tightened the 10yo's maybe once or twice.

The only downside is that it is easy to trip/stub toes over the wide base, as melmichigan mentioned about the TT. We've learned to keep them out of the main traffic patterns. :001_smile:

I wrote to Stokke, explaining that I was trying to purchase 4 of their chairs for kids who were going to be homeschooled in large part to make it possible to have time to continue physical & occupational therapy. I let them know that the therapist (when I asked if they were really worth the money) highly recommended their chairs.

They helped me to get 4 at a GREAT price, and they arrived last week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these chairs!!! My handwriting-issues kiddo had an instant 1000% improvement! I have also seen a huge increase in the amount of time my kids sit calmly paying attention at the table. I hadn't realized how much dangling legs and being just a hair too low at the table contributed to their restlessness.

For anyone who is on the fence and having a hard time justifying spending that much for a chair, it's worth it. I can see now that these chairs really will work for the long term - *I* think they are more comfy than my normal kitchen chairs and am now trying to convince DH that we need them for he and I as well! SO GO FOR IT!

I wrote to Stokke, explaining that I was trying to purchase 4 of their chairs for kids who were going to be homeschooled in large part to make it possible to have time to continue physical & occupational therapy. I let them know that the therapist (when I asked if they were really worth the money) highly recommended their chairs.

They helped me to get 4 at a GREAT price, and they arrived last week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these chairs!!! My handwriting-issues kiddo had an instant 1000% improvement! I have also seen a huge increase in the amount of time my kids sit calmly paying attention at the table. I hadn't realized how much dangling legs and being just a hair too low at the table contributed to their restlessness.

For anyone who is on the fence and having a hard time justifying spending that much for a chair, it's worth it. I can see now that these chairs really will work for the long term - *I* think they are more comfy than my normal kitchen chairs and am now trying to convince DH that we need them for he and I as well! SO GO FOR IT!

:thumbup1:

Ikea have junior chairs would that be any good? They are like normal dining chairs just on longer legs.

There is a bar across the front that looks like it would be high enough to hook heels on.

Here or here

We have 2 of the Agam (first link). We've had them now for about 3 years (well one of them anyways) and they work great at the table. My kids are 5 and 6 and average height - the 5 yr old has a long torso so is the same height sitting as the 6 yr old.

We actually need to get 2 more I think as their desks are table height so we've moved the chairs there but they would still do way better at the kitchen table with these chairs.

• 1 month later...

We have been using our stepstool from IKEA for extra seating at our table and it works great for smaller kids! It is about the same height we have our Keekaroo set at and also has that support for the feet. The downside is that it has no back; but that also allows it to be stored entirely under the table.

Only $15! So if you're tight on money you might want to give it a look.

Ikea have junior chairs would that be any good? They are like normal dining chairs just on longer legs.

There is a bar across the front that looks like it would be high enough to hook heels on.

Here or here

We have two of these IKEA chairs at the dinner table where we do most of our school work. They are inexpensive and have held up pretty well, especially considering the amount of use they get and the less than stellar track record we have with most of our other IKEA furniture. My 6 and 8 year olds are beginning to grow out of them and the 29 lb 2 year old is starting to grow into them.

Has anyone tried the Euro II from One Step Ahead? It's a price my DH wouldn't balk at so much. :lol: It looks nice and wouldn't have the tripping factor (we have big feet around here and trip easily :tongue_smilie:).

My son is sitting on two dictionaries at thee kitchen table right now, and that's not the most comfortable, but it's made a HUGE difference in his writing stamina.